TravelTalkOnline

Fresh fish?

Posted By: Flotsam

Fresh fish? - 02/10/2016 07:27 PM

I've got a great chef coming along on this next trip who's looking for a source of fresh-caught fish to prepare. A search of past threads is coming up empty, any suggestions? Does Harbour Market sell good fish? (We're starting in West End, but can stop pretty much anywhere.)

Thanks!
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/10/2016 08:56 PM

go fishing
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/10/2016 08:58 PM

Carrot Bay on Tortola's north shore 3/4 in the afternoon fishermen bring in catches for sale..
Posted By: Pvgreg

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/10/2016 10:30 PM

Last time I was there the BVI Fishing Complex in Baughers Bay, Road Town, open weekdays.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/10/2016 10:33 PM

good moon farms can supply fresh fish and high quality meat on tortola, you can find them with google.

They have interesting mystery boxes of farm produce that your chef might appreciate.
Posted By: Jakehound

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 12:42 AM

#2 for Carrot Bay fishermen. A smile and polite "Good afternoon" will help smooth the way...
Posted By: Knotthead

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 11:52 AM

Harbor Market often has frozen tuna and swordfish steaks that are very good. I know you were asking about fresh but these were beautiful and tasted great when we had them 2 weeks ago.
Posted By: FeelinNauti

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 06:34 PM

Riteway Virgin Gorda near yacht harbor. Sometimes by late afternoon just check with staff they get fresh fish. We just bought some beautiful red snapper. You will have to filet it yourselves but am sure chef can!
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 08:28 PM

Don't forget to look for the fishing boats when you are sailing. it is amazing what we have bartered off the little boats.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 10:00 PM

FeelinNauti said:
Riteway Virgin Gorda near yacht harbor. Sometimes by late afternoon just check with staff they get fresh fish. We just bought some beautiful red snapper. You will have to filet it yourselves but am sure chef can!

That would be Bucks Grocery store at VGYH. They often have fresh local fish.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 11:25 PM

I was in the Fishermen's complex today at 4 pm. They had fresh and frozen conch (3.5 lbs for $20) and frozen wahoo, tuna and mahi mahi. Prices vary according to cut.

In December I bought conch and a young fellow gave me excellent directions for pressure cooking it. Made terrific conch chowder.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Fresh fish? - 02/11/2016 11:40 PM

RatmansWife said:
I was in the Fishermen's complex today at 4 pm. They had fresh and frozen conch (3.5 lbs for $20) and frozen wahoo, tuna and mahi mahi. Prices vary according to cut.

Several days last month when out in our boat, even on the most adverse seas, we saw Soars boats heading back toward Anegada...after likely dropping off catch in Road Harbor . They supply much of the fish BVI. Can likely purchase at Neptunes treasure as well .

In December I bought conch and a young fellow gave me excellent directions for pressure cooking it. Made terrific conch chowder.

L
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline