TravelTalkOnline

water temp

Posted By: Gailgs

water temp - 02/22/2015 09:56 PM

whats the average water temperature this time of year?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: water temp - 02/22/2015 10:04 PM

It is almost the same all year around - about 80F.

Currently I read 79F on my instrument while in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda.
Posted By: Gailgs

Re: water temp - 02/22/2015 10:07 PM

nice! thanks
Posted By: warren460

Re: water temp - 02/22/2015 10:47 PM

We should be a the low point in the yearly cycle. Up from here.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: water temp - 02/22/2015 11:53 PM

I agree - the water is absolutely freezing right now smile I think that we've currently got the lows and soon we'll have the maximum averages of 84F.

The downside of warm water is that the latent heat energy is transformed into big tropical storms in autumn - in other words, hurricanes. It is hard to believe how much energy is hidden in these warm waters. A major tropical revolving storm uses the energy in less than a degree of water temperature (but sucked out of many square miles area and many feet of water depth).
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 12:48 AM

Also lowest tides I have seen just now which coincides with the highest tides in the 18 1/2 year cycle in the UK.
Posted By: snowflakesRus

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 01:26 AM

It is always so lovely and warm in May! We sure appreciate it since Georgian Bay was freezing this summer...may not be much warmer this year with all the ice.
Posted By: Slug

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 03:06 AM

snowflakesRus, 14 inches of ice on Sturgeon today and was speaking to a friend in Honey Harbour who said lots of ice there as well - so yes, going to be cold water in May, likely well into June.

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 03:29 AM

Slug, there were some great pics on the weathernetwork.com today of the ice coverage. Good thing about it is that it lessens the amount of evaporation, which does wonders for the lake levels. No one went swimming at our cottage near Collingwood til into September, it was just too COLD!

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 03:54 AM

We found water temp around 85 last fall. It was wonderful. Hopefully around 83 by May. But 82 is more likely I think.

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 04:03 AM

That sounds wonderful. We always found it warm enough in May.

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 04:04 AM

Warmer than Georgian bay in August perhaps.

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 04:05 AM

LOL Warren, that is for sure!

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 04:07 AM

Been there. Done that. Even swam up at tobermorry one August. Ouch that was cold.

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 04:08 AM

The water is so deep and in constant motion, it never gets a chance to warm up, unless we have a very hot summer...which we have not had for a few years.
Posted By: casailor53

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 10:10 AM

The water temperature has a yearly cycle here that has a low of 79-80° and a high of 84°. If you live here year-round, that low, coupled with the cooler air temps, seems absolutely frigid. The NOAA buoy a few miles south of St. John currently shows 80.1°. This buoy is also a great way to get an idea of wind speed and direction without the majority of land effects.

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info casailor53. I certainly understand what you mean by the water seeming frigid, it is like here in Ontario in the spring, 50F seems like a wonderfully warm day, yet in the fall, we are frozen...its all relative.
Posted By: Momx3

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 03:17 PM

casailor53 said:
The water temperature has a yearly cycle here that has a low of 79-80° and a high of 84°. If you live here year-round, that low, coupled with the cooler air temps, seems absolutely frigid. The NOAA buoy a few miles south of St. John currently shows 80.1°. This buoy is also a great way to get an idea of wind speed and direction without the majority of land effects.

I am a little worried about that- we live in FL and my kids can get wimpy about the ocean temperature in the winter. We head for our BVI trip in 3 weeks, hoping they don't get cold too quickly! My husband has a wetsuit type shirt for when he paddle boards in the colder water, I'm wondering if I should get one too!

The friends we are going with live in NH, I'm guessing they will think the water is perfect. smile
Posted By: Manpot

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 03:34 PM

A rash vest is all you need down here..available on island for about $35...and can be a nice souvenir..
Posted By: bviboater

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 04:34 PM

also see:
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Trunk-Bayto-Shark-Bay/seatemp
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 05:36 PM

Mom, these shorties work great and are very reasonable and easy to pack.

http://www.divers-supply.com/equator-mens-shorty-3mm.html?___SID=U

Diver's supply also has rash guards
Posted By: Breeze

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 07:56 PM

Never had an issue with water temp in the BVI in either April or November, but we are from New England.... YMMV.

Sometimes the first jump off the boat in an anchorage can be a little brr, but 80 F water temp is not daunting. Closer to shore, shallower water over sand, and anywhere not subject to on-shore current will seem even warmer.

It isn't a bad idea to think of a rash-guard, or even a T-shirt while in the water, for either kids or adults, especially when snorkeling. Back and shoulders can get sunburned pretty quickly, and while in the water you won't notice it. Then, when the sun goes down----- yeah, you know that drill ?

Breeze
Posted By: Manpot

Re: water temp - 02/23/2015 09:45 PM

T shirts get heavy when wet..once you've tried a rash guard you wont put a soggy T shirt back on..used to be that's all we had for surfing but they really are heavy when wet and can make you cold when the wind picks up..rash guard is a great , cheap, inVESTment...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline