TravelTalkOnline

Provision in person or online?

Posted By: maytrix

Provision in person or online? - 07/14/2022 08:33 PM

We're finally getting back to the BVI after not having been down since 2016. We did make it to the USVI last summer though so we were close!

Last year we just took a dinghy and provisioned in the harbor we were in. Pretty easy. We've got a group of 6 of us. 1 child, so as I go through the boat on arrival, I figure 3 could head to riteway to shop (we're at Conch Charters).

We've almost always provisioned online in the past and its worked well generally, but shopping in person worked great last year as well. Any thoughts on which is better? An advantage to one or the other? If we shop in person would it make sense to have part of our group dropped off on the way to the boat?

thanks!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/14/2022 09:08 PM

Riteway online will be more expensive than your last trip. They used to offer a 10% discount for large orders; now they charge you 10% for picking it. There are several small shops you may want to try, as well. We like French Deli, the seafood place in Pockwood Pond and the new butcher shop. SupaValu can be good. OneMart has things you can't find elsewhere, although I prefer Riteway's produce.

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/14/2022 09:10 PM

Good to know, we'll take a look at the other options. Thanks.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/15/2022 12:43 AM

Heavy stuff (e.g. galoons of water) online and light perishables in person...
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/15/2022 05:22 PM

We do a combo...depending on who has what we order most of the booze/beer/seltzer/wine through Caribbean Cellars. We order water and all of the heavy stuff through Riteway. Once we arrive we shop for the other stuff at One Mart or Riteway with a stop off at the French Deli! If you are shopping at Riteway for beer or seltzer make sure to check the store connected to it (forget its name). They often have bulk items and usually have more selection of drinks.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/16/2022 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by caribbeangirl13
We do a combo...depending on who has what we order most of the booze/beer/seltzer/wine through Caribbean Cellars. We order water and all of the heavy stuff through Riteway. Once we arrive we shop for the other stuff at One Mart or Riteway with a stop off at the French Deli! If you are shopping at Riteway for beer or seltzer make sure to check the store connected to it (forget its name). They often have bulk items and usually have more selection of drinks.

IIRC that would be Road Town Wholesale ( that it has the same initials, RTW, is not accident or coincidence).

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/16/2022 08:10 PM

Thanks for all the input! Looks like we'll just order online to save time and hassle.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/17/2022 11:50 PM

Truly--you'll make a list anyway, Matt, just order what's on the list and not worry about it anymore. Delivered to the boat, you can fill any holes on the fly.

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/18/2022 12:28 AM

Yeah, that's how we've always done it in the past and it worked well. No need to fix what isn't broken smile
Posted By: HeatherlovesJVD

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/19/2022 12:23 PM

We did most of our provisions from Riteway and were able to pay with a credit card online that was encrypted. They were out of a few things last minute so we had to grab some things quickly and used Bobby’s, which we had years ago, but they made me fill out my entire credit card info with expiration date and security code and email it to two places. A few days later my card was used in the states to buy guns, climbing gear and a bike. What a hassle. Just a warning..
Posted By: capttom

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/19/2022 02:18 PM

If you are in Roadtown on a Saturday morning, stop by the Farmers Market across from the Ferry Terminal and have a look at the abundant local produce, including some top the best Conch Soup you will ever have, and the fried plantain chips from Mill Round Farm. Or go to Clint's Organic by the Fire Station for some regional and local produce, especially the fresh pineapple. On VG go to the produce guy opposite VGYH and the banks and ask fro some coconut water, it is the best! Local produce is out there, just takes a short walk to get it, or ask the taxi guy for a quick stop. Totally worth doing.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/19/2022 03:17 PM

Great suggestion from Capt Tom!
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/19/2022 04:40 PM

We order our produce from Good Moon Farm (organic). They deliver to the boat.

Re: Provision in person or online? - 07/19/2022 05:28 PM

Thanks for the warning Heather, looks like Riteway was the winner this time - we've got the order mostly filled out now. Any idea how far in advance they need it? I didn't see that. I figure if we submit tonight or first thing tomorrow for Friday delivery we should be good?

And yes, great suggestion Capt Tom, but I'm going to have to keep it from my wife. EVERYWHERE we go she goes to a farmers market. And if we were there Saturday we would, but we'll be boarding Friday and off to Leverick/Marina Cay where we'll pick up my sister in the evening.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline