TravelTalkOnline

Airport Rebuild Updated Conditions

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Airport Rebuild Updated Conditions - 04/11/2019 09:52 AM

DAILY HERALD
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/11/2019 11:40 AM

So, nearly two years since the airport was destroyed and they are finally getting around to setting conditions and hiring the proper people for rebuilding. Hmmm, makes you wonder what the government priorities have been for bringing in tourist money to the island??? So sad frown
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/11/2019 11:49 AM

I was thinking the same thing... and basically it took an outside party (bond holders) to drive them to this.. Very sad indeed.
Posted By: edaklein

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/11/2019 01:55 PM

speaking of airport,what ever happened to the 50 million insurance money
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/12/2019 11:19 AM

They were working on the roof and trim yesterday. I couldn't see any actual interior work in progress.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/12/2019 11:59 AM

They've been on that roof for 6 months.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 12:55 AM

Well they are not getting very far are they? Lol

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 09:38 AM

Actually they are. It's a giant roof.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 10:31 AM

True, just joking. I'm going see if I can spy some interior work today on my way out.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 10:52 AM

When I saw it in January It was evident that while the wing-like rounded edge design was unique and beautiful it was also custom and expensive.

A wiser move years ago would have been to make the building out of standard size window and trims for the roof and edges to allow for immediate ordering and reconstruction.

To get this on a fovorite tangent, id rather walk down jetstairs to the tarmac feeling the tropical SXM sunshine at arrival. Wouldnt like a downpour. But thats what you get with my way.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 11:00 AM

Don't think you can get near enough to see inside.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 12:18 PM

That's great, except for those who don't have good mobility, especially going back up into the plane. Also takes a lot longer to load and unload the plane.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 12:34 PM

When we embarked the plane in Portland this week it was raining and instead of stairs it was a covered winding ramp that was very easy to roll bags and walk along. Didn't look to expensive and was very Mobil. Would be nice if PJIA had something like those until the regular jetways are functional.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 01:38 PM

Apparently Jet Blue has a ramp in SXM, but I have not seen mention of any other airline using one there.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 01:47 PM

Hope the rest follow suit.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/13/2019 01:50 PM

That would be nice, considering it looks to be what, at least another year before they will be using the jetways?
Posted By: pat

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 12:12 AM

We came through the airport today and I really didn’t think it was bad at all and particularly for a Saturday arrival. When they were still using the tent back in November we sailed through immigration but luggage retrieval was total chaos. Today the immigration line was long as there were a couple of planes at about the same time but it moved well and baggage claim was a piece of cake. I really couldn’t complain if I wanted to.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 12:19 AM

Welcome back and thanks for the positive comments about your arrival. Do enjoy your stay.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 12:21 AM

PS: Great new Steak House at Maho called Jax Steak House . Wonderful and you and John can do the Porterhouse for two persons for $ 70.00. Enjoy.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 01:13 AM

Glad you had a good flight down. We are all ready for your daily reports, keep us all posted. Not really, enjoy your vacation and don 't think about us! LOL

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 01:17 AM

Glad you arrived OK. Enjoy!!!
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 11:33 AM

When we landed in back in October. That was how we disembarked the plane. On that zigzag ramp. It worked fine for all, including those of handycapped way.
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 11:33 AM

Pat-Glad you arrived safely. Enjoy your stay.....
Posted By: pat

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 11:47 AM

Thank you all. It’s always such a good feeling being here.

And Lesley Bruce - what can I say? He is such a treasure! For the first time we opted NOT to get our car at the airport and take a cab directly to Royal Islander. Lesley was there to meet his other arrivals and greeted us anyway and then helped us get a cab and deliver all our luggage into the cab. Thank you so much for that and for meeting us later at our request with the car.

As I’ve said so often with regard to car rentals, price is always an important consideration, but the real deal for us is SERVICE and Lesley goes the extra mile to deliver it and with a smile and a hug, too. Lesley, you are the best!

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Colour1
When we landed in back in October. That was how we disembarked the plane. On that zigzag ramp. It worked fine for all, including those of handycapped way.

Good to hear that they have one there.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 01:53 PM

David--was that Jet Blue?? That's the only airline I have heard that is using a ramp.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 01:58 PM

Just wondering. Does each airline own their own ramps at an airport or is it available by request for use?

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 02:07 PM

Scubaman--as I have said, Jet Blue is the only one that I have heard of using the ramps. Pat--were you on Jet Blue or AA? Did you have a ramp?

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 02:47 PM

Perhaps they use it when they know they have mobility issue passengers on board?

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 03:12 PM

Elaine--have you personally seen them use a ramp for anything OTHER than Jet Blue flights??

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 03:18 PM

I've only been on Jet Blue since Irma as it was the only way I could get to my destination without 20++ hours of travel. Have had ramp every time, except the first. I'll let you know in June if we get one on AA.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 03:27 PM

Ok, thanks. We certainly did NOT have a ramp on AA in June of 2018.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 03:33 PM

In March 2019 JetBlue landed us in SXM with no jetway but we did exit the airplane both front and back. A bus was waiting to take us to the terminal and to go through immigration. Airport terminal is a disappointment and I hope it will be back to the way it was soon.
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Airport Rebuild Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 03:39 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of all this administrivia they just deliver bottom-line news of what will be done when -- news tourists want. Including preclearance...

Re: Airport Rebuild Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 06:50 PM

We didn't have a ramp last May either. Flying in on AA this coming May. Will find out then.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 08:13 PM

In mid November we use the zigzag ramp on jet blue is was good

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/14/2019 09:31 PM

Again, it appears that only Jet Blue uses a ramp..

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/15/2019 01:08 AM

Guess I'll find out in May
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/15/2019 01:16 AM

West Jet uses a ramp as well for some arrivals and departures.

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/15/2019 01:22 AM

You talking stairs or flat ramp?
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/15/2019 02:33 AM

A curved ramp from the ground up to the door of the plane. No stairs involved.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Airport Rebilid Updated Conditions - 04/15/2019 03:30 AM

The zig-zag ramp takes up a lot of space, and my impression is that it doesn't move much more than from it's parking location to the closest jet parking spot, the one all the way on the left end of the terminal building, looking at it from airside. I don't know if it is a PJIA asset, a JetBlue asset, or someone else's, but JetBlue sure does use it a lot.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline