TravelTalkOnline

Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy

Posted By: Mikel

Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/15/2023 06:56 PM

Now that Jet Blue has dropped the Fort Lauderdale to SXM route, my wife is going to fly on Sprit for the first time in March. I know that Spirit is low cost, no frills but I fear that they live off the extra fees.

So I looked at their baggage limitations and the overall bag size they allow includes the wheels and hers is over by an inch. My question is, has anyone ever seen a Spirit agent in SXM take out a rule and measure a checked bag? I know I haven't, but have never flown Spirit before.

I then also looked at American's (which is what we usually fly in on) and theirs is the same. She has had this bag a few years and never a problem before.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/15/2023 08:06 PM

Yes, not a ruler but luggage (carry-on ) placed in a pre measured box. Last year we bought new carry-on bags because of that darn 1" . And check when you see a luggage sale because most are the ones with the bigger measurement.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/15/2023 09:25 PM

Checked bag or carry-on bag? Spirit and their kind definitely might look at your carry-on bag, but not a checked bag. The bag she wants to CHECK is over-sized?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/15/2023 09:59 PM

"The bag she wants to CHECK is over-sized?"
I find that hard to believe that measurement was for a checked bag. Carry on yes, checked no.
Posted By: sxm1986

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/15/2023 11:29 PM

Yes they have web pages for the bag prices, specific to the flight. For FLL to SXM, CHECKED bags over H+W+L=62 inches get an additional oversize fee of $100. There is also an overweight fee if over 40 lb.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/15/2023 11:35 PM

Yes, checked bag. Just talked to a couple that have been flying Spirit to and from FLL the last few years and they confirmed that you probably won't see it done here. They said maybe on the FLL to SXM leg which I am not worried about.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/16/2023 12:01 AM

Seriously, just check a smaller bag...
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/16/2023 01:39 AM

I have a suggestion if you're over-sized. Pay. If you don't care to pay then buy smaller bag.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Spirit Airlines SXM Baggage Policy - 02/16/2023 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bahston
I have a suggestion if you're over-sized. Pay. If you don't care to pay then buy smaller bag.

Then you have to pay both ways.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline