TravelTalkOnline

Car rental for December trip

Posted By: sxmmartini

Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 02:53 PM

Need to find a new car rental agency. The last trip was a bad experience with a manager with a really bad attitude.
The arrival to the airport thru immigration sounds like a nightmare. Looking for a smile and a smooth car rental experience.
Please give contact numbers or online info from a rental car company you have used recently. Thanks!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 02:59 PM

We've been using Alain Arnell at Triple AAA for over a decade. Email him at tripleaaa@caribserve.net. Tell him Georgia recommended him. His cars aren't brand new, and they have French plates, both of which are important to us.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 03:29 PM

Been using Hertz for over 20 years. Never a glitch.
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 03:44 PM

We’ve used Kenny’s car rental for years. Service is excellent and we’ve never had any problems with the car. You can find them in the sponsors section of this site.
Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 03:50 PM

We've used Leisure Car rental for years with no issues, good prices, reliable and friendly staff.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 04:15 PM

We have been using Kenny's for our last few trips. No complaints on cars and service, pick up and drop off at the airport. Car rental made simple and easy.
Posted By: Wahnfried

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 04:38 PM

Kenny's seems to be the front runner among the sources I've consulted. Are his prices competitive?
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 04:45 PM

Yes very reasonable.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 08:53 PM

I have used Kenny's, TripleA and Hertz and have had zero issues with all of them
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/17/2023 09:24 PM

I have used empress for years get good rates and friendly service.
Bob
Posted By: wct49

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/18/2023 12:29 AM

Unity or Kenny's have both been easy buttons....
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/18/2023 01:07 AM

We always use Exclusive Car Rental 721 581 2522 pick up and drop off car right at the airport, great friendly service

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/18/2023 05:15 AM

Just look at the total quote including all taxes, fees and what some agencies adding liability charges quote you. Some don't quote it with liability but surprise you with it at pickup. Get the total cost then factor in the recommendations and what you feel comfortable with. That's why we always go with Hertz SXM. No surprises and everything included.
Posted By: dvesc

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/18/2023 12:06 PM

We've rented with a few different companies (Empress, Kenny's and Hertz) and have had good experiences with all of them. When shopping around for our December trip, Hertz didn't seem to have many options available. It was all SUVs, trucks or vans. No actual cars. I assume it's because they are booked up, so making a reservation soon is probably a good idea no matter what company you choose.
Posted By: shieneehead

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/18/2023 04:00 PM

We've used AAA many times in the past but started using Kenny's the the 2-3 visits. Honestly, Lesley makes it so damn convenient and is super responsive. We booked with him for next week as well. I couldn't see using anyone else.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/18/2023 10:43 PM

Amen
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/19/2023 08:57 AM

We all have our "guy". We switched to SAX rental company( six years ago) because the service and the cars !! The service is second to none, friendly smiles and ready to help! The cars are all new with GPS trackers, God forbid it gets stolen!! The rates are right in line with most of the other guys!! We became good friends with the owners, Cindy and Anil Puran! Lovely people to do business with!! We've gone out to dinner with them!! Give them a try! You'll be very happy!! Mention my name! https://www.saxcarrental.com/

Attached picture David louise SAX PJIA 1022.jpg

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/20/2023 09:28 PM

Thanks! What language is the GPS voice in? If French it could be fun. Please PM me the daily rate so I can compare.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/20/2023 09:47 PM

I agree SAX is great!!!

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/20/2023 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
Thanks! What language is the GPS voice in? If French it could be fun. Please PM me the daily rate so I can compare.

I would think you would get the rate from the rental company directly not from someone not involved with the company and have only recommend them that probably gets a special rate.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 01:39 AM

?????

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kennys
?????

What's the confusion or question? Explain.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 02:09 AM

Yes , what you meant ?

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 02:13 AM

Exactly what I meant. Go to the source, the rental company. for your quote. Not second hand from someone that recommended the company.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 04:32 AM

Okay , well said .

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Exactly what I meant. Go to the source, the rental company. for your quote. Not second hand from someone that recommended the company.

Exactly. I've been getting the same rate from AAA for over fifteen years. I'm rewarded for my loyalty to Alain, and for the many referrals I send to him. I would never quote that rate to anyone.
Posted By: caribfan

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 04:04 PM

Michael at unity is great. Been renting from him for over 20 years. This year he helped me with a fender bender to process claim thru my credit card. Also came to change a flat in 20 minutes. I am sure there are good companies listed here but in my experience Unity is the best

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
Originally Posted by SXMScubaman

Exactly. I've been getting the same rate from AAA for over fifteen years. I'm rewarded for my loyalty to Alain, and for the many referrals I send to him. I would never quote that rate to anyone.

Same here with Hertz. Last trip I had a flat at Mullet Beach. One call and they were there in 15 min with new tire and rim. No extra charge and told me to swing by and they would check rest of tires and wash/vacuum car. Again no charge.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 08:51 PM

The going rate seems to be $35. per day. Don’t need a new car just one with good brakes and tires.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 10:23 PM

Depends on when you're going. $35 a day seems low to me.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 10:33 PM

I have never paid more than $25. Per day! The last trip was $25. but the rental agency gave us a hard time about the gas not being topped off when we returned it. We fill it just before and returned it with a full tank. Anyway it has become a hassle now.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/21/2023 11:09 PM

Make sure that rate includes all taxes, fees and liability insurance. Also covers spouse driver.
Posted By: Alltech63

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/22/2023 12:24 AM

I have used Discount car rentals and have had great service and prices include all insurance. Also have car waiting at airport when you arrive
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/22/2023 08:10 AM

It's a device built into the dashboard. It didn't talk, it beeped LOL!!! the one time when it had to be reset! Here's there website for the rates for all the vehicles they rent. https://www.saxcarrental.com/
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/22/2023 11:45 AM

Their $50/day becomes $60 after taxes are added...with zero insurance or additional driver included
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/22/2023 02:11 PM

We always use Hertz. No problems even with a minor damage issue a few years back. They worked with our credit card coverage.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/22/2023 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
I have never paid more than $25. Per day! The last trip was $25. but the rental agency gave us a hard time about the gas not being topped off when we returned it. We fill it just before and returned it with a full tank. Anyway it has become a hassle now.

Your price was lower because of your loyalty to the agency. When you're a new client, you'll pay the going rate. I suggest you resolve the issue with the company you've been using.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 01:05 AM

Thanks and I'm literally tired of people being cheap . But for the food , they know which ones to go too lol. People never change of being who they really are .
Keeps happening , sad .

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 01:53 AM

Sometimes it's not being cheap but being frugal and staying in budget.

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 11:50 AM

Thanks and I'm literally tired of people being cheap . But for the food , they know which ones to go too lol. People never change of being who they really are .
Keeps happening , sad .

Lesley, not everyone has an unlimited budget, and perhaps those who do, choose how to spend their vacation dollars. To say that people who are looking for the best price for something are being cheap, is demeaning.
Posted By: Alltech63

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 12:36 PM

My cost for 9 days is 378.00 (42.00 a day) prices is all-inclusive (taxes insurance etc) I'm happy with that. Plus having used Discount before many times happy with cars and service. I think they are quite a few excellent car rental business in SXM the post on here reflect that. Discount requires a small deposit with CC some don't like to do that since I have used them before I know it is ok (not a ruse or scam) then I pay the rest in cash on arrival. Which works for them since they have my deposit on CC. lets me not have another bill to pay once vacation is over. Bottom line for me is the less I have to pay once I'm back home the better I like it I prefer to front load my budget so I can splurge on dinner once I'm there.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 01:33 PM

Georgia--Absolutely. I'm not talking arguing over literal pennies, but if you can get the same thing for $10 at one place and $20 at another and you choose to pay $20, that's just dumb. With regard to car rental prices, you just have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples, as there are a lot of variables there.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
Keeps happening , sad .

Lesley, not everyone has an unlimited budget, and perhaps those who do, choose how to spend their vacation dollars. To say that people who are looking for the best price for something are being cheap, is demeaning.

I think that is exactly what he is trying to say. (insult)
He had to throw in the food again too---he is a very sad man.....

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Car rental for December trip - 11/23/2023 01:57 PM

Perhaps time to end this one and it has drifted off the topic more than once.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline