TravelTalkOnline

Concorde at PJIA

Posted By: dolfer

Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 01:14 PM

Does anyone remember when the Concorde SST landed in SXM?
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 01:40 PM

I don’t believe the Concorde SST ever landed at SXM.
Posted By: pat

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
I don’t believe the Concorde SST ever landed at SXM.

About 95 % sure it did land in SXM at least once. A very high level meeting between a French leader and an American Leader in the mid to late 80’s perhaps?

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 01:53 PM

It was one time only event in 1989. Plenty of references on the 'net. Funny how I heard about it. Wife and I were sitting on the beach here recently and mentioned to our friend Mike that we were coming back to our favorite island soon and he began to tell us about spending several months in the late 80's crewing on a yacht. They're timing was perfect as they sailed by Maho the Concorde landed right in front of them. I was going to call BS, but knowing our friend, but I kept my mouth shut which was good because it is true.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 02:26 PM

Yup, Mitterand and Reagan met and so both the Concorde and Air Force One landed on SXM.
Posted By: chazo

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 02:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMh20J6MLXE

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 02:58 PM

I stand corrected. The flights took place on 16 December 1989 and the meeting was between Mitterrand and Bush 41. Air Force One was still the old 707 version VC-137 designated as SAM27000.

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 03:19 PM

Sorry, I also got it wrong. Thought it was Reagan! duh

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 03:24 PM

Amazing how different Sunset looked! And it surely was a clear day!
Posted By: torch

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/27/2018 03:43 PM

Concorde actually landed at SXM on at least one other occasion, and perhaps even twice but both times were in darkness. The Mitterand / Bush meeting was the only time it landed in daylight. I did some research when I was writing a magazine article for a PJIA Anniversary and was surprised to find it had landed there more often than once
Posted By: ARC

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/28/2018 01:51 AM

https://goo.gl/images/u7AKeC
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/28/2018 02:41 AM

That would have been a sight. Can anyone find a takeoff video. Ive seen it takeoff a few times from Washington Dulles before and it was the loudest thing I can remember commercially. The whole Dulles Terminal shook and all the windows rattled.
Posted By: Rasputin

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 11:59 AM

I happened to be on the island during that meeting. The meeting was held at L'Habitation.
If I remember correctly, they quietly installed a temporary "machine-gun nest" at the top of the hill by the road
that led to the resort. I guess one could say that there was a fair amount of security for the meeting smile
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 12:48 PM

Glad to see you are still around.
Posted By: JimRuos

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 02:46 PM

I remember the Presidents Bush and Mitterrand's meeting at SXM with the Concorde flying low over Orient Beach in 1989. Jokingly (?) we had inquiries from French security staff for accommodations at Club Orient. Nevertheless, that was rejected by the military as their agents wouldn't be able to hide their guns while on patrol. Funny, but true. … Jim.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 07:18 PM

Good for them for asking and too bad for them they couldnt.

Inwonder whose idea was a St Martin meeting? Obviously, I would think they went to the French side for the meeting? Anybody have any recollection as the where, how long, restaurants visited?
Posted By: Rasputin

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 08:26 PM

The meeting was at the L'Habitation, which is (was) on the French side.
If I remember correctly it was 2, maybe 3 days, and everything was self-contained at L'Habitation,
so no they did not go out and about to restaurants around the island.

Also, if I remember correctly, neither President drove around the island.
They took helicopters to and from L'Habitation back to PJIA.

The invitation was from the French President to the U.S. President, so I would assume
the French chose the location.

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 09:03 PM

President Bush returned to Washington that same day. I am unsure of Mitterand’s itinerary. There might have been 2 or 3 days of preparation prior to the get together.
Posted By: Steve Bond

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 11:06 PM

My wife and I were at the airport shortly after they landed. They shut down baggage so my wife was going to wait while I took a cab to get car rental. The main road was just shut by the police with a blockade. That doesn’t stop a SXM taxi driver who just veered onto the dirt and drove past the blockade. Fortunately the police didn’t come after us. There were even scuba divers in the water for added protection. It was quite a sight. The Saint Maarteners were so proud rightfully so. Us Americans were furious for the inconvenience.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Bond
My wife and I were at the airport shortly after they landed. They shut down baggage so my wife was going to wait while I took a cab to get car rental. The main road was just shut by the police with a blockade. That doesn’t stop a SXM taxi driver who just veered onto the dirt and drove past the blockade. Fortunately the police didn’t come after us. There were even scuba divers in the water for added protection. It was quite a sight. The Saint Maarteners were so proud rightfully so. Us Americans were furious for the inconvenience.

lol...can you imagine swimming off of Maho and suddenly a frog man emerges next to you?

Re: Concorde at PJIA - 08/30/2018 11:41 PM

Wow!!!

I never thought this thread would generate such a discussion and lead to some amazing SXM history. Thanks to all contributors. I can't wait to see my friend Mike again and tell him all that I learned. He is a really cool guy who is over 70, still quite fit and splits his time between central Mexico and northern Michigan. And, an unending source of great, and as it generally turns out, true stories.

Thanks all!!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline