TravelTalkOnline

AA Question

Posted By: Jaybird

AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:05 PM

Is there a way to upload your documents and check in online with AA? I got an email telling me to check in online and then when I tried I get a message telling me I have to check in with an agent. Just wondering if there was a work around this issue?
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:16 PM

As far as I can tell, not for SXM. Some destinations you can use Verifly.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:21 PM

In June this year, we could not check in online with AA.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:25 PM

Same here in May both going to SXM and returning to the USA.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:42 PM

However: My wife (Cleta) got an email this morning from United stating that we hadn't yet uploaded our documents, as we're going to a country where they're required. She called the airline, stating that we hadn't been told we had to. The woman at United said that it will make it easier at the airport. We'll see tomorrow.

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:50 PM

Different airlines handle it differently. I understand that some people have been able to check in online with Jet Blue.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Different airlines handle it differently. I understand that some people have been able to check in online with Jet Blue.

We had no problem checking in with Jet Blue, just couldn't print Boarding Passes

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 05:17 PM

I didn't know that. Duh, it's kind of useless if you can't print boarding passes!
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 05:30 PM

I didn't know that. Duh, it's kind of useless if you can't print boarding passes!

Some airlines determine involuntary denied boarding order based on check in time. The only other benefit I can think of to allowing online checkin without printing boarding passes is the option to pay for checked bags before arriving at the airport.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 05:37 PM

We were able to check in on line and print boarding passes coming and going in October last year and June this year with Jet Blue.

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 05:53 PM

I'm sure that was a big time saver for you Elaine, if you didn't check bags..

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 06:01 PM

Being able to check in online lets the airline know you indeed plan on taking the flight and helps secure you from being bumped. Not a guarantee but a plus.

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 06:44 PM

Never a checked bag!

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 06:51 PM

Elaine--I figured that would be the case, unless you had bought something in the US that you wanted to take back to SXM.
Posted By: pat

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 07:18 PM

Jaybird,

We flew AA r/t in April and were able to check in on line but as others have said, once we got to the ‘print boarding passes’ section we were unable to go any further. I questioned the counter agent at our airport check-in about the ‘how come.’ And she said it does speed things up but they have to verify all the paperwork and passports in person.
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 08:04 PM

Same thing happened to us in June at JFK with AA. It was so early in the morning, the line went quick as did the agent checking our documents. All good.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Never a checked bag!

I may definitely be in the minority here but going to SXM (or anywhere) we are allowed two checked bags....and we use that allowance. Much easier than dragging bags on to the aircraft and hoping to find over head space....we might have to wait 20-30 minutes for the bags but in my brain it makes getting on and off the aircraft easier.

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 10:18 PM

We always check 2 each and also carry on a bag each. Flying FC you are allowed 2 free each and we make good use of it.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: AA Question - 07/16/2021 11:32 PM

We used to check two huge bags, and also had the two allowable bags in the cabin. We found we came home with most of our clothes unworn. For the past few years we've traveled carry-on only for our three week trip. It makes clearing immigration and customs on the return trip so much easier! This past trip we did check a bag on the way down, which contained all of our sunscreens, lotions, shaving cream, etc. The bag was one we didn't care about losing, so we just left it on the island when we departed.

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 12:57 AM

We’re in the habit of checking a bag each. I used to think AA put those shocking pinkish-orangish tags on them to tell the ground crew in SXM to off-load them last. At least that’s the way it often seemed but I have to give them credit since our last 3 or 4 trips on AA our bags have been waiting on the carousel when we got to it and we’ve always cleared immigration relatively fast.

I have done carry-on only but I’m inclined to agree with those who think it’s just not worth the effort. These days we each take our personal backpacks with our meds and electronics. Our next few flights are on JB and we had to pay to check bags but to me, it’s worth it, but perhaps before I book anymore JB trips I’ll get the JB travel credit card that gives you free bags. At $99.00 per year it’s still less costly than shipping a bag each round trip.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 01:26 AM

We have been dealing with the same property managers(two lovely women) for the last 7 years. We go twice a year, and we have a very large duffle bag that we leave with them in their office. They are kind enough to have it waiting for us upon arrival on each trip. It has suntan lotions, hangers, Bloody Mary and Wine glasses, kitchen utensils and knives and dozens of many other items we need and use. Our list of items in this bag stretches over 2 pages.

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 02:16 AM

We do the same keeping a storage box on island. 2 page list too. Don't keep suntan lotions as we go once a year and take new ones with us every year.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 02:37 AM

I still have a bag stowed on the island, but It rarely gets used anymore. I should donate the contents.

At one time (and they may still) DL allowed three 70lb bags per FC passenger. Between us, we could bring 420lbs of "stuff". We rarely exercised that privilege, but when we did, there were many things in there which were being carried down for island friends.

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 02:43 AM

AA allows 2 at 70lbs each for FC. Ours rarely go over 50 each.
Posted By: BarbiedollRalph

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 11:02 AM

Did AA make a change and now allow one free checked bag to SXM for coach passengers?

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 11:10 AM

NO

1st checked bag is complimentary for:

Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator® and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated itineraries)
AAdvantage® Gold
oneworld® Ruby

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 12:04 PM

We ship a box back filled with our shopping each time

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 12:59 PM

That's nice that someone would store your stuff for you. That is very convenient. But bdeeley--I have to ask--hangers??? The place you stay doesn't have enough hangers???

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 01:11 PM

Yes, most assuredly, the women folk want their hangers, with the clips, for hanging their skirts and capris and other quality standard hangers for their tops and b-suits.

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 01:25 PM

OK. 90% of the stuff I take to SXM, it doesn't really matter whether it's hung up or not! laugh

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 01:39 PM

We had a favorite maid at the Towers who, for almost twenty years, used to hold a wheelie carry-on bag for us filled with things we thought we needed that weren’t in our timeshare. After Irma we made BSV our new place of choice snd discovered they had everything there and that bag was no longer needed. And then we realized they had a commercial laundry service working for them that is reasonably priced and does a great job.

But we still end up with two bags to ship every trip! I guess I’m just a glutton for punishment! 😊😊

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 02:52 PM

We don't store hangers in out Storage Box. Even though there are ample hangers in our condo we pack some stuff with hangers attached in our suit cases. Just open up suit case and hang.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 07:50 PM

I have to ask--hangers??? The place you stay doesn't have enough hangers???

When I checked in at Divi in June, there were six, SIX, hangers on the clothes rod. Fortunately, I travel with foldable hangers so it was okay. I was disappointed with Divi in several respects this year, and that was one of them.

Re: AA Question - 07/17/2021 08:10 PM

Linda--sorry you were disappointed.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline