TravelTalkOnline

love lock spot

Posted By: psod

love lock spot - 03/07/2023 12:32 PM

Just curious if there are any designated "love Lock" places as there are in many destinations now?

Posted By: MIDiver

Re: love lock spot - 03/07/2023 06:32 PM

No not currently which honestly I think is a good thing. There are already too many things being thrown in those beautiful waters.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: love lock spot - 03/07/2023 08:05 PM

This was my exact thought too.
Posted By: ohstate

Re: love lock spot - 03/08/2023 01:19 AM

Take only pictures and leave only footprints.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: love lock spot - 03/08/2023 10:11 AM

I must be getting old..I had to Google this to find out what the he## "Love Lock" means!. Agree with others though the old Bomba Shack ( Pre Irma ) might have been appropriate..
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: love lock spot - 03/08/2023 01:22 PM

Don't feel bad Mal. I had to Google it as well.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: love lock spot - 03/08/2023 03:52 PM

I only knew the term because I read about the removal of tons and tons of locks on that bridge in Paris.
Posted By: Ragtime

Re: love lock spot - 03/08/2023 03:55 PM

Bomba's Shack would have collapsed with a lock or two thus putting love in question
Posted By: SV Absolutely

Re: love lock spot - 03/09/2023 05:20 AM

I’ve seen plentry of them in Europe, especially the rail bridge across the Rhein in Cologne, I sure hope we don’t start seeing them in the islands.
Posted By: Midsouth

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 11:45 AM

Now that I've googled it... Use a sharpie to accomplish the same thing. I recommend Foxies. Or perhaps the bar at big bamboo.
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 02:11 PM

I recommend nowhere in BVI. Leave it as you found it. No junk that someone is going to have to remove.
Posted By: psod

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 05:29 PM

wow I can't believe all the negativity,,,,, crazy,,
St.Maarten has a really nice set up on the bridge over the lagoon,, has no environmental impact,,,
as do most of the places I've visited
but I guess it's lesson learned on this forum,,,,I'll just move along,
Posted By: ohstate

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 07:31 PM

What was it that you could leave at Bombas? Wasn’t there a bar where women left their panties? I’ve not been to either, but perhaps that would suffice in lieu of a love lock?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 07:33 PM

Several bridges in Europe (Paris, Koeln, Dubrovnik) have had safety issues due to these love locks - the sheer added weight of the locks exceeds the design specifications for the side barriers and they have sunk/buckled. So although the idea is nice, it isn't quite as innocuous as one would think.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 07:55 PM

The BVI does not have metal recycling on island. So when all those locks are removed, they either would go in landfill or the government would have to pay to ship them off island. B-Line used to let people write their names on the ceiling.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 08:09 PM

And when Irma came along they would have all ended up in the reefs.

OP thinks we are being negative-I just see it as advocating for the health of a place we all hold so dear.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 08:09 PM

That was Bomba's.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: love lock spot - 03/10/2023 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by skipdastraw
And when Irma came along they would have all ended up in the reefs.

OP thinks we are being negative-I just see it as advocating for the health of a place we all hold so dear.

Agree skip.
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: love lock spot - 03/11/2023 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ohstate
What was it that you could leave at Bombas? Wasn’t there a bar where women left their panties? I’ve not been to either, but perhaps that would suffice in lieu of a love lock?

That was Bomba's on Apple Bay. Long since gone thanks to Irma.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: love lock spot - 03/12/2023 09:59 AM

We could discuss the reasons for all the fee increases for cruisers and charterers in the BVI. New cruisers have no memory of the previous decades. Too many people wonder " why is it so expensive" and " why is there a separate environmental fee" ?? Why is there a new arrival fee, and why did the departure tax go up like a rocket???

People who understand will nod. People who won't understand will succeed in not learning.how and why to nod. When people leave, NOT to come back, many people will be sad.

Just seeing the boatloads of trash the Reef Keepers and their volunteer help bring in should be a huge wake-up call. We do try to be better and AT LEAST do something good for a BVI .
Posted By: tangerine3

Re: love lock spot - 03/12/2023 06:47 PM

i'm glad i'm hearing that this is not a good idea, they are very unsightly, lots of other things you can do for love
Posted By: Manpot

Re: love lock spot - 03/12/2023 06:49 PM

Indeed..may I suggest a lovely romantic dinner at The Sugar MIll in Apple Bay..more memorable than a rusty padlock
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline