TravelTalkOnline

Could be a Nasty August...

Posted By: shieneehead

Could be a Nasty August... - 07/21/2017 08:32 PM

http://www.soualiganewsday.com/local/sou...s-expected.html
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/21/2017 11:30 PM

I think they are making something out of nothing. Every year the peak of the season is usually Aug - Oct. This is nothing new...

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/21/2017 11:53 PM

That's true but this article states several factors that raise the likelihood of significant storms in the Caribbean. We are 3 weeks away from launch so I am keeping an eye on reports. We usually travel either in hurricane season or in January so we've been in go through this almost every year.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/22/2017 12:57 AM

Just make sure you have trip insurance. We never travel without it and we did have to collect twice.
Posted By: ARC

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/22/2017 02:02 PM

I have to laugh at these long range forecasts. I live on the Gulf coast in Texas and every year it's going to be an active tropical season, with X many tropical storms and X many hurricanes. These are the same people who are 50% or more wrong about the weather 24 hours in advance. By August they are having to "revamp" the X's because hardly any activity has happened. Now the news media enjoys all this kind of hype because they just can't wait for the big one to hit! In Houston the weather people can see a few clouds coming off the coast of Africa and already talk about something forming in the Atlantic! It's almost comical to listen to the weather. I would never worry about booking a trip during hurricane season, yes a storm could hit, but the odds are tremendously higher there will not be one.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/23/2017 05:46 AM

Oh my!!!! Weather forcasters? They have a great job!!! They get it wrong most of the time and still have a job and get paid... There is no way to predict that far in advance, and with weather, things to change in a blink of an eye... Is it a risky time? sure. I would not listen to the weather, as you will probably worry for nothing.... Just my opinion
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/23/2017 07:13 PM

Actually I'm surprised at how accurate forecasters are and I appreciate the heads up. Thinking of heading down around August 10. If conditions are ripe for some storm activity I may reconsider.

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/23/2017 07:20 PM

Accurate? I think most people wake up, look outside and see what the weather will be for the day... As for predictions? that's what they are... Mother nature has fooled us many times over... They can predict bad conditions, and those bad conditions become ok... We live in Pa. and if I had a dollor how many times its wrong, I would be very rich... That's our experience for sure

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/23/2017 07:31 PM

I still plan to monitor the situation.

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/23/2017 09:02 PM

Please do... Your call. not mine. I do not visit in hurricane season.
Posted By: bksm

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/24/2017 06:28 AM

It could also be a mild August in the tropics.

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/25/2017 06:38 PM

Is there a good website to keep track of potential hurricane activity?
Posted By: bksm

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/25/2017 08:04 PM

I use the National Hurricane Center

nhc.noaa.gov

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/25/2017 08:08 PM

Ok. Thanks!

Re: Could be a Nasty August... - 07/25/2017 08:34 PM

I've been using

http://stormcarib.com/
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline