TravelTalkOnline

Whatever happened to....

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Whatever happened to.... - 01/24/2018 03:35 PM

One TTOL member has requested that we start a thread for people to ask what happened to particular businesses or people, that someone has a question about.

Their question had to do with G's snack bar in Grand Case and the owner, Giselle. Any info appreciated.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/24/2018 07:11 PM

And I'd love to know if artist Jean-Pierre Straub's gallery and workroom survived.
Posted By: pburke40

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/24/2018 09:44 PM

Anyone know recent news about Hilma, Hilma's Castle? I heard that she is ok, but anyone know about her house and business?
Posted By: bbeach

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/25/2018 02:30 AM

We have been wondering about G's snack also, I have heard she was about to open but don't know if correct or not, we will be there in two weeks and will find out then I guess.
Posted By: GerryT

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/25/2018 03:35 PM

Also wondering if anyone knows if Pedro's plans on rebuilding. Some nice people worked there and would love to see them back in business. Any news on Colin the chair guy?
Thanks
Posted By: PattyH

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/25/2018 07:20 PM

This is a great topic. I always want to know where the great chefs move to. I still remember a great meal at Romantica, a short lived restaurant. But I hope this is a popular board.
Posted By: candj

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/25/2018 11:21 PM

What happened to the Palm Beach bar on Orient Beach? Did it survive? I thought it had a better chance to survive since it was made from a lot of brick.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/25/2018 11:37 PM

I heard that Koko and Marina sold Palm Beach before the hurricane. I also heard that the new owner plans to rebuild. I heard neither of these things first hand, so take it for what it's worth.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/27/2018 04:31 PM

Looks like this is turning into two other threads....
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/27/2018 05:18 PM

Yes, not sure why we need three different threads...
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/27/2018 06:11 PM

JazzGal...did you hear from Ruby Bute?
Posted By: xraylady

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/27/2018 07:18 PM

Does any one know the status of the Karibuni Lodge in Cul de Sac? Same people that own the Karibuni restaurant on Pinel.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/27/2018 10:20 PM

What ever happened to Phillippe from Captain Oliver's Restaurant. Dinghy Dock is closed as well... so sad frown
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/28/2018 12:33 AM

Phillipe lives in Fort Myers Florida and is a real estate agent there.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/28/2018 01:50 AM

Easy. Close the ones with the least amount of responses.

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/28/2018 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
JazzGal...did you hear from Ruby Bute?

I've seen several pictures of her on Facebook. I get the impression her gallery may have suffered some damage, but I think it's back open. She is okay.
Posted By: OllieEh

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/28/2018 04:00 PM

Whatever happened to The Secret Spot? The t-shirts were amazing quality and a perfect place to buy souvenirs for family. Is she back at the market?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/28/2018 04:07 PM

I do think I saw them open about a month back on a sort of busy market day. Hard to tell just driving by, but there was someone set up on the their "spot".
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 01/28/2018 08:52 PM

Palm Beach in Orient was one of our favorite restaurants and beaches (fun waves) on the Island. Friendly staff as well as great food. Come to think of it, we learned to order early since they were known for running out of their specials. If anyone knows more about the future of Palm Beach, please let all of us know.
Posted By: OllieEh

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/05/2018 01:33 PM

Is Booze-It-Up in Simpson Bay still in business? It was nice to pre-order all our favourite brands and pick them up when we arrived.

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/05/2018 01:38 PM

Yes, Booze It Up is open
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/05/2018 01:59 PM

The dingy dock is open have a friend working there
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/05/2018 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by pburke40
Anyone know recent news about Hilma, Hilma's Castle? I heard that she is ok, but anyone know about her house and business?

I would love info about Hilma and also Bernadine from Paradise View. In fact, all the folks up there, including the restaurant. When we went at the end of October it was heartbreaking.

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/11/2018 12:18 PM

Bernadine will be at Harmony Nights or whatever it's called starting Tuesday. Great thanks to https://allaboutasmile.org/ for helping her get what she needs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/685400055182098/

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/11/2018 11:57 PM

God bless Jeff Jhangiani for all he is doing. joy
Posted By: sxmParrotfish

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/12/2018 09:56 PM

Anyone know the status of Yellow Beach at Pinel and Stephen/Oliver? There is info out there about Karibuni including a YouTube video but any info on Yellow Beach would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/14/2018 05:09 AM

This is the email from Lucie of Paradise view dated 10/16/2017:
Dear David and Louise,

Thanks you very much for thinking of me.

Me and Tia went back to France in our family.
I'm pregnant and I'm going to stay there during the pregnancy, Laurent is still in saint martin and should join us soon.

The restaurant is partially destroyed and the owner of the building was not insured so it will take time to reopen.

I really hope that we can see you again in the future
I hope you are fine you and your family

take care and thanks again for everything
Lucie, Laurent Tia and ... Future baby
Posted By: SURICK

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/14/2018 04:23 PM

Dinghy Dock where Shrimpy's (remember best shrimp on island) was located is open, not the original in Oyster Pond. The smart owner moved his supplies from Oyster Pond before Irma hit and moved it over to Simpson Bay. Stroke of genius in hindsight!

Re: Whatever happened to.... - 02/14/2018 04:32 PM

Dingy Dock has been in Simpson Bay for a couple of years now.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline