TravelTalkOnline

Wine champagne customs allowance

Posted By: PelicanPirate

Wine champagne customs allowance - 06/21/2018 12:41 PM

Ive generally stayed under 2 bottles of stuff plus some ma dou dou.

But what happens if i bring home 4 bottles of french wine/champagne?

How high is the duty? Based on the bottle or cost of the bottle?
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Wine champagne customs allowance - 06/21/2018 01:41 PM

I think it is based on the amount of alcohol irrespective of the cost. I have brought home as many as six liters of alcohol and declared them at customs. I said I would pay the duty. I was just waved through. Duty was not worth collecting. Just be sure you declare the alcohol.
Posted By: Fletch

Re: Wine champagne customs allowance - 06/21/2018 02:35 PM

Declare the 4 bottles, like Bluesfan says chances are you'll just be waived through. However, if they decide to charge you duty it won't amount to very much, certainly less than you paid for the champagne.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Wine champagne customs allowance - 06/21/2018 10:16 PM

Thanks all. Have someone in italy bringing wine and i wanted them to pick up french champagne at charles de gaule on way home. This helps and they will bring both.
Posted By: candj

Re: Wine champagne customs allowance - 06/21/2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
Ive generally stayed under 2 bottles of stuff plus some ma dou dou.

But what happens if i bring home 4 bottles of french wine/champagne?

How high is the duty? Based on the bottle or cost of the bottle?

We have brought as many as 6 bottles back through Charlotte, and have always declared them, and have been waved through with no problem.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Wine champagne customs allowance - 06/21/2018 11:31 PM

A few years ago I brought back 16 LT for the two on us and when questioned was sent over to inspectors to pay duty. Duty came to $23 and change. Customs agent was mad that I was sent over to pay as it was more work for him than what was collected. Now we only bring back 6-10 depending on my mood and have always sailed through Miami or CLT. It's not a big priority for them.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline