TravelTalkOnline

BVI Drone Flying

Posted By: mriley4955

BVI Drone Flying - 12/20/2019 06:16 PM

Hi Everyone! And Happy Holidays!

I'm an FAA part 107 Commercial Drone pilot and am wondering if anyone here has any info on the BVI rules for flying drones while on vacation. It would be a part 101 type operation if I was in the States but I'm wondering if the BVI's have anything like it?
Or are they going by the European rules?

Thanks,
Matt
Posted By: Breeze

Re: BVI Drone Flying - 12/20/2019 10:34 PM

http://www.bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/drone-users-are-subject-aviation-rules

When I googled this topic, there were other citations and links available, specific to the BVI. This one was non-commercial.

Re: BVI Drone Flying - 12/22/2019 03:08 PM

Great link and thanks! In November the CAA implemented new regulations for both recreational and commercial operators. It looks like the regulations in Air Navigational Overseas Territories Order 2013 (ANOTO) Article 73 recognize the registration of member states (bi-lateral agreements).

So I'm going to bring my drone and my certificates and shoot commercially unless anyone else has any more info on this. Of course much of it will be for my personal use, but if there is any awesome footage it will find its way onto my commercial website.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

Re: BVI Drone Flying - 12/22/2019 03:27 PM

For anyone who may be looking at this topic, here is a great link to the commercial permissions required for flying in the British Overseas Territories.
https://www.airsafety.aero/Aircraft/Small-Unmanned-Aircraft-(SUA).aspx
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: BVI Drone Flying - 12/23/2019 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by mriley4955
Great link and thanks! In November the CAA implemented new regulations for both recreational and commercial operators. It looks like the regulations in Air Navigational Overseas Territories Order 2013 (ANOTO) Article 73 recognize the registration of member states (bi-lateral agreements).

So I'm going to bring my drone and my certificates and shoot commercially unless anyone else has any more info on this. Of course much of it will be for my personal use, but if there is any awesome footage it will find its way onto my commercial website.

Thanks all and Merry Christmas!
Don't tell Customs and Immigration you are planning to shoot commercially! You are opening a whole can of worms there as you'll be deemed to be working, need work permits and a business licence. You'll probably spend your whole vacation sitting in C&I and you might get your equipment back some time around 2021.
Posted By: RickG

Re: BVI Drone Flying - 12/23/2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeannius
Don't tell Customs and Immigration you are planning to shoot commercially! You are opening a whole can of worms there as you'll be deemed to be working, need work permits and a business licence. You'll probably spend your whole vacation sitting in C&I and you might get your equipment back some time around 2021.

Yep. My lady once said in C&I "That's on your work computer." I got a hard look and "Are you working, where is your work computer?" I quickly said no and my work computer was in my office in Virginia. Of course I carry my work phone and my work computer everywhere and I run the company from the boat; no BVI work.

Cheers, RickG
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline