TravelTalkOnline

Ivan's yost van dyke

Posted By: Boatwidow

Ivan's yost van dyke - 06/26/2016 10:19 PM

Has anyone ever stayed at Ivan's campground? If so what did u think of it and are there tranche las on the island?
Posted By: Sugaree

Re: Ivan's yost van dyke - 06/27/2016 01:53 PM

Are you asking if there are tarantulas?? I've never seen one on Jost, thankfully, but I'm sure it's a possibility.

We have stayed at Ivans in one of their camper cabins. It is basic, clean and affordable. They have recently remodeled them - fresh paint and windows screens.
Posted By: LianeLeTendre

Re: Ivan's yost van dyke - 06/28/2016 02:41 PM

Yes, there are Tarantulas on Jost Van Dyke ... and pretty much every island in the Caribbean.

I love to garden and am often disturbing the poor things as they like to burrow holes in the garden. The Tarantulas we have in the BVI are non-aggressive (quite docile really) and won't bother you if you don't bother them, much like the greatly maligned and unfairly treated tree boa. Both are good creatures to have around. The Tarantulas eat lots of bugs!

I used to have loads of tree boas at my place but for some reason, they have all but disappeared in the last two or three years. Occasionally, one will wander into the house and I just guide it right back out with a broom. They usually co-operate.

When I dig in my garden, I am usually using a small trowel rather than a big shovel. More than once I have come up with a scoop of dirt together with a rather frightened Tarantula. I just lay it down a little further away from where I am working and they scamper away.

What you should watch for are scorpions. They can be aggressive when caught by surprise. Just shake out your clothes and check your shoes before putting them on. Keep a can of bug spray handy, but don't kill the Tarantulas please. As I said, they won't bother you if you don't bother them.
Posted By: Boatwidow

Re: Ivan's yost van dyke - 06/29/2016 12:36 AM

Thank you! I would never kill them;) I was just wondering:)
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline