TravelTalkOnline

Restaurant Changes

Posted By: jazzgal

Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:00 AM

In Jeff Berger's current newsletter, the following is reported:

Mario's Bistro will move from Porto Cupecoy to The Cliffs and be renamed Mario's at The Cliff.

Topper's is purchasing The Carousel and moving their restaurant as well as the distillery to the Carousel location. The Gelateria will remain open.

More details in his newsletter.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 11:18 AM

Where are The Cliffs located?
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 11:38 AM

The Cliff is in Cupecoy, between the Cupecoy Beach Club and Rainbow.
Posted By: pburke40

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 12:17 PM

The Toppers move will be interesting. I don’t see how the Carousel space can accommodate the restaurant and Topper’s distillery also. ( and parking? )
Posted By: George1234

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 12:49 PM

Where is the Carousel?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 12:57 PM

pburke--that's what I thought too, unless the Carousel building is a lot larger than I thought it was. Although that won't affect me, as I haven't been to Toppers in YEARS and not about to start now.

What I do wonder about is parking at the Cliff for Mario's. From what I remember, the entrance to the Cliff is a gate. Is there a security guard there at night, to open the gate?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 01:04 PM

I think the property where the Carousel is extends to the back pretty far. It has been a couple of years since I walked around there but it is a little bigger than one would think.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 01:06 PM

It must be bigger than it looks from the front.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 01:32 PM

Had lunch at the restaurant at The Cliff a few years back. The gate is remotely engaged by security somewhere on the property. I think there's a button to contact security, you tell them why you are there and they buzz you in. BIG parking lot.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 01:44 PM

OK, thanks.
Posted By: pat

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 01:55 PM

With regard to Mario’s potential move to the Cliffs, I’m sure the powers that be have done all the appropriate logistical studies but I just can’t image this to be a great move. Between the Cliffs entrance requiring assistance, the narrow main road in that area and the high volume of already existing traffic, not to even mention the occasional issues of Lake Mullet and the possible issues it might bring about, and finally, the increased traffic to the area in general, to me it just doesn’t sound good. But what do I know?

We really enjoyed Mario’s at Porto Cupecoy and particularly appreciated the parking and the picturesque courtyard for walking off some of those dinner calories.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:04 PM

I'm kind of with you on this one, Pat. I liked the current location.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:05 PM

Traffic in Cupecoy? Under normal circumstances there is little traffic here, and now? There's no traffic anywhere! And you have to go thru Mullet to get to Porto Cupecoy too. Rhine Road once past the golf course is one of widest roads on the island.

Don't remember our meal at The Cliff, but the setting was beautiful!

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:10 PM

I guess there would be some amazing sunsets from there..

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:22 PM

Starting in the next few weeks!
Posted By: kim

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Starting in the next few weeks!

I’m excited!!!!! Also hoping this is a sign of maybe the Starz complex being worked on!! But not holding me breathe!!!

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 02:59 PM

Nope, all quiet there. But across the street is up to about 16 floors and still pouring concrete. Second tower started I'm told. Glass arriving too!

New water tower construction down the road stopped for COVID has not resumed.

The island is lush, the water mostly calm. However the breezes have died down and it continues to be HOT HOT HOT.

All the news from Cupecoy Peninsula!

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:07 PM

Traffic in Cupecoy? Under normal circumstances there is little traffic here, and now? There's no traffic anywhere! And you have to go thru Mullet to get to Porto Cupecoy too. Rhine Road once past the golf course is one of widest roads on the island.

Don't remember our meal at The Cliff, but the setting was beautiful!

I stand corrected by one who knows all things islandy! smile smile

But personally speaking, and while I can’t speak to anything on the island at this point, back in the time we stayed in that area, pulling out of the Towers driveway was often problematic due to traffic.

I really did enjoy walking around PC after dinner and checking out the boats moored there but times, they are a changing....

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:12 PM

Nope, all quiet there. But across the street is up to about 16 floors and still pouring concrete. Second tower started I'm told. Glass arriving too!

New water tower construction down the road stopped for COVID has not resumed.

The island is lush, the water mostly calm. However the breezes have died down and it continues to be HOT HOT HOT.

All the news from Cupecoy Peninsula!

Thanks!! Yeah that tower is crazy. They dumped/sprayed concrete all over the cars and buildings at Cupecoy Beach Club! Crazy pictures but I don’t know the outcome. Hope all is open and running smooth at the restaurants around the college, Probably all we will go to!! Plan to come 10/16 if all things work out!!!!!

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:21 PM

Well, Sunday afternoons is a whole 'nother thing. Even now, it turns into a one way road with cars parked everywhere. But that's been forever.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:24 PM

We've been to Fat Tony's (got a bit too crowded for us - our mistake to go on music night) and Spaghetti House for take away the other evening. Bar Code says reopening October sometime. Quite a few other things open, including Jules Bakery. Many nights it's very quiet, like everywhere.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:46 PM

Elaine, are there any plans to bring the university students back yet? Or are they still dispersed in England?

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:49 PM

I guess my problem is that I'm an OLD old-timer these days and I remember the island when she was, IMHO, at her absolute best - no timeshares (and yes, I dare say this as a former ts owner but one whose property had little impact on the island at all.....) and few high rises and little or no traffic anywhere - EVER!

If I had my way, I would have vetoed every piece of construction on the ocean side of Rhine Road from just beyond the low-rise Cupecoy Beach Club all the way to the last high-rise along the road there and since it's been so long since we've been down, anything else that may now exist or be under construction on the ocean side of the road there. I would have allowed those beautiful views to stand for all who traveled the area. And likewise, on the other side of the road, too. I wouldn't have permitted the Blue Mall or the new high-rise building on the golf course to be built either.

That which obstructs or takes away from the natural views is a sacrilege to me but again, that's purely my personal opinion. I know that's not a popular one but again, IMO, the island has almost always failed to preserve and protect her most beautiful features and sold out to big dollars and mega-investors. But the good news - at least their sell-out has allowed happy home ownership to you and many others who actually do live there every day and enjoy and appreciate the views and the area. I always thought of that area as 'the quiet little corner of the island but not so much anymore.

Edited to add - great to hear that so many places are open and/or planning to reopen soon. My fear was that might not happen. I can't imagine how much more the people of SXM can overcome - but God Bless them, they do!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 03:55 PM

AUC has been in operation for a long time now.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 05:08 PM

That is great news... Toppers and the rhum factory on the same location. That will be a big move for Toppers and moving that carousel out to who knows where.

P.S I hope they don’t disassemble the carousel and make a bar out of it. Haha!

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 05:19 PM

I believe they were back for some time. Many left when COVID hit. Some have come back for the new term, but I believe it is all distance learning.
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 07:43 PM

I'm glad to hear that the gelateria at the Carousel won't be affected (supposedly) by Topper's move!

I'm a bit disappointed by Mario's move, since lately we have been staying in Porto Cupecoy itself. I loved the location and it was so convenient to be able to just take the elevator down and walk over in 5 minutes!!

We last dined there in early February, just before we headed home into the embrace of the lockdown. The food and location was great, but I surprisingly found the service a bit spotty. They seemed a bit short-staffed that night, which may have contributed to it. It also wasn't helped by the fact our waiter seemed preoccupied by the attractive women at the next table!!! LOL!!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 08:30 PM

I have no interest at all in Toppers, but am disappointed to hear that Mario is moving from Porto Cupecoy; that was a great location.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 09:40 PM

Ditto, Pat. Hubby always complained when I said I wanted to go to Porto Cupecoy because either too much traffic, or no lighting or a river in the road. Now, if we even get to return I'll tell him it will be a shorter drive to Marios since we won't be going on to PCoup.

As the Topper's at the Carousel I don't think there's much parking. We loved Frency Ludo's but probably will never return due to parking problem.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 09:57 PM

The Cliff doesn’t seem like a customer friendly location but I’m sure it will be nice.

Toppers news seems interesting. Buy or lease? Can not imagine they could rationalize Or afford buying that nice expensive building for a restaurant with just mediocre food. Plus seems like they would have to do a lot of construction to configure it better for a restaurant operation. And with COVID-19 I would think more people are looking more for open air dining rather someplace like that with no windows and so closed in. Hopefully they keep the ice cream aspect. Will be interesting to see if and when happens.
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/13/2020 10:03 PM

?? It's across the road. Both are in Cupecoy. Am I missing something. If you had to drive through the "river" before, you still will have to.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 12:32 AM

Went to Fat Tony's this afternoon for their footlong hot dog. Nobody there but me and a guy whose always there doing paperwork.. Had to drive by the golf course and the sides of the road were jammed with park cars. Their footlomgs have been a big favorite of mine.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 12:38 AM

I consider Topper to be a very good friend His parking area has been cut in half by a row of boulders. Maybe that's why moving has entered the field.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 12:49 AM

And he has a big project along our White Sands Road in Beacon Hill.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 01:05 AM

I think the Carousel was for sale for a bit over $3 million, I think it could be a good location and certainly has the nicest bathrooms of any place on island that serves food or drink. I would assume that price included real estate. Not a fan of when I went to Toppers but I do wish them the best of luck. Hard for me to imagine Mario's at The Cliffs, but I have not been in there but may try this next trip, sounds like an interesting location.

Make you wonder what will go in where Toppers and Marty's was.
Posted By: 320sycamore

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 01:12 AM

Somewhat off topic, and i apologize if so, but is any or the restaurants mentioned here near the old Cliffhangers'?

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 01:29 AM

Yes they all are .
Posted By: 320sycamore

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 01:33 AM

thanks, is the old Cliffhangers location no longer used?

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/14/2020 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by 320sycamore

thanks, is the old Cliffhangers location no longer used?

Restaurant been gone for years. It was a sun deck for the owners of Cupecoy Beach Club until IRma.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/15/2020 11:41 AM

I know one night we were at Mario's, and someone was robbed just around the corner from the front door, so will give Mario's another try in the new location.

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/15/2020 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sxmbeachlover
I know one night we were at Mario's, and someone was robbed just around the corner from the front door, so will give Mario's another try in the new location.

Did this happen at the original location in Sandy Ground or Porto Cupecoy???

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/15/2020 12:59 PM

Kim--that's what I was thinking. The original location was in a very hinky neighborhood.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Restaurant Changes - 09/15/2020 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Kim--that's what I was thinking. The original location was in a very hinky neighborhood.

VERY hinky! That's why he moved to Port Cupecoy.

Le Sental was across the bridge, but in the same general area. They had a private gated lot for guests cars for this very reason. I'm sorry that Irma destroyed their home AND business. frown
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline