TravelTalkOnline

prescriptions

Posted By: pito3

prescriptions - 03/09/2015 04:14 PM

so since im old now im taking several prescriptions daily. Do I need to bring the bottles with me or can I just carry the necessary pills in my checked bag in a ziplock bag? it will save a lot of space...then again I don't want to be thought of attempting to smuggle drugs. I would just be carrying enough for my 11 day vacation not bring anything into the US on the way home...is SXM customs a problem with this? is it best to put in carry-on or checked baggage?
Posted By: RonDon

Re: prescriptions - 03/09/2015 04:25 PM

Hubby has done it both ways. Not carrying large script bottles is great but we always wonder if we'll be asked to supply script so we get one from the doc in case.

Last trip we just loaded up a pill carrier and carried it in carryon. TSA "fondled" it then sent us on our way. However, once we had to get a script at the Medical center in Belair SXM and we we told to be sure to have the paperwork for customs upon return to USA. They DID ask tons of questions about THAT one but said nothing about the other pills.
Posted By: Kathleen

Re: prescriptions - 03/09/2015 04:28 PM

I never bring the original bottles any more except for my one "Restricted" script. In over 20 trips to SXM, have never had anyone question or even look at anything. I now have to bring an injectable script with me and they never looked at that either.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: prescriptions - 03/09/2015 04:49 PM

To answer your direct question--SXM does not even HAVE a visible customs inspection when you either enter or leave SXM, if you are flying an American carrier. Never flown a South American carrier or KLM, etc. from Europe, although I understand they DO have more strict customs inspections for those planes.

Most likely, if you were to have any problems, it would be boarding the plane in the US (or Canada? not sure where you're from), and coming back into the states. I've been flying into and out of SXM for over 20 years now and have never had someone question my meds. Generally I put them all in one pill bottle. However, I am not taking any schedule I or II controlled drugs, at least not on a regular basis. If I was taking a controlled drug, I would bring the bottle, yes. And if you think you may need a refill while on island. If you are taking a LOT of meds, you might want to see if your pharmacist could give you a list with all the meds that are prescribed for you, in case there might be a question.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: prescriptions - 03/09/2015 07:23 PM

We spend 6 months here, and my husband is on LOTS of meds. We travel with the prescription meds in our carry ons, and other meds in checked bags, and have never been questioned, either in SXM or the US.
Posted By: pl3

Re: prescriptions - 03/09/2015 08:18 PM

Bring a long term prescription from your doc.
Both sides are subsidized.
An $80 US scrip was $10 on the Dutch side, $5 on the french
Posted By: kish

Re: prescriptions - 03/09/2015 08:53 PM

For my own peace of mind I bring more than enough medication to last my vacation and I ALWAYS pack in my hand luggage, which is what the airlines (Canadian airlines anyway) rocommend. I did run low on insulin on my last visit so I just took the box that had a written scrip on it to a French side pharmacy and it cost me half of what it cost me to replace some broken vials in another province in Canada.
Posted By: Toronto

Re: prescriptions - 03/10/2015 06:34 PM

I am diabetic and always carry my meds with me and never had any issues. You never know where you checked luggage may end up or what temperature variations it will go through, always better to carry them with you either in original bottles or daily pill containers. If you are worried bring along a copy of your physicians prescription.
Posted By: january

Re: prescriptions - 03/10/2015 07:03 PM

Time to get this thread off topic.
Quite awhile ago, I can't remember how long, an airline lost my bag. I went through the lost bag drill at the airport to no avail. The next day I called the airline and got a complete runaround. I felt they were trying to make me believe it was my fault. I got so mad I told them that my heart medication was in my valise and I needed it, which was untrue. That got there attention! A couple hours later my phone rang. It was the airline saying they found my bag and it was on the way to my house. Soon there was a knock on my door and a taxi driver handed me my suit case. About an hour later the airline called and asked if my medication was in my bag and if I was feeling okay. I said yes. The next day they sent someone out to check on me. I almost felt sorry for doing what I did but they treated me like crap and the story just blurted out without me thinking.
Posted By: candj

Re: prescriptions - 03/10/2015 07:21 PM

We also carry our prescription medicines in a carry-on and have never had a problem. We also carry the real prescriptions from our doctors, just in case we should somehow lose our medicines. We have had those prescriptions filled at the pharmacy in Simpson Bay.
Posted By: drewmon

Re: prescriptions - 03/12/2015 12:47 PM

We forgot and left a prescription med home one time. Went to the pharmacy in Maho to inquire about having our doctor fax the prescription from the US. The pharmacist said that we didn't need a prescription in SXM (maybe just not for that particular med?). So we got what we needed, and the full cost was dirt cheap - even cheaper than our copay at home.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: prescriptions - 03/12/2015 01:12 PM

It depends on the med. Some things in SXM you can get without a prescription, yes.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline