TravelTalkOnline

Hurricane Irma

Posted By: dolfer

Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 08:37 PM

It looks like the worst of it will start around 8:30pm. With any luck it'll be over by 3am. Hang in there y'all. Our hearts are with you.
Posted By: luvitinsxm

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 08:53 PM

The worst is tomorrow morning not tonight.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 09:20 PM

Eyewall will be closest in about 16 hours. Then still half of storm to come. Over by 3 am? Nope.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 09:27 PM

This thing maybe over the island for next 24 hours at current speed.

gonna be a long night. As one person said, light a candle for them.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 09:39 PM

Agreed. Closest point of approach, according to Storm Carib, is not until 11 AM tomorrow morning. Then the other half of the storm is still coming. Take care..
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 09:51 PM

Just looked at both the PTZtv web cams. Cant believe those boats moored on the water will make it through tonight. The one small stack of lounge chairs on the beach will become flying projectiles. My heart goes out to all those fine residents of St Maarten. We have friends that are visiting us from St Maarten and staying with us that live on the west side of Great Bay. They are to fly home Friday on a red eye back to SXM. Told them they can stay with us as long as they want.
Posted By: Shelby2

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 09:57 PM

Wishing you and everyone in Irma's path good luck...stay safe!!!
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 11:21 PM

Will they cut power?
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 11:36 PM

Someone in P-burg told me they cut power at 11:00 this afternoon.
Posted By: badbenni

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 11:39 PM

I just heard from another friend on Island in Pointe Blanche and NO POWER . All is calm and no wind or rain right now but power is off and water has been off for hours as well.
Posted By: Julius

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 11:42 PM

We live in Point Blanche, power is still on.

From GEBE press release:

GEBE Press release
Good day to the general public.
Seven Seas Water, the water production company has discontinued the production of water due to the ground seas.
During the passing of a hurricane, tanks should be filled to capacity to:
1. Ensure at least a 2 day storage of water to the community.
2. To prevent the tanks being damaged.
Yesterday NV GEBE ensured all tanks were filled to capacity, however, by this morning water technicians realised that the tanks were running low. NV GEBE was therefore compelled to discontinue the water supply.
This was an emergency decision to ensure water was sufficient for the community after the storm.
NV GEBE apologises for the inconvenience this has caused.
* *Update on electricity* *
NV GEBE hereby informs the general public that electricity will remain on as long as possible, however once the situation deteriorates and it becomes unsafe, electricity will be shut off until it is safe to restore the power.

GEBE messed up again..
Posted By: badbenni

Re: Hurricane Irma - 09/05/2017 11:44 PM

My friends power is off though. Ill text her and tell her power is on in some areas of Pointe Blanche.
Thanks and I hope their power has returned.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline