TravelTalkOnline

Does anybody use watershoes in bvi?

Posted By: StripedBass

Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/08/2023 11:09 PM

We have an 8 day catamaran bareboat trip with three adolescents in March.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/08/2023 11:30 PM

Always.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 02:32 AM

you will be barefoot while aboard. Flip flops are typically all you need ashore unless you plan to do some hiking. Water shoes are nice to have for exploring rocky beaches or shallows.
Posted By: SV Absolutely

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 05:08 AM

These and a pair of flip flops work for me[Linked Image]
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 10:00 AM

Agree..but dont use them to walk on our fragile reefs!
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 11:02 AM

Would not be barefoot for long aboard. Flipflops not adequate either. Toe and foot injuries are predictable without boat shoe protection.
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 11:02 AM

Would not be barefoot for long aboard. Flipflops not adequate either. Toe and foot injuries are predictable without boat shoe protection.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 12:01 PM

We are only barefoot on board. If it is medically necessary to wear shoes on board make sure they have nonslip and non marring soles and they stay on the boat. They should not be worn in the dinghy or ashore. Keep a separate pair of shoes for land only. We take sport sandals for shoreside adventures.
Posted By: Volle Maan

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 02:01 PM

I recommend the Hoka Hopara. Easy on, easy off. Support and cushion. https://www.hoka.com/en/us/hopara/
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 02:43 PM

SV Absolutely--Please limit the size of your graphics in the future. thanks.
Posted By: vytis104

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 04:03 PM

No water shoes. Only Boat shoes such as the Olukai above, flip flops and barefoot. Isnt the point to have your toes in the sand? "Gotta beer in my hand, boat shoes in the sand..." Just doesnt work.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 04:15 PM

Sperry boat shoes, water shoes and flippy floppies are all great.

Shoes on boat policy....
All shoes, water shoes, flip flops, swim fins that leave the boat, come off on swim platform for thorough de-sanding before coming back onboard.
Most that stuff stays in a locker in the cockpit.

Still in up with sand onboard, in the salon, in the bed! .... cloud
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 04:58 PM

just a little comment--when you are back to the boat, any water shoes need a soapy bath and fresh water rinse. hang on the lifeline can to dry. when you take them off the line, put them in a lazarette, not below deck in your cabin. They develop a ripe funk in the tropical climate.
Posted By: Aries4

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 05:33 PM

This maybe not a perfect answer for true boaters. I'm usually more of a landlubber when I'm in the BVI except for ferries. However, I always buy a new pair of Crocs whenever I come down. A basic pair with holes in the tops and especially around the toe areas. On land, they are easy to get on and off but stay on well with the straps. And they protect toes and feet better than flip flops. I wear them into the surf as well for protection. Then when you get out of the water, they protect your feet from hot sand. Afterwards, they are extremely easy to rinse all the sand off of due to the holes in the shoes and toes. They dry off very quickly since they aren't made of any type of fabric. Which is great in preventing sand being tracked into vehicles or onto boats when you're done walking around. Wouldn't recommend wearing them on the boat, though, since they can tend to be a bit slippery on smooth, wet surfaces.

I'd be interested to hear from those more veteran than me what their opinion on my island Crocs is. Pros/cons?
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 05:39 PM

No crocs on the boat - super slippery and falls are worse than banged toes. And if they are worn on land they aren’t worn on the boat. Sand, dirt and rocks/pebbles are a nightmare.

I broke toes taking my ASA’s way back when and I seemed to be able to survive and still preach the no shoes on board mantra.
Posted By: SV Absolutely

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 06:38 PM

Not my graphic, was a link to a 600x600 pic online
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 07:11 PM

Absolutely--I have sent you a PM
Posted By: Jamie O

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 07:32 PM

I have only used them for swimming ashore at The Baths. Not used them anywhere else
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by FRANKIE2

Maybe I'm just clumsy but I learned many charters ago that those metal thingies on the deck have a way of jumping out and ramming my toes. That plus traction issues keep me in shoes when on the deck.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Does anybody use watershoes in bvi? - 03/09/2023 08:16 PM

I always pack them and haven't used them since Marina cay closed. There were always tons of urchins there. This past trip I was wishing I brought them with me to Bitter End, rather than forgetting them in the suitcase. Hard to find a nice sandy entry there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline