TravelTalkOnline

OSPP Political party wants more taxes

Posted By: SXMScubaman

OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 03:10 PM

Interesting read. Lots of taxes and fees proposed. Some for visitors.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/59851-ospp-plans-to-implement-garbage-and-enviro-taxes-2
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 03:45 PM

Wonder how they would implement those taxes on tourists? Sounds like something popular to propose, that would never pass in a million years. One of the other parties was proposing a REAL ESTATE TAX, which is a lot more likely to be able to be implemented against tourists, and to have a big effect on land sales on the Dutch side. Doubt that one will pass either though.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 05:55 PM

The environment tax of NAf. 36 could be collected when you purchase your airfare. No one would most likely notice the extra $20 on their airfare.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 06:27 PM

Just like they do with the departure tax. Cruise lines could just be charged extra per passenger along with the port fee and tack that on to the price of the cruise.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 06:32 PM

And what about the proposed tourist driver's license? Wonder what that fee would be and will it effect car rental business?

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 06:34 PM

As I said, I really doubt any of these measures will actually pass. Very unpopular, to require tourists to obtain a specific driver's license..
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 06:53 PM

many countries in Europe require a International D.L., not very expensive and you can get them at AAA
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 08:23 PM

Carol_Hill said:
As I said, I really doubt any of these measures will actually pass. Very unpopular, to require tourists to obtain a specific driver's license..

Anguilla already does it and it doesn't stop people from renting cars there.

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 08:26 PM

Anguilla can get away with it. SXM can't..
Posted By: silverfox82

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 09:35 PM

Roll it in to the price, make it part of the paperwork, no big deal for me.
Posted By: Antigua

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 11:32 PM

Antigua does it as well. 20 bucks for a temp license valid for 3 months
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/30/2016 11:45 PM

The proposals that are listed in the article are a bunch of pie in the sky dreaming from a group that wants everyone else to pay for their goofy ideas. One of the most important lines in the article is at the very end and it tells you that the nuts don't even have a sitting member in parliament. This won't be happening anytime soon.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: OSPP Political party wants more taxes - 08/31/2016 11:47 AM

sail2wind said:
many countries in Europe require a International D.L., not very expensive and you can get them at AAA

And there are lots of restrictions on them too. Example: age. As it is restrictions now in SXM means soon we we'll be too old to rent anyway. But, it could be overlooked. With international it can't.

Good news is, as Carol says implies not set in stone; just a discussion.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline