Top Posters(30 Days)
Kennys 33
RonDon 32
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Bonheur
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (GeorgeC1, onlymedication, SeeDiver, Buddyhog, fabila, Manpot, xrayman67, alecu7, Sunflower, steve74, ChiTownHarry, Kennys, George1234, dolfer, SXMScubaman, eightzerobits, NeilCanada, jbutah, CdnCouple, n1gdo, 5 invisible), 407 guests, and 107 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
32 minutes ago
Hard rain from 4 to 5 today. Now sun is out.
7 488 Read More
British Virgin Islands
35 minutes ago
I would estimate based on our recent charter that about 60%+ of the boats out there are transmitting an AIS signal. Still need to keep your eyes out, but it’s really becoming “easy button” sailing.
7 165 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
41 minutes ago
Someone might steal that Delta belly picture as their phone screen saver.
7 472 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
44 minutes ago
Sad, but a good thing as it’s was a danger attracting danger. Hopefully the ocean/beach will reclaim that stretch. Same with the chalets. Hopefully this will lite a fire amongst those with money in the game to either rebuild or sell.
17 1,962 Read More
British Virgin Islands
2 hours ago
I for one hope you will change your mind. frown
25 1,556 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by lhbsurf
I think Statia frequently looks like 2 islands because of the way it's shaped with the Quill volcano, dip in the middle and the small mountain to the right. It's the one to the far left of the picture.

You're correct.
10 954 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the directions and we probably saw Secret Seafood from our villa at Simpson Bay Resort.
15 1,073 Read More
British Virgin Islands
4 hours ago
Husker, the fares that are going to be in effect will rise to reflect increased seasonal demand, and I have no basis to disagree with the fares you cite as current offerings.

Again, however, I think that they prove the point that I was trying to make (and apparently failed to do effectively) which is that it is indeed a needless airport expansion that is being contemplated - contrary to Mrs. Ratman's [typically prescient and cogent] post that accurately points out that current inefficiencies could be eliminated by "development" of the existing footprint.

To be clear, the drumbeat is for "expansion" even though it's headlined as "development" and here it is from the proverbial horse's mouth ("da gub mint"): https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/bvi-airports-authority-advances-airport-development.

Note the the lead sentence in the PR: "The Government of the Virgin Islands has announced that significant progress is being made in the ongoing airport development project."

Now note this quote (and I'll only insert this portion of the text so that I don't get chided for violating the "fair use" doctrine🙄): "Honourable Rymer said, "We see this as a significant step in realising our vision for the expansion of the Terrance B Lettsome International Airport and the Territory on a whole. The overwhelming responses from reputable firms, both locally and internationally, affirms the importance and potential of this project.""

It's being referred to as "development" precisely the same way US politicians refer to "revenue enhancements" or "investments" instead of "tax increases." Unfortunately, what all of these BVI politicians are salivating over is the prospect of a mega project.
15 568 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
Last night there was amazing fireworks in Simpson bay. I only saw the end and had no chance to take a pic. Somebody from the Pelican resort had a drone that flew very close to the fireworks. Maybe someone has pictures to share
4 381 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
At the end of the walkway is a restaurant called the pier. Very good food and inexpensive
4 261 Read More
British Virgin Islands
7 hours ago
Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
My comments are not anti Wonky Dog. Peter and Dez do a great job. Anegada Reef Hotel has very good lobster. As does Lobster Trap. My favorite lunch spot is Tipsy's and my most favorite dinner spot is Sid's. The lobster tacos are excellent. Potter's ain't bad either.

Is Peter still there? Havent seen him on this blog in a long time
13 841 Read More
British Virgin Islands
7 hours ago
We are planning our next trip in April and would prefer to avoid the crowds from the Puerto Rican Navy regatta if possible. Do they always come down the week before Easter?
0 91 Read More
British Virgin Islands
9 hours ago
Keep in mind that in many oceans you have both swell and wind driven waves. Often they come from different directions. The BVI is prone to swell from the North usually generated by storms in the North Atlantic. If you hear of a big Nor’easter in the US expect a big North swell in the BVI a few days later. Those swells in the BVI have virtually no impact when you are in open water sailing. They become a factor when they reach shallow water and turn into breaking waves. Wind driven chop on the other hand is what makes things nasty when out sailing creating short duration steep waves. Usually however it has little effect on anchorages as good ones provide both shelter from the wind and not enough fetch for the waves to build. Cane Garden Bay can be a great anchorage in 30 knots of wind when you are getting hammered out on the open water. CGB is however not a good place to be in a North swell even with calm winds. The North swell is monitored by a series of buoys along the Eastern US. This leads to very accurate swell forecasts. Wind forecasts are more iffy.
As far as the impact a swell might have on a anchorage there are no set rules. Slight changes in direction can have a big impact. Each anchorage will be affected differently. In the BVI a N swell primarily impacts Cane Garden Bay for overnights. My general rule is just go somewhere else if it’s over 1.2 meters give or take. A swell will also impact day stops like the Baths, Dogs, Savannah Bay, Guana, Monkey Point ect.. A swell can also produce large loads on shallow water mooring balls if the swell lifts the boat when its position is such that the mooring line snaps tight as the boat rises. This is probably what led to a well publicized ball failure by a big Utuber. Never leave a boat on a mooring unattended in a North swell. When the swell builds to 2 meters or more it can cause issues in places you don’t expect as it wraps around land masses or reflects off others. White Bay on Jost is an example and I have seen Cooper Island impacted in a big swell. If in the USVI and moderate or larger swell will take out all the great North side anchorages on St John.
5 466 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
9 hours ago
That's kind of what I thought, but thought I just hadn't been following it that closely.
2 303 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
11 hours ago
I recently flew out of SXM and found the security process to be quite smooth, definitely not needing four hours. It could be worth checking the latest updates directly with Air Canada. You can reach out to them using the air canada phone number for the most accurate information. In my experience, two to three hours before departure is usually sufficient.
12 1,517 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
12 hours ago
Looks very good, but the price omg
40 2,730 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:32 PM
Yes, Phil, that's true.
6 741 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
OK, thanks. Just looked kinda odd.
10 657 Read More
Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises
Yesterday at 07:39 PM
Blind Creek, but don’t tell anybody. send them to haulover or playalinda
6 327 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 06:28 PM
Was there a calendar feature that showed who was around at one point?

I'm headed down later today! There through the 29th.
7 653 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 06:22 PM
I have to give FLJim credit. I stole his technique from over in the Anegada thread as I liked it so much.
4 274 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:21 PM
Thanks for the report. Looks like a lovely little villa.
5 648 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 04:02 PM
Nature will do as nature does. I would think as the trade winds ease, more sargassum "islands" will form and they will occasionally be brought into contact with the islands by winds and currents. It kind of is what it is and has been happening since the beginning of time. It won't ruin your trip unless you let it.

I remember growing up in Miami how the launching basin at CRYC used to get absolutely full of the stuff for months at a time during the summer. It got so thick at times you almost thought you could walk across it. If I recall correctly, we even convinced some poor trusting child try give it a try from time to time. It wasn't always appealing, but never stopped us from launching our Opti's and getting in a good day of sailing or anything else. In fact, we found fun and creative ways of enforcing group norms by tricking those who may have tested the groups rules or patience into hanging from the hoist hook and swinging them out over the seaweed as we called it and lowering them until they showed contrition. Ah, the good ole days. It also taught us the importance of boat maintenance and proper cleaning along with the value of maintaining a good coat of Teflon wax.
7 502 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 03:03 PM
Jeff,
We thoroughly researched this subject. Our insurance folks were specific that if required and the emergency medical treatment was unavailable in SXM, (which would be a hospital and appropriate Doctor) the medical people in SXM would need to contact our insurance people and a preauthorization for medical evacuation would be issued by the insurance company. We confirmed that cost would be the responsibility of the insurance firm. I did not claim that evacuation would be to my home hospital but would be to a qualified medical facility. We are aware of your relationship with SkyMed but since we are 78/75, we are also aware of that cost. We simply just asked our personal insurance representitive and as stated, you must get the very best care during an emergency medical event. We know some folks want to go home, we would like to get to the nearest, in network, facility in the USA. Will we get additional coverage? We might. There are many websites that offer choices, length of coverage, and associated costs for folks like us.
23 1,497 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 10:56 AM
It will fix itself. Takes a bit of time.
9 861 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2