TravelTalkOnline

Wrecked freighter picture

Posted By: BeachKitten

Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 12:04 AM

Try as I might, I cannot find a picture that I recall of a freighter (?) or other boat that stranded itself in Simpson Bay near BSV after Luis (?) again....CRS is in full swing...lol

Does anyone remember that picture or event? If so, please share!

Thank you.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:05 AM

Is this the image you are thinking about?

Description: Luis
Attached picture 8EF46485-8751-4C0A-9C4E-B528217EBAB6.jpeg
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:27 AM

Pretty sure it was named Sandy. I think also same one after 1999 Lenny.

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:37 AM

That is “Sandy” and it was after Lenny in 1999.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 01:23 PM

Here is a pic of my better half next to the freighter

Attached picture Beach (10).JPG
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 01:25 PM

What was the condition of BSV after Lenny? I wasn't staying there at the time, but I think there was significant damage ??

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Here is a pic of my better half next to the freighter

That is a freaking awesome pic! Thank you. And yes, that's the shot I was looking for. Having a person in the pic really helps with scale! wink

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 01:58 PM

Carol...if you enlarge the pic and then open in a new tab you can enlarge again....in the distance BSV is visibly damaged, pool is lifted up and sideways, sand /debris is inside the visible units. I will try to find my pics from back then since I know I have pics of BSV BUT...that was many computers ago. Hopefully I backed them up

The posted pic was in a saved file

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:04 PM

The picture bdeeley posted is tagged 'Luis"...so that was '95.

Did the same dang boat wash up TWICE?! lol

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:32 PM

A few more images.

Attached picture p2210013.jpg
Attached picture jpg00017.jpg
Attached picture p2210008.jpg
Attached picture p3120085.jpg

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:36 PM

No, washed up once. Tag is wrong.
Posted By: pat

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
The picture bdeeley posted is tagged 'Luis"...so that was '95.

Did the same dang boat wash up TWICE?! lol

We stayed at Mary's Boon the Spring after Luis. Mark and Carla Cleveland were in the process of cleaning up the destruction that had happened there the previous Fall. They had sustained a lot of damage and were, in fact, in the process of rebuilding their dining room which had been destroyed but they still managed to serve a wonderful breakfast with tables under an awning. Mark shared a cup of coffee with us one morning during our stay and he and my DH were talking about the reconstruction going on. Mark swore to us, given the foundation and rebar he was putting under it, that building would never again be wiped out as it had been in the previous storm.

I thought I remembered walking that beach and seeing the freighter beached in the sand during that trip. and at the same time, I recall some of the damage to other properties, one of which, in retrospect, I thought to have been Beachside Villas with the pool tilted and twisted on end, but in honesty, I wasn't remotely familiar with BSV at that time. As I recall, on that one fateful walk, the destruction was horrendous. We saw buildings destroyed and brought to the ground along with pools damaged and some turned on end. But the ship, I thought, was still the Sandy.

That said, it's all together possible I have gotten my dates and storms and ships confused. There were several storms back in that time frame and some were almost in back to back years or so it seems, in retrospect.

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
No, washed up once. Tag is wrong.

Is it a picture that you took?

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 04:54 PM

boucharda--I just have my laptop here and can't figure out how to enlarge the pic. I do remember that there was a lot of damage after Lenny, which was odd, because for most of the island, Lenny was kind of a non-issue, I think..

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 05:40 PM

I could not find the raw pics. I found other saved pics from that time but none of BSV...probably toast with a computer drive

Re: enlarge....(Windows) right click on pic....choose "save picture as"....use "desktop" as destination... click on shortcut for the pic and a picture viewer will open. Easy to enlarge from there (+)

Obviously you can enlarge in the thread but not enough to decently see BSV

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 05:45 PM

Here's an attempt at posting a worked on capture from the enlarged original pic...click on it to enlarge but pixels are way too enlarged

Attached picture BSV capture2.jpg

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 07:26 PM

No. That, along with quite a few other photos were shared with me many years ago. I can't speak to their origin.

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 08:46 PM

Wow, ok, thanks for the picture..
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 11:19 PM

We are here now, one of the ships propellers is still in room 14. Lol. Just kidding, we are seeing this thread and showing the pictures to the staff, it has been hilarious seeing their reactions to these pictures. They were all here and remember that event very vividly.

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/01/2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SXMFOX
We are here now, one of the ships propellers is still in room 14. Lol. Just kidding, we are seeing this thread and showing the pictures to the staff, it has been hilarious seeing their reactions to these pictures. They were all here and remember that event very vividly.

Ask them what year it was! lol

We seem to have various recollections.

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 04:45 PM

It was hurricane Lenny in 1999, staff confirmed it today. When it came ashore, it swung around and clipped the #14 unit and destroyed the pool area. We will be erecting a moment in its memory this afternoon, lol!

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 05:56 PM

Didn't realize that is what happened to the pool. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: pat

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 06:03 PM

Foxy,

Thank you for the clarification on the year and like Carol, I didn't realize it was Sandy that took out the pool. I don't know why I thought it was from an earlier storm - the mind is a dangerous thing to lose..........!!

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 07:17 PM

Anytime, yes when the ship turned, it took out the out side bed room, bathroom and the rest of #14 facing the parking lot. That is crazy, and the gazebo stood during hurricane Irma, but I guess t didn’t have a Sandy bumping up against it lol. As soon as the nap is done the memorial will be erected! All have fun!

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 07:50 PM

What fun! So glad I started the thread. Interesting stuff!

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 08:15 PM

Yup...memories

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/02/2018 11:06 PM

Yew also. We will be bringing the propeller home in our carry-on. Hope it fits in the over head! lol!
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/03/2018 06:58 PM

How was the ship removed? Looks huge.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/03/2018 07:11 PM

I was wondering the same thing!

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/03/2018 10:41 PM

We removed it yesterday with a small boat during high tide, LOL. Really not sure how that was accomplished, but we will find out.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/04/2018 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by SXMFOX
We removed it yesterday with a small boat during high tide, LOL. Really not sure how that was accomplished, but we will find out.

Amazing what 150 proof rum can accomplish.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/04/2018 11:54 AM

That's a heck of a boat captain!
Posted By: pburke40

Re: Wrecked freighter picture - 09/04/2018 12:00 PM

Wasn't there a very large ship grounded in Marigot after one of the hurricanes, too? Luis, I believe?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline