TravelTalkOnline

Current entry requirements

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Current entry requirements - 09/06/2021 01:37 PM

I am going to pin this to the top, but please feel free to reply to this post with additional info regarding current entry requirements.

As far as I know, the official site here is the current requirements, but please feel free to post if not.

Link to current requirements
Posted By: thefosterfarm

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/10/2021 02:24 AM

Are Catamaran Charters still not allowed to enter from USVI to BVI? We were informed of such from out agency we booked with today. Just wanting to confirm all of this before we lose a chunk of money.....
Posted By: thefosterfarm

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/16/2021 02:38 AM

So, it looks as if charters are allowed to enter? I see the entry requirements, and those are okay, but wondered if the waters allow charters?
Posted By: SVGrenadine

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/17/2021 09:07 PM

See my post http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubb...i-covid-charter-strategy.html#Post263917 in a thread in the USVI/PR forum.

As of 9/17/21, foreign-based pleasure boats are not allowed to enter the BVI. That includes USVI-based charter vessels.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/19/2021 02:27 PM

There are private boats entering now. There were at least 50 or 60 boats from PR in the BVI for xmas in July. I don't think charter boats, but private boats can arrange to enter. The govt. orders link in the other post are from 2020.

Someone recently posted the instructions to enter on a private vessel. I will see if I can find them.
Posted By: SVGrenadine

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/24/2021 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
There are private boats entering now. There were at least 50 or 60 boats from PR in the BVI for xmas in July. I don't think charter boats, but private boats can arrange to enter. The govt. orders link in the other post are from 2020.

Someone recently posted the instructions to enter on a private vessel. I will see if I can find them.

Jason if you can find those instructions I would be very interested. AFAIK the 2020 order I posted earlier banning foreign-based pleasure boats has never been cancelled or relaxed. Thank you.
Posted By: JohnandLin

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/25/2021 09:51 PM

I wish the rules were a little more clear; maybe someone can help. My party consists of all vaccinated adults with the exception of my 8 year old daughter. The BVI.gov page is also confusion, but the link here says that unvaccinated travellers will be subject to using the gateway portal, but doesn't mention quarantine or anything else for her. I'm ok going through the portal if that is what it takes, but I don't want to spend thousands and arrive to find out that we can't go anywhere.

Does anyone have any clarity around kids? Thx!

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/27/2021 12:00 PM

Unvaccinated minors follow the rules of their vaccinated parents. Your daughter will need to arrive with a negative test, will be tested on arrival, and then be free to go on her way. No gateway required.

Waiting for an official release to confirm what was stated in the Premier's address but above is the summary. Here is a link to a good written summary.
Posted By: JohnandLin

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 01:47 AM

Thank you! We'll start the search for airfare and villa.

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 01:14 PM

This page from the Tourist Board might be as close as we get to an official release regarding the updated BVI Gateway protocol for vaccinated traveler beginning 1 October 2021.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 01:29 PM

I gather from reading that that unvaccinated minors must still complete the BVI portal. I don’t however see any requirement for proof of insurance.
G

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I gather from reading that that unvaccinated minors must still complete the BVI portal. I don’t however see any requirement for proof of insurance.
G

No, it specifically states "travellers under the age of 18 who are travelling with vaccinated parents or guardians — will also be exempted from the BVI gateway portal".

I've asked for clarity on the insurance. I very seriously doubt they are going to require proof of insurance. They may say it's required and then not ask to see it. After going thru the arrival process on Saturday, I can't imagine they will expect anyone in that process to review and be able to understand insurance policies. I think it's going to be on the traveler to protect themselves.

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 02:28 PM

Looks like I thankfully read it wrong.

“Vaccinated minors – travellers under the age of 18 who are travelling with vaccinated parents or guardians — will also be exempted from the BVI gateway portal while being subjected to similar stringent measures.”

I gather this means both vaccinated minors and unvaccinated minors traveling with parents are exempt.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 03:16 PM

Pi$$ed away $300 and got insurance anyway..I'll take that over having to fill out the dreaded portal!
Posted By: duckfat

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/29/2021 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Pi$$ed away $300 and got insurance anyway..I'll take that over having to fill out the dreaded portal!
You have permission to reside, and are therefore considered to be a resident, which exempts you from any insurance requirement to enter.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/30/2021 01:28 AM

https://bvi.gov.vg/press-release
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/30/2021 01:46 AM

I wish these things were written a bit more clearly. Can you do a PCR test at home within 5 days of arrival and then not have to take the rapid antigen test on arrival?
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/30/2021 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by MrEZgoin
I wish these things were written a bit more clearly. Can you do a PCR test at home within 5 days of arrival and then not have to take the rapid antigen test on arrival?

Per the new guidelines,
"Will I be tested as a fully vaccinated traveller upon arrival?
Fully vaccinated travellers must take an antigen rapid test upon arrival. If the test results are negative, you will be free to enjoy the Virgin Islands."

Re: Current entry requirements - 09/30/2021 01:06 PM

Short answer is No. You need a PCR/Antigen test at home depending on your vax status. Everyone gets tested on arrival.

Re: Current entry requirements - 10/01/2021 02:53 AM

Short answer is No. You need a PCR/Antigen test at home depending on your vax status. Everyone gets tested on arrival.

Thanks Jason, so for vaccinated adults (and possibly an accompanied unvaccinated minor), it's rapid antigen test on arrival and maybe Binax for return through USVI and that's it?

Re: Current entry requirements - 10/01/2021 12:12 PM

Thanks Jason, so for vaccinated adults (and possibly an accompanied unvaccinated minor), it's rapid antigen test on arrival and maybe Binax for return through USVI and that's it?

You also need a test rapid test within 5 days of arrival in the BVI. Last week, I used a Binax test for that also. So, it's a total of 3 rapid antigen tests.

There is also an insurance requirement. Many people are able to use the existing US insurance for that. We'll probably learn more over the next week or so.
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: Current entry requirements - 10/18/2021 04:36 PM

I posted this in another thread, but that thread doesn't seem to be getting many views currently, so I thought I'd repost my question in the pinned thread. Thanks in advance to anyone with insight.

Thanks for this thread. We're considering a trip in March 2022, into the BVI, where we'd like to spend 3-4 days of a ten day trip in the USVI. It seems clear to me that you can't take a USVI charter to the BVI at this point in time; but what about taking a BVI charter to the USVI for a few days and then back to BVI? I know it's impossible to predict what the restrictions will be in 4-5 months, but as of now, is that possible? Would be only fully vaccinated adults, US Citizens.

Re: Current entry requirements - 10/18/2021 05:24 PM

Currently only private vessels and water taxis allowed to enter. I don't think you charter boat will qualify unless it's your personal boat.

Expect it to change between now and March but nothing is for sure until it happens. Consider going land-based in the USVI for 3-4 days and chartering in the BVI. It will make your planning much easier.
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: Current entry requirements - 10/19/2021 03:43 PM

Thank you, Jason.
Posted By: Gremlin

Re: Current entry requirements - 12/14/2021 12:29 AM

Looking for anyone who has entered since 12/1/21 under the latest COVID-19 protocols. Specifically, what "proof of insurance" was accepted? We are chartering with Sunsail from 1/12-1/19/22 and have purchased travel insurance from Redpoint Travel (State National Ins. Co.) and are trying to get them to give us a certificate of insurance to show the authorities at EIS.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Current entry requirements - 12/14/2021 11:49 AM

We entered 12/10 through Beef Island and showed BCBS International coverage for each family member letter and they barely looked at that and didnt even ask abotu travel insurance. Didn't even buy travel insurance this time (we did in June through Redpoint). In June with Redpoint we had to show each travellers name on insurance (we had to request that from redpoint) and the Moorings list of crew members on contract. We are land based this time but dont think you need all that anymore. Focus was on test results

If you are employed at a company sometimes they have TravelAssist programs through their benefits ...e.g. UNUM. I am sure you could use that 1 pager but again we didnt need that
Posted By: Gremlin

Re: Current entry requirements - 12/14/2021 02:27 PM

Thanks ballau. Enjoy your visit.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Current entry requirements - 12/14/2021 08:55 PM

We came in to EIS 12/8. Only thing they asked for was vaccination card - several times.
Posted By: clementine

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/04/2022 12:44 PM

I too am confused about the required Mandatory Traveler Insurance. We will be Arriving from STT, boarding a ferry to JVD. Will anyone ask for a copy of our Insurance?

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/04/2022 01:15 PM

It seems to be hit or miss. I've been told that American Airlines sometimes asks and Native Son sometimes asks. If you have something to show (example: a letter showing you home policy covers international illness) it will most likely satisfy the person checking. They are unlikely to stop and make sure it covers quarantine cost, medical repatriation, etc.

All that said, consider trying to find a policy that covers you for costs associated with quarantine (hotel, meals, flight change, etc). There are lots of people here right now that are wishing they had coverage. There are lots of positive travel test cases coming up and that cost is on the traveler to change their flights, find a place to stay, etc. We are full but getting requests for quarantine guests every day.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/04/2022 01:41 PM

Agree with Jason. We are here now - fourth trip in the last year. We have previously only traveled with our GeoBlue insurance but bought full travel insurance with generous quarantine coverage for this trip for all the crew. Trying to cover all the risks. We weren’t asked for it on arrival 1/2 but that isn’t even the point at this stage of the game.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/05/2022 12:16 AM

May I ask who you purchased the quarantine insurance from?

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/05/2022 12:24 AM

Safe Travels Voyager plan via Insubuy.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/05/2022 01:43 AM

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/ame..._iH59pe1NgUvRpIFvn5-7QCcoE3b4fIwomerNPN4
Posted By: Husker

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 04:51 PM

Looking for where to find the current entry and exit requirements traveling to and from BVI/US via Air (thru EIS). Can anyone point me to a post here or a link? Many thanks.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Husker
Looking for where to find the current entry and exit requirements traveling to and from BVI/US via Air (thru EIS). Can anyone point me to a post here or a link? Many thanks.

This is the best unofficial summary I've seen.

This one is from the BVI Government.

On the US side, it depends a little on whether you're flying thru STT or SJU but in general you currently need test within 1 day of departure to fly into either location. USVI also requires a portal. PR does not require a portal.
Posted By: rocinante

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 05:34 PM

On the US side, it depends a little on whether you're flying thru STT or SJU but in general you currently need test within 1 day of departure to fly into either location. USVI also requires a portal. PR does not require a portal.

The "unofficial" link (page 2) says that as of Jan 3 you need a test within 72 hours for _BVI_ entry. I knew that is true for the USVI but this is the first I've heard for the BVI. Is it an error? (As far as I can find, the "official" link still says 5 days).

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by rocinante

The "unofficial" link (page 2) says that as of Jan 3 you need a test within 72 hours for _BVI_ entry. I knew that is true for the USVI but this is the first I've heard for the BVI. Is it an error? (As far as I can find, the "official" link still says 5 days).

I've not heard that it changed but will get some clarity from the author

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by rocinante

I confirmed with Candice, who wrote that guide. It's a typo. She was trying to refer to the USVI requirement change.

BVI still requires a test within 5 days; if it's within 2 days you avoid a test on arrival.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 06:47 PM

Like the Villas Virgin link. We are flying EIS-SJU. Is there any hoop to jump thru from PR to US mainland? Appreciate the help, Jason.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/06/2022 08:38 PM

Like the Villas Virgin link. We are flying EIS-SJU. Is there any hoop to jump thru from PR to US mainland? Appreciate the help, Jason.

No requirements to fly from PR to the mainland.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/11/2022 05:27 PM

Jason..booking tomorror please let me/us know if you hear of any changes from the meeting today..first drinks on me!

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/11/2022 05:55 PM

Jason..booking tomorror please let me/us know if you hear of any changes from the meeting today..first drinks on me!

I am not expecting any changes. Possibly a late curfew to curb the club activity but hopefully now immigration changes.
Posted By: Tarheelnani

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/13/2022 04:01 PM

What are the updated requirements in the BVI's for 2022 with covid vaccinations etc.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/13/2022 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tarheelnani
What are the updated requirements in the BVI's for 2022 with covid vaccinations etc.

There are no changes for 2022 in the requirements. The BVI does not require vaccinations.
Posted By: Noreaster

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/20/2022 01:53 PM

Here is a great entry summary from Dolphin Water Taxi web page if entering from the USVI.

https://www.dolphinshuttle.com/covid-19-restrictions

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/20/2022 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Noreaster
Here is a great entry summary from Dolphin Water Taxi web page if entering from the USVI.

https://www.dolphinshuttle.com/covid-19-restrictions

It's a great summary except point 3 is incorrect. The test results must be 1-3 day prior to travel not 1-5 as stated.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/21/2022 04:35 PM

Thank you Jason for the expert eye! Much appreciated.
Posted By: Emot

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/21/2022 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I am going to pin this to the top, but please feel free to reply to this post with additional info regarding current entry requirements.

As far as I know, the official site here is the current requirements, but please feel free to post if not.

Link to current requirements
Posted By: tangerine3

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/22/2022 06:09 PM

There are no changes for 2022 in the requirements. The BVI does not require vaccinations.

But if you are not vaccinated you have to quarantine for 14 days; am I correct? Also even though BVI's requirement is to test 5 days prior if you are flying into STT and taking the ferry over then you have to test 3 days before correct on that as well? thank you.
Posted By: SeaGrass

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/23/2022 01:38 AM

I've been checking this - https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols - and Jason Helmbrecht's excellent posts.

Re: Current entry requirements - 01/24/2022 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by tangerine3
But if you are not vaccinated you have to quarantine for 14 days; am I correct?

Nope; 7 day quarantine. If you test positive on your arrival test, it becomes 14 days.

Originally Posted by tangerine3
Also even though BVI's requirement is to test 5 days prior if you are flying into STT and taking the ferry over then you have to test 3 days before correct on that as well? thank you.

Correct, that is the USVI requirement to transit thru St. Thomas.
Posted By: jass

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/10/2022 06:20 PM

I see where the official site also states you need the following to enter BVI:

travel insurance (visitors) which includes minimum approved coverage for:

o COVID-19 medical costs including hospitalisation, doctor’s visit and prescriptions

o medical repatriation

o quarantine accommodation costs

Does anyone know specifically what is required to satisfy this travel insurance requirement? Does this require a separate travel insurance policy, or does your standard healthcare insurance card satisfy this?

Also, when departing BVI back to US a PCR test is required within 24 hours of departure back to US. Does anyone know specifically where in BVI they conduct the PCR tests such that you can get results back quickly?
Posted By: CarolinaSailor

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/10/2022 06:58 PM

Most (if not all) people have reported that their health insurance card has sufficed to get in, however, this is a personal decision based upon your comfortability with paying for staying an extra ten or so days in a government approved hotel for quarantine (assuming you don't own a boat or lodging on island), just in case you test positive when preparing to return to US.

The U.S. and USVI also accept a fast antigen test as long as it is proctored (ex: Abbott BinaxNow, but there are a few others out there that meet the requirements.) One of the benefits of a proctored rapid test is in case you test positive you can do it again. If you take an on-island PCR test, and test positive, that is it. Enjoy your extended stay.
Posted By: chippero

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/15/2022 01:59 AM

A group of us are flying from the U.S. to STT and then taking the ferry to Road Town. All of this on March 11. Questions just to confirm the latest:

1. Is it correct that if we take a Abbott BinaxNow test (or any qualifying test) on the morning of March 10 (and test negative) that this result will be good to get us into STT on March 11, onto the ferry and into Road Town on the same day without having to test in neither STT or Road Town (less than 48 hours)?

2. Are the ferry providers websites accurate (Native Son, Smiths, Road Town Fast Ferry)? And how far in advance should we reserve those tickets?

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/15/2022 02:35 AM

1. Correct.
2. Websites are accurate as to schedules as of last week. I have already reserved and paid for a June departure (both ways), however, it was for a pretty large group, better safe than sorry. If it is a weekend date, definitely reserve farther in advance, at least a few weeks. They offer travel insurance if you are concerned.

You will need a taxi from airport to ferry dock. Call ferry provider now and see if you can pre-book taxi. I know Smith's does this, can not speak to other two. Nice to have the ferry company's taxi waiting for you, sign and all, just in case you are running late.
Posted By: chippero

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/16/2022 11:56 PM

One more question please: I am seeing conflicting information as to whether or not we are required to apply for entry through the BVI Gateway Portal. We are fully vaccinated and will take the rapid test the day before arrival (within the two day window to not have to retest on arrival). The BVI government site says (as of Nov 16, 2021) that under those circumstances we do NOT have to apply through the portal. However, the BVI Airports Authority page says that all fully vaccinated travelers still have to apply in the portal. Anyone know for certain which one is correct or should we just do it regardless to avoid entry problems?
Posted By: Katey

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/17/2022 03:11 PM

I've been looking for the same information. Here is what is posted on the US Embassy site:

https://bb.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Again, I see some discrepancies..

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/17/2022 03:16 PM

chippero - No portal required in your case. You'll be asked to show your vax card and a neg pcr or antigen test (taken within 2 days of arrival). They will also take your temperature. This was the case when we flew into EIS a couple weeks ago. I don't think anything has changed since then.

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/17/2022 03:16 PM

US Embassy refers you to this site : https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/17/2022 03:23 PM

Katey - If you don't have a test to show, they will test you at the airport. I think in that case you register for the test (thru the hummingbird site). You may be able to just register when you arrive at the BVI airport.

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/17/2022 03:38 PM

Thanks Huskey. It looks like your advice is correct and follows https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols

Testing requirements as a fully vaccinated traveller upon arrival

Fully vaccinated travellers are not required to retest upon arrival into the Territory once a RT-PCR or approved rapid antigen SARS COV-2 negative test result taken no later than 48-hours before arrival is presented. Failure to present the results for any reasons such as delays and overnight layovers will be required to undertake a SARS COV-2 test on the day of arrival into the Territory.

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/19/2022 05:06 PM

We are flying from San Juan to EIS and are vaccinated. Does it matter how long ago we had our vaccination? Thank you

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/19/2022 05:21 PM

We are flying from San Juan to EIS and are vaccinated. Does it matter how long ago we had our vaccination? Thank you

No
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/19/2022 06:03 PM

Your vaccine must have been long enough ago to have taken effect (memory says two weeks). It does not need to be recent.

If you are vaccinated, I believe you must test within five days. I don't think you can just show up relying on them to do the rapid test.

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/19/2022 06:18 PM

better answer than mine...I thought they were asking if it was too old...it has to be outside of two weeks before arrival
Posted By: SacoFrank

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/22/2022 01:56 PM

Sorry to ask but does anyone know what types of rapid Antigen" tests are approved for entry into BVI? I don't have much faith in a PCR coming back in time. An I sure don't want to rely on BVI repaid test at entry.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/22/2022 02:43 PM

Frank - 10 days ago we took "rapid antigen tests" at CVS and our kids took the "rapid diagnostic test (ID Now)" at Walgreens. Both were acceptable for entry. We each got results within an hour.
Alternatively you could buy the proctored Binax Now tests from emed.com and test at home. Those are also acceptable.
Posted By: SacoFrank

Re: Current entry requirements - 02/22/2022 04:06 PM

Thanks CottageGirl!
Posted By: mhdonohue

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/21/2022 09:10 PM

Hello TTOLers, we hope to get to the BVI to start our charter with Sunsail on Arp 2nd. Just 13 more days from now. So many obstacles to overcome especially with the newest potential vessel regulation impact.

I think I have figured out all of the corvid testing requirements but am still uncertain in one area. I understand that as of March 7th, flying in from the mainland to St. Thomas does not require a test however it seems as if we are still required us to register and clear through the USVI portal site. Here is what it reads:

"All Domestic travelers ages 5+ in your travel party who enter the U.S. Virgin Islands by air or sea are required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal and get cleared to travel to the USVI."

Does anyone know the turn-around time is to be cleared through the USVI Portal? We fly St. Thomas on the 1st of April. Can I get a jump start on this go through the registration/application process as soon as today? Went through all the FAQs which only speak to deadlines when applying.

Thank you,

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/21/2022 09:43 PM

First off, you can't register any sooner than five days before your flight arrival at St. Thomas. No jump starting there.

Second, turn around time is related to when you will arrive. Best to wait until the day before or day of your arrival date - the closer dates receive precedence. Response time is pretty quick when you do it then.

Third, yes, you only need to be fully vaccinated (or have negative test) to complete USVI travel portal, however, if you will be continuing on to BVI, you will need to have negative test results, either proctored rapid antigen (like BinaxNow) or PCR.

As of now you will also need to test negative to return from BVI to USVI. Same types of tests. Hope this helps.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/21/2022 10:18 PM

It does. Thank you. We have eMeds (BinaxNOW) test that we plan on using both ways.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/21/2022 10:22 PM

CarolinaSailor - I understand that if you are fully vaccinated and uploading vax cards and not tests you can apply to the USVI portal earlier than 5 days before your trip. This is for the entry from the mainland into STT.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/21/2022 10:46 PM

Uploading early will not speed up their reply. I was not aware that you could do this more than five days prior, but from what I have seen, the replies to early requests seem to be delayed anyway, so why do it and worry about them not replying? Also, it does not make sense that they would let you complete the form with the screening questions that far in advance? Makes the screening questions kind of meaningless? I still think it best the day before travel, just my opinion for what it is worth.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/21/2022 10:58 PM

We’ve been in and out of there so many times since all this started. Applying the day before (unless you have to) is iffy in my opinion. Certainly applying more than a week or so is a stretch as you are correct, they do tend to approve by arrival date but we applied y today for an arrival this Sunday just to see how the response time varies from all our previous trips. Will be interesting.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/22/2022 05:11 AM

Can the eMed.com rapid Rapid antigen which as been recommended to be used as a travel test to get back to the states also work to clear through BVI when coming into the BVI. I do realize the 48 Hrs thing but these would work nicely if we are delayed. Also,

I have ab extra 2 if anyone needs them while in the bvi we are there Arp 2 to the 10th #30 a piece. -Mike

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/22/2022 11:25 AM

Yes. BinaxNow tests through Emed will work for both entry to BVI and re-entry to USVI.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/22/2022 02:31 PM

Carolina - update on USVI approval. We applied late yesterday afternoon and our approval came in at 2:30am this morning. Arrival 3/27. Looks like approval process is improving.
Posted By: DaveZ

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/22/2022 02:36 PM

We uploaded our docs on Saturday and received our green QR code in less than 20 minutes
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/22/2022 05:00 PM

I think timing is everything - I put ours in yesterday at 10:13am and received the approval back at 12:19am (14 hours later). Travel date 3/26. Definitely not bad - kept anyone from getting concerned. Much better than last summer!

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/23/2022 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mhdonohue
I have ab extra 2 if anyone needs them while in the bvi we are there Arp 2 to the 10th #30 a piece. -Mike

Don't get rid of them too early. I just tested to travel to the US and the first box I opened did not have a swab. If I hadn't had an extra, it would have been a real pain.

Re: Current entry requirements - 03/23/2022 08:38 PM

Sage advice..my last one was outdated!

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/02/2022 03:00 PM

Entry to BVI with Children (not vaccinated/too young to vaccinate).

They require neg test before entry as well as portal. They then require re-test on day 4 and need to stay in family bubble during that time, If I am understanding this correctly.

Pertaining to the children's day 4 test. Can this be done with a virtual proctored test like the Binax, or does it have to be done at a BVI testing facility? Anyone with any experience doing this?

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/02/2022 03:28 PM

I don't think so. Those were old protocols.

In general, children follow the parents protocols.

Assuming the parents are vaccinated, children should arrive with a negative test. They will be retested on arrival but are free to leave with their parents while awaiting the results.

About half way down are the official rules. No portal required and I don't think they test children under 5.
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/07/2022 01:40 PM

Hi April 23 is coming up quick! - does anyone know if you can use proof of positive test within 6 months for a fully vaccinated individual in lieu of Negative test for Entry into BVI? The US allows for this but not sure if it is excepted in the BVI - thanks!

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/07/2022 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by UncleLuff
Hi April 23 is coming up quick! - does anyone know if you can use proof of positive test within 6 months for a fully vaccinated individual in lieu of Negative test for Entry into BVI? The US allows for this but not sure if it is excepted in the BVI - thanks!

I've never seen an exception to the testing requirement for a recovered person.

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/07/2022 02:20 PM

okay - looks like it is a hard no! thanks!
Posted By: TC42

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/10/2022 11:27 PM

Hi - we are traveling with fully vaccinated kids (all under the age of 15) into STT and then on to BVI. Are they too required to show a negative covid test within 48 hours upon arrival to the BVI? I believe that they do, but I was checking to see if they were exempt from the testing requirement and can just follow the parents protocol.

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/11/2022 12:44 AM

Yes. Minors 17 and under must submit a negative test upon entry to the BVI. Also must submit to the USVI portal.

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/11/2022 01:50 PM

Hi - just read the updated regulations for entry - what defines an "approved rapid antigen SARS CoV-2 negative test?" - we are planning on taking a proctored via video conference antigen test the day before our trip which is acceptable to enter the US - I am assuming that this will be acceptable to enter BVI as well? Any Canadian's with experience using the Switch Health rapid antigen test kits for entry into the BVI?

Thanks!

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/11/2022 01:59 PM

The rapid antigen (like Binaxnow emed.com) is fine for entry to the BVI. Test within 2 days and you won't have to re-test on arrival.
We are doing this in a few days too!

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/11/2022 02:20 PM

Hi - just read the updated regulations for entry - what defines an "approved rapid antigen SARS CoV-2 negative test?" - we are planning on taking a proctored via video conference antigen test the day before our trip which is acceptable to enter the US - I am assuming that this will be acceptable to enter BVI as well? Any Canadian's with experience using the Switch Health rapid antigen test kits for entry into the BVI?

Thanks!

There used to be a link on the splash screen on the BVI Gateway website but it appears to be gone and I did not save it. It was kind of useless anyway because it mostly list tests available in England. Even CVS and Walgreens that people had been using for months were not on the list.

I always recommend the kits from eMed.com as mentioned earlier. They work for the BVI, USVI, and PR.

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/11/2022 02:27 PM

Thanks!

Found it in an old post. Here is the official list (or at least it was).

Most recently, I've heard them specify any WHO approved test with the following item on the lab report are acceptable:
- Name of patient
- Address of lab
- Phone number of lab
- Date/Time of test
- Negative result
- Signature
- Certification Stamp for lab (usually CLIA)

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/11/2022 02:41 PM

One more COVID test question: The government web site says: "a RT-PCR or approved rapid antigen SARS CoV-2 negative test result" is required, but our lab does the molecular rapid test, not the antigen test. Does anyone know if the molecular rapid test is acceptable as well?

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/16/2022 02:23 AM

The answer to my own question is that the molecular test was accepted.
Posted By: h20ski

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/20/2022 12:37 PM

Curious--was the BinaxNOW (monitored by a telehealth professional) accepted to get into the BVI? We're leaving next week...

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/20/2022 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by h20ski
Curious--was the BinaxNOW (monitored by a telehealth professional) accepted to get into the BVI? We're leaving next week...

Yes.

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/30/2022 11:51 AM

We flew from SJU to EIS on Thursday. InterCaribbean checked for Vax cards and negative test, as expected. They also wanted proof of our return trip, surprisingly.....which sent me digging thru my bag....they were satisfied finally when I produced our water taxi reservation (BVI to St. Thomas) and STT flight home. No one asked for proof of insurance at SJU nor on entering BVI.

By contract, our friends arriving the same day via STT were double and triple checked at the ferry for vax, neg covid test AND proof of insurance.
Posted By: AprilTowler

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/30/2022 04:50 PM

Is this proof of extra/travel insurance or just health insurance? Others in other threads said they flashed their BlueCross or Anthem insurance cards ??

Re: Current entry requirements - 04/30/2022 08:48 PM

While health insurance card may pass scrutiny, they also may not. Depends on who is looking. Certainly, health insurance alone does not meet the stated criteria of a covid policy that provides coverage for 1) medical expenses, 2) medical repatriation expense, and 3) medical quarantine accommodation expenses. Policies that provide these benefits can be very inexpensive, depending on how close you are to travelling and your age. The closer to your travel date and the older you are, the more expensive they become. I have purchased ones for between $24-$40 per person for a two week trip with a lot of lead time.
Posted By: K March

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/08/2022 01:34 PM

Anyone have a emed kit that I can buy? On JVD, just tried with one but the 2 way tape came off and they voided the test. I don't have an extra kit 🙁
I am in White Bay today and headed to TMM charter tomorrow. I am also checking to see if charter company has any. Thanks in advance!

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/08/2022 01:49 PM

Greg Mills on FB BVI Charter Chat, is at Cooper tonight and Norman tomorrow and has two extra tests. You might contact him?
Posted By: K March

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/08/2022 02:44 PM

Thanks. I contacted the JVD clinic and can get tested in the morning tomorrow if I don't find someone on JVD today with a kit
Posted By: Skytrucker

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/09/2022 06:11 PM

Trying to get an answer about supplemental Covid travel insurance. The BVI gov website doesn’t really mention it for fully vax’d travelers, but the charter companies websites still say it’s required (I’ve checked a few).
Anyone know what the actual deal is lately for entry? We’ll be flying into Beef Island from Puerto Rico, chartering for a week out of BVI Yacht charters in June.

Bviyc recomended squaremouth.Com for insurance quotes - seems a little like buying a useless piece of paper…..

Thanks!
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/09/2022 06:20 PM

It's useless until you test positive and have to pay for quarantine out of your pocket.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/09/2022 06:42 PM

Covid Assistance Insurance is definitely still required for all travelers to the BVI. This is defined as a policy that provides benefits for:
1) Medical Expenses;
2) Medical Repatriation Expenses; and
3) Quarantine Accomodation Expenses.

These policies can be as inexpensive as $20 - $40 per person, per trip, with accomodation reimbursement ranging from $500 to $2000+. Or you could add in total trip cancellation insurance and the rate goes up alot. Just depends on your risk tolerance.

Squaremouth.com or InsureMyTrip has search engines that let you specify coverages. GoReady Insurance through Squaremouth has very reasonable policies with decent covid coverages. Insurances will get more expensive as you get closer to travelling, and also varies with age of the insured.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/10/2022 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Skytrucker
Trying to get an answer about supplemental Covid travel insurance. The BVI gov website doesn’t really mention it for fully vax’d travelers, but the charter companies websites still say it’s required (I’ve checked a few).
Anyone know what the actual deal is lately for entry? We’ll be flying into Beef Island from Puerto Rico, chartering for a week out of BVI Yacht charters in June.

Bviyc recomended squaremouth.Com for insurance quotes - seems a little like buying a useless piece of paper…..

Thanks!

It's an oversight on the govt. website; Insurance is required for all travelers.

In practice, very few people are asked to show proof of insurance and those that do, often only show health insurance from the US that covers international illness but not travel or quarantine benefit.

You can roll the dice and and not bother with it and will most likely be fine unless you catch covid and have to pay out of pocket for an extra week of lodging.
Posted By: Michael Gadilhe

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/11/2022 02:00 PM

Arrived in Tortola 5/9 and my wife & I were both asked for insurance. I had taken out separate supplemental policies a couple of months ago. It's all good here on Virgin Gorda.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/12/2022 12:13 AM

Thanks for the responses-
I ended up buying through square mouth, and advised the rest of our crew the same - $40 to minimally cover my wife and I seemed a small price for peace of mind at the customs checks….
Posted By: BostonTraveler

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/17/2022 12:50 AM

Does anyone know if the format we present the negative PCR test in matters? Will a printed copy or digital PDF of the results suffice?

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/17/2022 01:09 AM

Either format fine. Printed results will be faster than using phone in BVI, but both work.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/17/2022 02:21 AM

We always print everything - makes it much easier, especially at customs and immigration.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/17/2022 06:21 PM

Will a CVS anthem test work for entry into BVI at EIS airport?
Thanks

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/17/2022 06:24 PM

Will a CVS anthem test work for entry into BVI at EIS airport?
Thanks

as long as the negative report comes from a certified lab with a signature.
Posted By: TriBVI

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/20/2022 07:57 PM

We are planning to use the eMed proctored tests to satisfy the testing requirements for our return from the BVI back home to the US. We will be taking the ferry from Roadtown back to St Thomas and then fly out of STT that later that day. My interpretation is that this means we are returning to the US by sea. Which in turn means that we have up to 5 days prior to use our eMed tests, upload the results, and get our green QR from the USVI Travel Portal. (If you arrive to the US by air, it's one day).

Do I have this correct? Just thinking that to save time and stress just prior to departure, it might be a good thing to cross off the list if/when we are near good wifi a few days earlier. But would hate to waste our test kits by using them too early if it's one day!

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/20/2022 08:01 PM

Absolutely correct.
Posted By: skyscubadiver

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/23/2022 09:39 PM

Just saw the Moorings website mention that Covid insurance no longer required. Is this true?

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/23/2022 09:54 PM

In reviewing the Moorings website, I saw the same thing. However, there are a few erroneous and dated pieces of information on the website regarding protocols, so I wouldn't take this as being legit until you get something official from BVI authorities. Perhaps they issued new regulations without publishing, but I doubt it.

Covid Insurance is CHEAP - as little as $25 for the whole trip per person. Worth every penny if you test positive for your return to help pay for hotel stay.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/23/2022 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by skyscubadiver
Just saw the Moorings website mention that Covid insurance no longer required. Is this true?

nope. I'd call them and ask for their source.
Posted By: mfringsley

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/24/2022 12:01 PM

I'll one up ya....just checked in my closet for something and found an unopened box of 6 that are all expired! What a waste....

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/24/2022 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinaSailor
In reviewing the Moorings website, I saw the same thing. However, there are a few erroneous and dated pieces of information on the website regarding protocols, so I wouldn't take this as being legit until you get something official from BVI authorities. Perhaps they issued new regulations without publishing, but I doubt it.

Covid Insurance is CHEAP - as little as $25 for the whole trip per person. Worth every penny if you test positive for your return to help pay for hotel stay.

Totally agree on cheap for what you are protecting. I just read a post on fb where the person said their whole boat got covid recently and all had to quarantine at hotel, etc. So that $100 per person REALLY paid off.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/24/2022 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mfringsley

I'll one up ya....just checked in my closet for something and found an unopened box of 6 that are all expired! What a waste....

Make sure that they are really expired... some of the expiration dates have been extended.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/25/2022 12:34 AM

……

This is precisely the conclusion I came to, through Squaremouth.Com brokerage we were able to get $500/day coverage for Covid hotels along with a pretty comprehensive medical and travel coverage, including trip delay for hurricane (!). Although it doesn’t include coverage for outright cancellation of the trip, for $40 (for 2 adults) I’m happy with it…especially considering the total cost of our trip, it’s a small extra…

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/25/2022 03:15 AM

We fly from San Juan to Eis when do we show our Covid test results. Trying to figure what time to do the test at home? Thanks for the help

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/25/2022 10:37 AM

Two calendar days before, not 48 hours.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/25/2022 01:57 PM

We fly from San Juan to Eis when do we show our Covid test results. Trying to figure what time to do the test at home? Thanks for the help

The airline will ask at check-in at SJU and then again at the health center at EIS.
Posted By: TriBVI

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/25/2022 02:41 PM

My wife told me she read 'two days' somewhere too. But this website, which appears to be the official word on it, explicitly says 48 hours.

https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols#:~:text=Travellers%20that%20present%20a%20RT,COVID%2D19%20upon%20arrival%3B%20and

For example, our ferry arrives at RT on the 16th at 3:30 pm, so we are planning to be tested on the evening of the 14th. If it is two calendar days, we could test anytime on the 14th, but we're going to be on the safe side.

Unless others know something we don't know?

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/25/2022 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TriBVI

My wife told me she read 'two days' somewhere too. But this website, which appears to be the official word on it, explicitly says 48 hours.

https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols#:~:text=Travellers%20that%20present%20a%20RT,COVID%2D19%20upon%20arrival%3B%20and

For example, our ferry arrives at RT on the 16th at 3:30 pm, so we are planning to be tested on the evening of the 14th. If it is two calendar days, we could test anytime on the 14th, but we're going to be on the safe side.

Unless others know something we don't know?

It's 2 days; has always been this way but worded differently (I don't know why they insist on this wording). For an arrival on the 16th, a test anytime on the 14th or 15th is fine. I have not heard of a single exception where someone was challenged about the specific time in all the months we've had testing requirements.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/31/2022 03:06 PM

sorry for asking this question- I did look but can't find an answer- Are the Rapid NAAT test done at Walgreens and CVS fine to use for entry at EIS?
Has anyone done this and how far ahead? We leave friday morning and were going to test Thursday afternoon at Walgreens. I also have the Binax Emed but can't figure
out how to register online.
Thanks

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/31/2022 03:12 PM

For emed binax, just go to the emed.com web site, select "start test" when you are ready. You will have the opportunity to create an account. Ignore the Navica app part, you will get your results in email.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/31/2022 03:27 PM

sorry for asking this question- I did look but can't find an answer- Are the Rapid NAAT test done at Walgreens and CVS fine to use for entry at EIS?
Has anyone done this and how far ahead? We leave friday morning and were going to test Thursday afternoon at Walgreens. I also have the Binax Emed but can't figure
out how to register online.
Thanks

Yes, lots of people use the Walgreen and CVS tests. Just be sure they send you a lab report with a certified lab stamp and signature of some sort.

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/31/2022 03:52 PM

Thanks Jason and MrEZgoin
Posted By: Ptarmigan

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/31/2022 05:46 PM

I would caution against using CVS unless you can guarantee getting and printing/saving the results before you leave the US. We made this mistake recently and departed the US while still waiting for the test messages with the results. When the text finally arrived, it included a link to the results at CVS.com. However, the CVS.com website is not accessible outside of the USA! We had to test again at EIS on arrival at a cost of $50 and some delay.

CVS promoted these test as being valid for most travel but I can find no warning about inability to access the results if you are travelling outside the US.
Posted By: BSer

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I would caution against using CVS unless you can guarantee getting and printing/saving the results before you leave the US. We made this mistake recently and departed the US while still waiting for the test messages with the results. When the text finally arrived, it included a link to the results at CVS.com. However, the CVS.com website is not accessible outside of the USA! We had to test again at EIS on arrival at a cost of $50 and some delay.

CVS promoted these test as being valid for most travel but I can find no warning about inability to access the results if you are travelling outside the US.

Ptarmigan,

Thanks for the heads up. I have a test at CVS scheduled for Sunday, and I drove over there today to find out if I could get that confirmed test result in time. They told me that I would have a paper copy in hand before I left the store. So that is one less stress-inducing factor to worry about, several more to go.

Still trying to work out if any ferries stop at West End from STT these days, among other things.

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 05:14 PM

We have 1 person still testing positive from having Covid a few weeks ago- can we use a dr. letter of recovery for them to enter BVI or any other suggestions? Dr says they are good to go.

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 05:26 PM

We have 1 person still testing positive from having Covid a few weeks ago- can we use a dr. letter of recovery for them to enter BVI or any other suggestions? Dr says they are good to go.

no. must have a negative test. have you tried a rapid test?

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 05:35 PM

BSer,

The only public ferry that might stop is Smith's Ferry. This is the only one that has West End as an option as a destination on their booking website.

If they have enough people travelling that want to stop, they will. I was told rule of thumb is 10 passengers, however, if this happens to be the ferry that you would be on, you could call them and ask for Marjorie who has been helpful with this matter for our group. Hope this helps.
Posted By: JulieD

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 05:59 PM

One of our vaccinated travelers has her 1st dose documented on her vaccine card, but the 2nd dose is documented on a some type of letter from CVS (she couldn't find her card at the time). This shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 05:59 PM

BSer,

The only public ferry that might stop is Smith's Ferry. This is the only one that has West End as an option as a destination on their booking website.

If they have enough people travelling that want to stop, they will. I was told rule of thumb is 10 passengers, however, if this happens to be the ferry that you would be on, you could call them and ask for Marjorie who has been helpful with this matter for our group. Hope this helps.

good luck. they are not stopping at WE so plan for RT. I sincerely hope it changes just don't plan around it.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 06:26 PM

Smith's has it listed but use the excuse that not enough people want to get off there.
Posted By: JulieD

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 07:47 PM

The travel protocols on our charter company's website says that in the case of mixed groups (both vaxxed & unvaxxed travelers), all travelers will be treated as unvaxxed for testing purposes. I don't see this on the official website. Does anyone know which is accurate? Thank you!

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/01/2022 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by JulieD
The travel protocols on our charter company's website says that in the case of mixed groups (both vaxxed & unvaxxed travelers), all travelers will be treated as unvaxxed for testing purposes. I don't see this on the official website. Does anyone know which is accurate? Thank you!

I would pretend I don't even know the unvaxxed travelers. who would know....

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/02/2022 12:18 AM

They just did one at Walgreens haven’t done the binax embed online yet

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/10/2022 02:56 PM

Hey carol. We are flying from EIS to SJU to MCO Orlando where do we go thru customs
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/10/2022 02:57 PM

Hey carol. We are flying from EIS to SJU to MCO Orlando where do we go thru customs

You will go through customs in SJU

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/10/2022 09:48 PM

Thanks

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/13/2022 12:17 PM

Sorry, as I'm certain this has been said before but I couldn't find it readily when reading back through the thread. Regarding entry into BVI....is the official ruling that PCR can be taken 5 days before and Rapid 2 days before? Or are both types of tests required 2 days before at the most? The UNITED website says the former but I don't recall seeing anything where the PCR test allowed you to take it 5 days prior to entry.

Re: Current entry requirements - 06/13/2022 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mfringsley
Sorry, as I'm certain this has been said before but I couldn't find it readily when reading back through the thread. Regarding entry into BVI....is the official ruling that PCR can be taken 5 days before and Rapid 2 days before? Or are both types of tests required 2 days before at the most? The UNITED website says the former but I don't recall seeing anything where the PCR test allowed you to take it 5 days prior to entry.

for Vaxxed travelers, 2 days for either type of test. 5 days is OK for entry but you will have to test on arrival

Re: Current entry requirements - 07/14/2022 03:59 PM

no more testing as of 15 July

Re: Current entry requirements - 07/14/2022 05:57 PM

seems to work.

Re: Current entry requirements - 07/14/2022 07:23 PM

Yipee!!!!!
Posted By: tangerine3

Re: Current entry requirements - 12/12/2022 12:32 AM

do you know the most current entry requirements to enter the BVIs from USVI by ferry. the link above I could not find any protocols. Specifically related to Covid just want to make sure no testing or vaccination proof is required, and what the mask rules if any there are at this time, thank you.

Re: Current entry requirements - 12/12/2022 02:27 PM

No more covid related protocols. Masks optional, if I recall.
Posted By: Skindeep

Re: Current entry requirements - 05/27/2023 12:50 PM

Can bareboat charter boats transit between BVI and USVI again yet (with a check in/check out, obviously)?
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Current entry requirements - 07/13/2023 12:36 PM

Probably time to unpin this one too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline