TravelTalkOnline

Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town

Posted By: UncleLuff

Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/04/2017 07:02 PM

Well it is officially less than T-6 months and counting to our 2nd BVI bareboat cruise. Before I get advice from this wonderful community on itinerary, We need to get there first!

And my God is it ever a pain in the A$$ to get to STT these days! Doesn't seem to be any direct flights to STT out of Newark any more. Flying always more difficult for us Canadians but this is getting ridiculous!

Anyway given our flight delay and stress of getting to the last ferry to Road Town last trip (thank you Kevin) we are thinking of looking into a water taxi to allow more flexibility.

So far quotes are around $100-115 per person for 12 people! I was hoping to get a better deal given that we are a bigger group. Moreover, this doesn't include the $40 international processing fee!

Does anyone know if they still charge this fee if all individuals are now required to make themselves present at C&I and not just the captain? Does anyone know if I can get a better rate given the size of the group? Any recommendations (have seen Dolphin and Foxy's so far.)

Thx!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/04/2017 07:54 PM

Did you investigate SXM and then Winair to EIS?
Posted By: Kryssa

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/04/2017 11:29 PM

We last took a 9:00ish flight from EWR-STT, no sweat making the 4:00 direct to RT.

We also looked into a water taxi for our group of 7, but its just too expensive - don't forgot they leave from Red Hook so that's a more expensive taxi ride too and they charge you extra to take you all the way to RT rather than leaving you at WE.
Posted By: scott1269

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/04/2017 11:35 PM

How about YOW to Boston then STT on jetblue? I have gotten a quote from Dolphin. Would really like to do that.
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/04/2017 11:46 PM

RatmansWife said:
Did you investigate SXM and then Winair to EIS?

Nope! just looked at it now. Would have to get a charter as we are 12 and it did not look like we could get more than 9 tickets on the commercial flight options. thanks for the tip. I will continue to look into it.

Tried getting quotes for a charter from San Juan and it was US $3600. Traveling like a baller is great when you are with other couples to share the cost but when you have to pay for your wife 3 kids and Mom it gets pricey pretty quick!
Posted By: njchilds

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/14/2017 10:01 PM

You should also try JFK as I know they have a direct flight to STT that gets in around 1:30. I just booked for 11 people yesterday for July. It is a lot cheaper than EWR which is my closest airport but price wins over convenience.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/15/2017 03:28 PM

Last trip to BVI thru STT, EWR was much cheaper than JFK. Seems like about $280/rt on Delta. I always check for 1 way trips to find the cheapest flights. I just checked for flights in Feb. Both AA and delta were selling for $140 one way.
Posted By: MarkS

Re: Water taxi/Ferry Question from St. T to Road Town - 01/15/2017 03:36 PM

njchilds said:
You should also try JFK as I know they have a direct flight to STT that gets in around 1:30. I just booked for 11 people yesterday for July. It is a lot cheaper than EWR which is my closest airport but price wins over convenience.

In the 12 years that I have been bareboat chartering in the BVI JFK has always been cheaper than EWR. JFK is very inconvenient for me compared to EWR but I always do it for the price.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline