TravelTalkOnline

Covid 19 infections in BVI

Posted By: Will_L

Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 11:19 AM

Well what I both feared and thought would be happening seems to be. The bvi by isolating itself like possible in other island nations, Australia for example, kept cases very low in comparison with countries where it was much harder to isolate. Unfortunately some of these countries including the bvi and Australia believed their success in isolating their countries mitigated the need for vaccination.

I saw a couple days ago there were 41 cases in the territory and yesterday that had risen to 91. Now I’m sure some of these were positives on people who had recovered or been exposed after vaccination and were not spreading the disease. Most of these were picked up on travel related tests. 15 of the cases seemed to be community spread. Most of cases are on Tortola.

https://bviplatinum.com/

I’ve watched the local media a good while and can see that their is a good deal of vaccination hesitancy. Only a third of the population has had one shot and a very high number of those are ex-pats. There has been and is plenty of vaccine available though I believe the expiration date is looming on many of the doses.

We came down the middle of June and were on a boat for a little more than a week and have been on virgin Gorda since. It does seem that they are trying to use mitigation techniques. There are mask mandates enforced in most businesses and there is hand sanitizer everywhere. Indeed it is much like it was in the states last winter. Masks were worn, but there as here they are primarily ill fitting surgery masks with more than half not covering noses. There is tremendous emphasis on hand sanitation. It reminds me of the very early days at home when there was intense emphasis on getting the virus from surfaces. Lysol and hand sanitizer were as rare as precious stones. Unfortunately it turned out that it was primarily airborne. So I think the effort is there but almost guaranteed not to do much at all in the face of significant virus around.

I hope that more decide to get the vaccine based on the increased numbers. I don’t know what the government will do if these numbers take off.

I’m a little concerned about exit testing timing. We had some friends with us the first couple weeks and it took them about 3 hrs at the Virgin Gorda clinic. I will attempt to get our information filled out and sent ahead as the very good advice here recommended, but I do worry that they will get very busy with their contract tracing and increase in numbers of tests to do in the lab.

Posted By: bailau

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 11:33 AM

We just got back from 2 weeks on a powercat and went to most ports...the other side of the same coin is the visitors we saw had no masks in close quarters. We saw plenty of hugging the locals we all know and close quarter conversations. I saw a social media post with a charter employee sitting as close as he could to one of the entry queens without masks. At every place (Leverick, Scrub, CGB, SDB, Anegada etc) we indicated the 8 of us were vaccinated fully and the reply was always "we are too".

Getting there was a complete PIA...and they are so grateful to have us back. I can see without a Day 0 test (even a rapid test) they numbers will tick up

So while I hope more get vaccinated we need to do our part as well...

IMHO
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 12:09 PM

At this [point in time it is well known that the simple masks people are wearing are worse than no mask, in that the masks are fulls of bacteria as most folks just wear the same mask every day. I find it sad that 1) the USA seems to have funded covid development 2) The masks that were sold were useless as the covid virus goes right through it. The only thing it helps (maybe) is if a covid person sneezes , then the droplets will be contained in the mask.
Basically covid is spread most at indoor events. Almost impossible to spread outdoors. Covid will be around for a while until folks get vaccinated or folks get covid and will also be immune to another attack. Good thing is most folks that get covid seem to have a very mild case, lasts a couple of days of misery and then gone.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 12:34 PM

I think the CDC was trying to make the best possible recommendations as covid spread but there was so little information available. Surface transmission is a good example as it’s now known it’s simply not a transmission factor yet we keep spraying the heck out of everything. Masks need to be discarded and a new mask used daily. If not you face other health consequences yet most people stuff a mask in their pocket or purse and use it for weeks.
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 01:03 PM

>> … or been exposed after vaccination and were not spreading the disease. <<
Is that a thing?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 01:31 PM

Actually, most of the cases are local cases now; 68 out of 91 and the other cases are just listed as travel so it doesn't necessarily indicate they are visitors. Lots of residents traveling these days.

The mask thing is very disheartening. Probably 90% or visitors not wearing masks as I see them enter restaurants and bars. It's great that everyone made the extra travel and protocol effort to get here and I understand wanting to relax on vacation but remember there are more people who would like to visit. The more the protocols are ignored, the more likely it is for the government to tighten the protocols back down. Please, please, please follow the rules when visiting.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 06:37 PM

WOW, 91 cases?????? Incredible increase from 49 only a few days ago. Time for more vaccinations?

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Maria_and_Steve
WOW, 91 cases?????? Incredible increase from 49 only a few days ago. Time for more vaccinations?

Yes, but tomorrow is the last day for vaccines here. That number is going to go higher!! They are still actively contact tracing and testing.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 06:56 PM

Yes indeed that is a thing CR. The pcr test is ultra sensitive for the presence of Covid 19 virus in any state or concentration. That’s a blessing and a curse these days. Vaccinated people can and do test positive for Covid on pcr testing with no symptoms and unable to transmit the virus. For that reason on our initial arrival I had a little concern for our friend with two teenagers, both vaccinated and had covid last fall. . I had the same slight concern on their departure. They all had positive antibody tests but the bvi bases their testing on the most sensitive test. It picks up viral particles long after they are inactive.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/06...ated-have-no-symptoms-and-test-positive/

So my point in the original post was not at all to denigrate their mitigation attempts with masking and hand sanitation. And I certainly did not nor do I condone not going along with their protocols. Indeed they have done much more in the latter area than I ever saw in the us. Clear signs and automatic hand sanitizer in nearly every business along with a hand washing station at Leverick shows a lot of effort. They have mask mandates inside and at most grocery stores they enforce it. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Our vaccinated crew was very careful to observe all such restrictions, as my spouse and I are now. We will continue to do so before we leave . We have given away two boxes of surgical masks an one of K99 so far and will leave.more with long time friends here before leaving.

My whole point was much of the island’s efforts without high vaccination % has been proven to be ineffective in the states. I am hoping it’s different here. Like someone above said many of the close contact persons have said they have been vaccinated. The problem I worry about are the numbers. If only 1 in 3 folks are vaccinated with a single dose and a huge % of expats make up that number, I worry. A good friend on island had mentioned that many C&I officers did not take the vaccine. Like someone said when assuring islon folks they were fully vaccinated and they responded that they were ..I worry.

I worry that many elderly and compromised island residents are at risk because of vaccine misinformation. If they indeed are fully vaccinated which I doubt then cases are not real important. In the states pockets where vaccination lags have shown an escalation in cases..but mostly among young people with not the higher incidence of hospitalization, icu and deaths following.

If the older and less healthy population is unvaccinated my point was this will not go well and because of experience hand sanitizer and poorly fitted, ineffective masks won’t change the progression.

I’m sorry if I gave the impression I thought observing the protocols in place was not absolutely the way every visitor should act. My point was I’ve seen the ineffectiveness of this strategy first hand . Hand washing/sanitizing and poor mask design and wearing with , noses exposed everywhere..improperly for days as has been The case in many areas of the states that thought they were immune to the virus..as well as many countries now getting hit.

The truth remains vaccination of the most vulnerable is essential. Vaccination of a large % of population is needed to keep the virus from hanging around and catching those elderly and compromised. I realize vaccines are controversial here and back home. They should not be.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 07:22 PM

I didn't get that impression and was simply adding to your great post. As the late great UCLA coach John Wooden said "control the controllables". I cant control if the locals get vaccinated but I can control how close I stand next to someone and whether I wear a mask in close quarters and whether I sanitize et.al....

Just humbly suggesting we all do our part as best we can...outside of vaccination I thought their mitigation efforts were great. I even got a contact tracing text from Leverick 6 days into the trip...
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 08:41 PM

Aah, understand Will, thanks!
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 10:40 PM

150 cases now
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/02/2021 11:55 PM

And another death.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/04/2021 05:52 PM

155 now
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/04/2021 06:24 PM

I'm debating clearing out for St. Martin tomorrow; before the BVI gets put on a travel blacklist.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/04/2021 06:55 PM

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/04/2021 09:37 PM

That is not good...sorry to hear my friend
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/04/2021 09:46 PM

Jason--Yikes...

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/04/2021 11:00 PM

When it hits a vulnerable community exponential is a good way to describe the spread. It is so sad that it coincided with last chance to get first Covid vax.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/05/2021 12:52 AM

and coincided with the islands opening up and lack of a Day 0 test for vaccinated...

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/05/2021 03:21 AM

Haven’t seen any scientific contact tracing results yet but rumor mill says the new surge is local spread primarily from the clubs. And maybe some entertainers from STT may not have been subject to the normal protocols. Same story as the last outbreak that cost us all 3 weeks in our house 24/7.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/05/2021 01:53 PM

With the number of cases I doubt this can be contained. Better to let it take its course. Seems like the cases are all mild. What is with these clubs? Are these basically whore houses?
I would never go to a place like this and do not understand what causes folks to go to these places.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/05/2021 02:57 PM

It seems a home for the elderly is one of the main sources of the outbreak..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/05/2021 06:22 PM

Mal--sorry, the elderly should be vaccinated. Worrisome. Regardless, I doubt very seriously that vaccinated visitors are the source of much infection..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/05/2021 06:57 PM

Indeed Carol. Unfortunately what we learned in the states is that until vaccinations were available that the virus was pretty much on its own. Mitigation efforts were marginally successful or futile. The contact tracing was soon overwhelmed..as it is here I suspect. It works when you have a handful of cases on an island that is locked down to outside world.

In the US other than vaccination nothing really seemed to change course of the infection. Some states locked down hard, some had mask mandates etc. What was common to almost all was that the virus would get there sooner or later ..there would be an exponential spike in cases..followed in 3 weeks or so with hospitalizations and unfortunately 3 to 4 weeks later with deaths. Our area was pretty free of it till last fall..then it hit with a vengeance. Hospitals were filled and floors devoted to Covid patients., And equally true after a couple months of an upward spike, the cases head down with a steep slope on the other side with hospitalization and deaths lagging. Ill fitting masks, noses exposed and worn on chin and same mask for days and all the hand washing and surface spraying did not seem to change the course once the virus got a foothold. It’s beyond ability to contract trace and quarantine once it is established in your area. Hopefully the folks that are fully here in bvi vaccinated are the most vulnerable. Otherwise I fear it’s going to be a tragic situation for a couple months.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 12:55 AM

I respectfully disagree that mitigation efforts are or were marginally successful or futile. Someday when this over we may figure that out but as you know flu cases were down 98% in the US. The only reason I have found for the drastic decrease in flu deaths is the "mitigation effects" for Covid especially distancing. I recognize Covid is more contagious but 98% down is a big number. IMHO mitigation slowed down the progress of spread (1) keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed and (2) buying time until a vaccine could be found

You will note in the latest briefing 17% of the current BVI positive cases are fully vaccinated and another 13% partially vaccinated....

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/sta...r-update-covid-19-outbreak-july-4th-2021

I think it is easy to say if they all get vaccinated that will solve this but I would reiterate IMHO it also takes us practicing good distancing habits down there....

I agree vaccination is truly a game changer and an incredible scientific feat to come up with a vaccine that quickly.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 01:40 AM

I wonder, what is the vaccine they are using in the BVI? It is stunning that 30% of the cases are either half or fully vaccinated. Something very wrong with that stat..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 01:48 AM

AstraZeneca...not sure but dont think all cases are locals.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 02:09 AM

Malone is going live on Facebook any minute......

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 02:43 AM

480 cases now. Curfew beginning tomorrow. Rapid test on entry for vaccinated travelers beginning July 12. Much more info as well - hope to see a written statement soon.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 11:56 AM

Astrazeneca. But, as I understand it the last day for vaccinations was July1 and the left overs were returned to the UK. I also understand there is to be a new shipment later this summer....that may be just a rumor. Hoping someone else on TTOL has good info on this.
Cheers from North Sound.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 12:49 PM

The supplied doses expire at the end of July, and July 3rd was given as the last day where people could get their 1st vaccination and have time to get the 2nd dose before they expire.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 01:48 PM

They are now encouraging people to still get their 1st shot as it provides more protection than nothing at all. A request has been made for additional does but no official date yet.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 01:58 PM

When I got my first Pfizer shot back in Feb in Sonoma, Ca. the doc told me that it was extremely effective with one dose after a few days and that the second dose is more of a "booster" and makes it last longer. He said they obviously did not broadcast it so people got both shots. That is why even one shot is very important..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 02:42 PM

Again, does anyone other than me find it strange that 30% of the cases are supposedly at least partially vaccinated?? That doesn't make sense to me..
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 03:06 PM

Carol ~ I am completely with you on this! Seems odd that we are not hearing more of this in the states. I do not trust that % they are giving. The only way I see it is the had Covid when they got the shot????
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 03:11 PM

Carol, it only makes sense if the vaccine was not stored properly, or not kept at recommended storage temperatures. My own PCP practice had to delay offering the vaccine until they were able to acquire a proper sub-zero freezer unit ( yes you could describe this as rural Maine ).

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 03:55 PM

I wonder if they are relying on people to self-report whether they had their shots or not?? And people are lying? To me, that is the only explanation, other than if the vaccine was not stored properly, which I had not thought of that.
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 04:56 PM

I believe even after vaccination a person can test positive. The vaccine lessens the severity of symptoms and chance of hospitalization and death.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnykm
I believe even after vaccination a person can test positive. The vaccine lessens the severity of symptoms and chance of hospitalization and death.

This is a correct statement. So it makes me wonder if we should be counting hospitalizations/deaths only. Not saying the positives increase is not a bad thing. But I see that number continuing long after most or all are vaccinated.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 05:42 PM

The AZ vaccine doesn't require sub-zero storage, just refrigeration at 36 to 46 degrees F. I think the low vaccination rate is due to vaccine "hesitancy," as it is in the ~1,000 US counties with vax rates of less than 30%. Those parts of the US are seeing similar rates of new cases. Ignorance and misinformation can have dire consequences.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 05:45 PM

Sunny--Certainly, even a vaccinated person can test positive. But a percentage of 30% of these cases vaccinated??????? Makes zero sense.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 05:57 PM

Baileau,

I think you perhaps again took my post to think that it possibly was a reason for visitors to not follow masking, distancing and sanitation protocols as directed. In a month here I actually see tourists following the orders as well as locals, usually better. In the groceries I have been in the tourists are masked up, mostly properly and usually together in their family or group. Workers all have masks, but many are worn as chin warmers or skip wearing over their noses. Young guys coming in together to get snacks and drinks have masks kind of on, stay together talking into each other’s faces without any distance or concern except to have a mask somewhere near their face.

Other times I see people walking on the street in the hot sun, nobody even within yards and they are wearing a mask properly.

My point was and is being borne out by the numbers, this has little to do with tourists now and contact tracing and 11 pm to 5am curfews will be if not totally ineffective, nearly so.

I saw way too much of this back home. Yes if you can be super careful and stay home except for a necessary trip for groceries you were fairly safe.

State after state developed severe outbreaks at very different times. When you thought your area was getting away Scott free, the grim virus showed up and when it did in moderate number of cases it soon grew exponentially. Some states locked down a long time, some kept mask mandates throughout and others never had them .

If you look at the tables per million in cases in each state you see so much consistency around 100,000 cases. In deaths you see same with a little more variation at about 2000 deaths per million.

There was great variation when the virus struck and opinions on how the different states responded, When it did however it did so with a vengeance and a quick spike up. Several weeks it was like the plague in the community. And then plateau and a quick slide down in cases while hospitalizations and deaths followed the decline a bit later.

So a guess would be based on above about 2000 positive tested cases here over a course of a few weeks.

There is not a reason in the world not to use all the mitigation they can. I do believe many like back in the states until it exploded in their locality think these measures are sufficient. That is unlikely IMO and rate of progression bears that out.

Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Again, does anyone other than me find it strange that 30% of the cases are supposedly at least partially vaccinated?? That doesn't make sense to me..
Most studies here in the UK seem to indicate around 70% effectiveness against symptomatic disease for one dose of Astra Zeneca and maybe 80% for Pfizer. So seems about right that 30% of infections are partially vaccinated. Especially since people in the BVI were mostly pretty late getting their first dose and are now exposed to more infectious variants.
Posted By: Charlie2001

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 06:27 PM

Per their Facebook page, Quito's is closed due to their unvaccinated General Manager contracting COVID.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie2001
Per their Facebook page, Quito's is closed due to their unvaccinated General Manager contracting COVID.

It does not actually say that. They are closed today only. The COVID posting was only to warn people that they should get tested if they were in contact with Albert and to encourage people to get vaccinated.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 06:48 PM

Sunny--Certainly, even a vaccinated person can test positive. But a percentage of 30% of these cases vaccinated??????? Makes zero sense.

It does seem high. I read recently that the Chinese vaccines had about a 50% efficacy rate in preventing disease..they published no studies and data was from what happened in areas it was used. The good news it still greatly decreased hospitalization and death.

The rna vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna had much great higher protection rates but the work was done prior to some new variants. Though they say it is protective against those variants it’s not clear that it is absolutely effective in preventing infection.

AsteaZeneca vaccine is closer to the Chinese vaccines in its development but was throughly tested. I forgot the trials but I think it was in the 70-80% area on the first iteration of Covid. My guess would be it is a good vaccine that is between the Chinese and mRNA vaccines in efficacy. So though there might be more breaks in protection it quite likely will prevent most severe cases and death.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 07:18 PM

WillL-

Thanks for your clarification on mitigation...

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/06/2021 09:52 PM

Mike--I think that is very low for Pfizer, as studies in the US put it's efficacy at 95%, approximately. Don't really know anything about Astra Zeneca..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/07/2021 04:07 AM

558 active now

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/07/2021 10:30 AM

That means that almost 2% of the BVI population is currently known to be infected. I've been trying to reach the people responsible for outbound clearances with no luck so far; I'm worried that the outbreak will continue unabated and that the BVI will be put on a travel blacklist.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/07/2021 11:15 AM

Zanshin, not an unreasonable concern. My understanding was they could only process 500 tests/day. Between the testing constraints and 60 infected BVIHSA staff, things must be very tough.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/07/2021 11:41 PM

659 today

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 12:00 AM

Oh my....... Jason do you think additional protocols, or a lockdown, is coming?

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 12:59 AM

Tonight at Indigo House they said that restaurant closures might be imposed soon.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 03:54 AM

They already have restaurants restricted to 25 people including staff so I don’t think closures will help much. It’s the mass indoor events that seem to have been the spreaders. They are mostly shut down now but it will take a while to see the impact. That said, I did put about 3 weeks of food in my freezer last week since logic is not always the driving force here.

8 people hospitalized is actually a worse measurement than the active case count. To date, we haven’t had any before with the exception of the 1 death but that patient presented too late for the hospital to help.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 10:49 AM

I'm going to stock up on important stuff today (beer, wine) - I've got enough food aboard for a while and still have my iron reserves (military rations in the form of MREs). I'm more worried about the borders shutting down as I want to travel west and south next week.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 11:52 AM

I am planning to travel back to Sonoma via St Thomas on July 21 and hope this does not impact that.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 01:17 PM

Zanshin--are you still trying to get out?

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 05:23 PM

821 now

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 05:28 PM

Wow. wow. wow. I'm thinking there were a lot of people who were sick before and didn't bother to get tested..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 05:37 PM

Yes, waiting on e-mail permission from the ministry of immigration... I'm not particularly optimistic about my chances of a response before I overstay my entry permit!

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 05:41 PM

The following article contains the factual information about the course of the current outbreak, but the really frightening part are the user comments...

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/-659-active-covid-cases-recorded-in-vi-8-hospitalised

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
The following article contains the factual information about the course of the current outbreak, but the really frightening part are the user comments...

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/-659-active-covid-cases-recorded-in-vi-8-hospitalised

The comments are always the best part here.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 06:49 PM

Comments are freaking scary.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 06:49 PM

Zanshin--best of luck.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

The comments are always the best part here.

Ain't that the truth! I'm wishing I'd started a bush tea business. That or aloe juice. Sell it as a sure-fire way to protect the family jewels - or whatever other harm the vaccine is reputed to do.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/08/2021 10:06 PM

Now at 821 confirmed cases - http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/821-active-cases-of-covid-19-now-recorded-in-vi

I'm pretty happy to be aboard a boat and somewhat distanced from the general population. Except if Mal gets sick, then I'm SOL!

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 07:54 PM

Another death and I’d guess when next announced close to a thousand cases. This is what has been seen in the states when it hits. I suspect when they do the testing it will be the delta variant that is latest and most virulent. The alpha variant was much more transmissible than the original wuhan strain and this one is supposed to be twice as infective as the alpha strain.

One article said, the average wuhan strain case infected two people. The delta they believe infects 7 to 8 with each case as the epidemic takes hold in a community. Oddly enough the delta strain is hitting hard in the missouri Ozarks where we have a place on lake taneycomo., near Branson. They like here have only about thirty percent vaccinated and are exploding with cases.

Many of their hospitalized cases are much younger than the original surges in the states. Hopefully that is because the older people were bright enough to get vaccinated. I hope that is the case here because it is going to pretty much go where it wants over the next several weeks. Hospitalization and sadly deaths will be increasing over next several days.

https://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=32809

We are on VG and scheduled to fly out Wednesday. I’m a little concerned that testing will be overrun . I happened to drive by the clinic here today and though they say the testing is from 10 am to noon, there was a long line at 130 still getting tested.

I’m not in the business of giving advice, but personally if I could postpone a trip I would likely do so. They are going to have their hands full medically into hurricane season. The good news if there is any with this debacle is that regardless of vaccination status these spikes go up rapidly, plateau, and then drop very quickly in every community. I would think it will be all over by October.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Will_L
Many of their hospitalized cases are much younger than the original surges in the states. Hopefully that is because the older people were bright enough to get vaccinated. I hope that is the case here because it is going to pretty much go where it wants over the next several weeks. Hospitalization and sadly deaths will be increasing over next several days.

They are also reporting here that the cases are largely in the younger population.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 08:23 PM

That’s good to hear Jason. Perhaps many of the older group got the shots.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 08:26 PM

That’s good to hear Jason. Perhaps many of the older group got the shots.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. The person that passed this morning was 72 and most of the older people I've spoken to are not taking the vaccine.

I think the medical team was just reporting that this surge (that we assume is Delta) is impacting more young people than Alpha did.

Time will tell. Today's statistics should be interesting. The 821 number only included testing thru 6 July!
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 08:37 PM

Sadly we likely know what were going to see based on the past year. Changes weren't made until just today right? Or the last couple days. So for the next week at least there will be a continued increase in cases most likely. The big question is how will this impact entry/exit. It's all sad because unless they ran out of vaccines (which doesn't seem to be the case) this could have been completely avoided.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 08:47 PM

From the contract tracing it would appear the spots are all places (clubs) where young people hang out in close quarters so not surprising it is young people this round. Of note was the Willy T on 2 dates. We were in the Bight that last date and the Willy T was packed with people coming over on fast boats from Tortola. I have never seen it so crowded with boats

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 09:21 PM

We were at the Willy T for a drink on 6/29 before dinner at the Bight. Not an “exposure” day but..... Mostly people from moored boats that day - just one go fast - but I am now regretting it. It was a subpar experience and doubt we would ever go back. To the Bight as well - worst dinner in our 2 weeks in BVI.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/09/2021 09:25 PM

Unfortunately though in addition to the clubs they named an elder care facility, a healthcare facility and employees of a grocery store last week. Once it has a foothold like this 50 to 1000 cases (if 800 some are test positive there are many more infected) in a week or so, it’s going everywhere. Any member of a household will nearly certainly infect all unvaccinated members.

Every unvaccinated person has to be careful every moment. The virus just has to be lucky once.

I was dismayed to hear Jason’s information that the elderly did not in large numbers take the vaccine. This won’t go well for them. Bout two to three weeks the hospital and the tents they have set up I would bet will be full. It’s so sad when this takes off. I hope I am wrong.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 12:00 AM

Unfortunately though in addition to the clubs they named an elder care facility, a healthcare facility and employees of a grocery store last week. Once it has a foothold like this 50 to 1000 cases (if 800 some are test positive there are many more infected) in a week or so, it’s going everywhere. Any member of a household will nearly certainly infect all unvaccinated members.

Every unvaccinated person has to be careful every moment. The virus just has to be lucky once.

I was dismayed to hear Jason’s information that the elderly did not in large numbers take the vaccine. This won’t go well for them. Bout two to three weeks the hospital and the tents they have set up I would bet will be full. It’s so sad when this takes off. I hope I am wrong.

Just so you know. By no means is my observation based on real statistics. It's just the people I have talked to aren't willing to consider. I've had many conversation with people in the 40-50 age range that seemed interested in listening and ultimately got vaccinated. The group below and above that age range seemed unwilling to discuss. It's frustrating because now my life and income is impacted. During the original rounds of the pandemic I understood and was willing to suffer through it with everyone else but now it's just crazy. We now have a solution but people just can't be made to understand. Sadly now, everyone has staked their position and it's a matter of pride or stubbornness and unwilling to reconsider. Going to be an interesting ride.

Stopped by CGB this afternoon for a sunset walk and many of the visitors are still unmasked walking into restaurants. Universal response is "don't worry, I'm vaccinated".

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 12:57 AM

Premier scheduled to make a statement at 8:30.....still waiting.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 01:14 AM

Sitting here on the balcony of CRC..9 on a Saturday..not a noise but the sound of breaking surf. Normally that would be a wonderful thing. Twinkling stars and an occasional birdsong. Now to me it means one thing ..the sound of calamity meeting stupidity. The BVIslanders who have refused to get the shot have wrecked the dream for themselves and many others.I feel for all who are suffering..but nothing for those who have put us all in this mess. Folks like Jason who have worked so hard to welcome folks and promote the BVI's do not deserve this. Shame on you who refuse the help that is being given and is so in demand by others. Shame on you..

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 01:19 AM

That’s really sad Jason. It’s the same back home. Once someone stakes out a position they are adamant. The difference is with all the severe illness and death many older people had seen the devastation before the vaccine became available and in most areas there was good compliance with older people.

Here I think it was similar to our area that didn’t have much trouble during the spring, summer and early fall. Though there was no vaccine, there was a false sense of security in that nothing bad had happened and many thought it would not. Then it hit and hit hard. Everyone knew someone in hospital or dead from it.

I’m sorry to hear that anyone regardless of their vaccine status is not complying with the rules. It has to be very frustrating and our friends with businesses along with you here have been through so much.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 03:58 AM

I've been sad many times for BVIslanders, usually because there was a weather event that turned lives and businesses upside down. the BVI has always come back better than before. THIS pandemic, originally fought with a lot of grit and a ton of sacrifice, is for me the saddest of all. How could Islanders just turn aside and allow a year of islandwide community sacrifice to be erased ?

Lots of things I'd like to say, but none of them fit to be said here.
Posted By: camelot

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 02:52 PM

While it is very disrespectful for us non-belongers to not wear masks even with vaccination and negative testing, that has not caused this upsurge,

This is a pandemic for a reason -- even if the community had been completely isolated from the outside world without vaccination rate of at least 50% eventually it would/has reached it's shores and spread like wildfire until the combination of vaccinated and survivors reaches 70%.

Shutting down tourism from vaccinated or immune visitors will not impact the spread but will add to the economic woe. The very small reported number of people with vaccination but subsequent infection are mostly in immunosuppressed people and/or false positives -- the Delta variant is not immune from the vaccine but spreads more readily. As long as visitors are required to have evac insurance to get off island so they do not add to the overburdened health care system the net positive to the community of having respecting visitors with generous tipping and purchasing from locals cannot be underestimated.

I spoke with everyone we had contact with in the past 10 days -- Only ONE has been vaccinated -- a cab driver who was among the first to be vaccinated. All had a "reason" --mostly a false fear of medicine in general and vaccination in particular -- a lot of misinformation and fake news

So sad....
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 03:01 PM

Hi Will when I was there in May the drill was go to the old clinic and do the signup and pay then go to the new clinic for the exit test - arrive at the old clinic around 9:15 to get throught.
Posted By: camelot

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 03:50 PM

Exit testing this past week JVD

Returned yesterday thru San Juan

spent night Great harbor Jost Monday night for test Tuesday am for travel Friday. Spent Monday White Bay via taxi, a little rough for us to go/come in dinghy. Used Boatyball to ensure mooring -- most balls are boatyball but 8 or so moorsecure and some room to anchor near shore

for sure fill out your paperwork on line days before and tell them site/day --they will (did) have the paperwork and the vials for the specimens already ready to expedite the process. If you just show up if they have "extra" vials they may be able to accommodate you but will take time and the specimens go to Tortola on the 9 am ferry

We arrived to the clinic 7:30 and were 6th in the Q. Some had been told to show up as early as 7:30 we were told 7:45.

paid 70 usd each (cc accepted but took cash too in case no electricity)

nose poke and done -- 30 min . Results via email next afternoon

were told that the next day they had ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY folks scheduled -- wow.

can only imagine how many at other testing sites

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 04:53 PM

camelot - thanks for the information. I sent them my form with a request for a Virgin Gorda test. I was worried about payment, as the document only states that the fee can be paid on Tortola! If I get my test done in time, I'll sail off to Guadeloupe; otherwise I will flee to St. Martin. What a mess! I can't get immigration to give me permission to leave (on a boat), yet my legal stay period is expiring...

I'd be more stressed if the anchorages weren't so lovely!

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/10/2021 05:39 PM

Gorda Guy.
Hi Friend, thank you. We will be there early. We only brought iPad and phones and couldn’t fill out the online forms. Had a friend here print em out, Filled them out by hand and sent back...nada. So we called clinic on VG. We have a Wednesday departure. She argued that we needed test on Monday...I tried several times to get a Sunday appointment, she was having none of it. So made appointment. Then called Tortola office “To be sure sir you ought to do it on Sunday. “. So I called and the lady was very harried but moved us from Monday to Sunday. We will take our filled out pages and be there early. I never saw anything like yesterday’s parking ..lots full in and across the road and on the street at 130 and line out the side of new building. I thought later perhaps that was people getting vaccinated in which case would be a great thing. .

Our friends who left ten days ago and were told to show up between ten and 12. Took our Jeep from savannah bay and got back 3 hrs later.

Although they don’t have many cases here yet on VG I’m sure they are doing lots of testing . I’m hoping the demand doesn’t overcome the supply of testing, but feel better with 3 days now. I booked Cape Air down and Air Caribbean back to savea few bucks. I’m hoping they show up. I worry some that incoming passengers will cancel and they won’t show. Will cross that bridge Wednesday. So sad it’s not going better..island is unusually green for this time and weather and breeze is perfect.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 01:06 AM

I haven’t seen active case rate status since Thursday. Any updates?

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 01:08 AM

1100 cases

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 01:12 AM

Thanks Jason - just got a notification on that. Sad but not surprising. 😥

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 01:35 AM

Where did you guys get the updated numbers? I haven't seen any press releases. Also, it seems that they're restricting testing, obviously to manage workload. Do you think they may also want to make things look less bad?

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 01:45 AM

https://www.284media.com/local/2021...mxuXnGqX4mjA48ylQGMJnAPf8MKV3vstb7Bqq-2U

I tend to agree with you on managing perceptions RW.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 02:13 AM

Thanks, MID. Odd that they haven't updated the counts of cases, hospitalizations, and any deaths. I'm sure it's chaotic and they have a backlog of tests.

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/11/2021 11:08 PM

1296 today. 17 hospitalized.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/12/2021 03:52 PM

They have not updated the "poster" with the statistics but much of the information is contained in the latest statement from Dr. Georges.

July 12 Update from Dr. Georges

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/12/2021 04:08 PM

The most important lines from that release.. "There are currently no restrictions on first or second dose vaccinations. There are ample stocks of vaccine and more vaccine is on the way to augment stocks that are expiring on the 31st of July 2021. Please just bite the bullet and get vaccinated."

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/12/2021 04:40 PM

As I figured and the way it worked In every location in the US once the virus got a foothold, the government here has concluded that contact tracing and testing of asymptotic people is useless.

This happens everywhere. A population believes the virus is not as transmissible or as deadly as it is. They believe they have been spared the ravages of the plague by methods other than vaccination. We have another vacation home on a lake in southwest missouri. Like the bvi they did not believe the virus would reach them. Many near our primary residence thought the same thing until it showed up with a vengeance last winter. Honestly short of total isolation which the bvis experienced for months, vaccination or being very lucky, this virus is going to find you.

Mitigation efforts are the best we got short of vaccination. They are not even close to a substitute for vaccination.

Everyone coming here should adhere strictly to the r7les and protocols. My point has been that those most vulnerable need to isolate as hard as they can until fully vaccinated. Nothing else works..not masks or distance when people congregate together away from public and are dependent on their housemates doing same. It fails

It’s going to be a rough few weeks depending on the vaccination rates of most vulnerable. Then the combination of those recovered and vaccinated will be good enough to likely do better.

It’s a hard lesson but it is being learned everywhere vaccines have been available and the population decided there was a better path.

https://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=32815

Just to be clear this in no way condones visitors not following all protocols the government and local businesses ask of you regardless of your vaccination status.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Covid 19 infections in BVI - 07/12/2021 05:08 PM

I hope they wake up and get the vaccine. Over 99% of the deaths last month in the US were from unvaccinated.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline