TravelTalkOnline

One day in San Juan

Posted By: Winterstale

One day in San Juan - 08/08/2014 06:29 PM

I have a co-worker heading to PR because we are in the middle of filming a Disney Channel movie there (oh boy!) -- she has ONE day free and is NOT a beach gal - any recommendations on something she can do for the day - that does not involve alcohol since she has to work a night shoot that same day....which might be easier on a Disney Channel movie with alcohol on board but I digress....
Posted By: snmhanson

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/08/2014 06:34 PM

Touring the forts and wandering around the streets in Old San Juan could easily fill a day. If not a city person maybe a trip to the rainforest.

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/08/2014 06:36 PM

Yes, I suggested Old San Juan as well - and I didn't think of the rainforest - she might really like that.

Thanks!
Posted By: Twanger

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/08/2014 06:43 PM

Yes, some nice hikes to waterfalls in El Yunque (the rainforest).
She could rent a car and drive up there in a couple of hours from San Juan.

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/08/2014 06:51 PM

Walt - I think she's a little tentative about doing things all by herself - she'll probably check in with the concierge to see if she can go with some kind of tour group. I told her to check tripadvisor as well.

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/09/2014 02:31 AM

Understandable. There could certainly be an excursion to El Yunque to be found.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/09/2014 11:38 AM

The forts and the old city are great. We spent 5-6 hours at El Morro, had lunch in the old city and walked around the rest of the day. We walked by the governors mansion and saw a sign for tours and went on the spur of the moment, it was really nice.

In February, we did the rain forest. We hired a private guide who picked us up at the hotel. He was great. I don't have his contact info on this computer but will look it up when to get to the office.
Posted By: jphart

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/09/2014 11:38 AM

Lots of mini tour bus types for a couple hour San Juan tour. from the airport, down at the cruise port, or hotel pickups. Good way to waste a few hours before flights. Always shopping in old town, gambling in Condado.

Or for great lunch, tell her to go to the Metropolo in Isla Verde.

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/09/2014 12:59 PM

Thanks all!

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/10/2014 12:09 AM

The Metropol is my favorite restaurant in PR.

Helps if you like Cuban cuisine.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/11/2014 03:04 PM

This is the tour guide we used -

http://elyunque.com/islandwalkers.htm

Our group of 4 adults and one child were very happy with his service. We could have followed the trails on our own but his knowledge about the rain forest really enhanced the experience.
Posted By: Dougie

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/15/2014 06:12 PM

If she loves pork, she might head to Guavate, in Cayey. There are a dozen or so lechonarias, my favorite being El Rancho. Pig on a spit, carved with a machete, with multiple fabulous sides available. About a 45 minute drive each way.
Posted By: stevemac

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/30/2014 12:45 AM

Sounds interesting.... Would you consider the El Yunque rain forest a day trip from Old san Juan?
Posted By: Dougie

Re: One day in San Juan - 08/30/2014 04:30 PM

I did it that way. We did two short hikes, including one that took us to a swimming hole under a waterfall. Awesome tree frogs. That was in '94 so I'm due for a visit.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline