TravelTalkOnline

Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay

Posted By: Jul55

Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 05:06 AM

Wondering where to sail to for first night on monohull bareboat from Nanny Cay. Did Norman last time. Any suggestions? Heading towards VG later in week.
Posted By: boatjunkie

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 11:34 AM

Cooper
Posted By: salica

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 11:41 AM

Marina Cay might be better. It always depends on the weather conditions.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 03:34 PM

Cooper and monos is not always a good idea if there is any swell.

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 09:13 PM

Isn't marina cay kinda far for first night? Day four we are going to Leverick for two nights. Want to go to Marina Cay at some point, sounds amazing!

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 09:20 PM

not really that far, maybe 2-3 hour sail
Posted By: salica

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 10:16 PM

Maybe 20 minutes further than Cooper. Unless perfect weather/wind combinations, I know where I would prefer to be for a first night. Stop stressing, relax and get on island time. A rough itinerary is truly all you need . You are either going clockwise or anti-clockwise around the island chain. There are safe, sheltered mooring fields to be had in most places which your charter company will tell you at your briefing. Do not expect to do too much, because if you get any feelings for the islands you will be back and can visit anywhere you missed on future visits.
It stresses me out to be sitting at home and reading how stressed people get about planning. (And I am a planner). After 16+ visits, minimum of two weeks plus per trip, we now plan on a day to day basis, until two nights before needing to return boat, is fine.All the distances between islands are doable in 5-6 hours. Be flexible, listen to the weather conditions, be sensible and enjoy what comes your way - then you will return another time and can have other experiences, visiting new places and finding new.

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 10:30 PM

Excellent advice! I'm taking it!!
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 10:45 PM

Marina Cay or Trellis are not your nearest Bail out from Cooper, unless you absolutely need a mooring ball.

If you absolutely cannot, cannot, will not, begin to comprehend anchoring, and have no inclination to even try, you are stuck with what you may or may not get.

Benures Bay is the nearest Plan B from Cooper. Yes, you must anchor. Everyone has to learn how some time.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/26/2016 11:37 PM

Trellis is maybe 30 min. at the most from Cooper. There are plenty of mooring balls, but it's an easy anchorage if you need to.

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/27/2016 12:28 AM

Salica, that's how we roll.
Posted By: IowaSailor

Re: Where to sail for first night out of Nanny Cay - 03/28/2016 03:01 PM

Marina Cay. Far enough to get the crew used to the boat and pop in for the night and relax. Good jumping off point for the Baths the next morning, too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline