TravelTalkOnline

Another day in paradise

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 12:29 AM

The ladies wanted to shop for new suits at endless summer. They were successful and found me a couple too. After a long day poolside we BBQed prime New York steaks we brought on our deck and played a little low stake cards. Life is good on da island.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 11:13 AM

Sounds good! Enjoy!

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 12:22 PM

Off to Anse Marcel for today. Reserved a cabana for lunch.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 12:46 PM

Oh, NOW I'm jealous!! Enjoy!
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 02:38 PM

I'm jealous too! smile
Hopefully Next trip...... need Pictures!!!

Can you post pictures of the new suits?
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 04:51 PM

hope water isn't off at that end? Tuesday French side? Hope you have a great day!!

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 08:24 PM

I was concerned at first about the water being off but Whatsapped them yesterday and they said they have own water tank. Day was great and lunch was excellent as expected. Will be going again next week.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 11:02 PM

What is the secret to getting steaks to the island? What to do and what not to do.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/18/2021 11:55 PM

Water is off in Orient Village but all restaurants have back up cisterns. Just left Bikini. You cannot beat those ocean side tables.
carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/19/2021 12:02 AM

Check a cooler as luggage. No dry ice, just regular ice. We've taken a polar bear cooler for years with never a problem. Taking leftovers home is another story, so consume everything you take. We go for 8 weeks, so we always take a cooler with meat that's hard to find, or very expensive on island. Still buy most of our stuff, so still contributing to the economy.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/19/2021 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
What is the secret to getting steaks to the island? What to do and what not to do.

Bring your own from home. That's what we do. Polar Bear cooler all the way from west coast. Vacuum sealed. Before we go to airport cooler is loaded and put in freezer 2 days ahead. Taken out before on way to airport. Never a problem.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 11:54 AM

So, thats two votes in the thread for the polar bear cooler. Other than insulating, they must be good at no leakage in the cargo hold/handling, etc. Is your ice 100% frozen on arrival or some melt?

Looked them up since I wrote above and see they are just that.

Do you guys have “12 can,24 can, or 48 can” or other size cooler. Soft sided? And you both check the meat as baggage?
Posted By: pat

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 12:07 PM

Well here’s another vote for Polar Bear. We don’t vacuum seal our steaks but we do deep freeze them, packing the cooler as the last thing we do the morning of our flight and then we pack the cooler solid so there is little or no airspace around the cooler items. Coming from the East coast we don’t travel as far as Scuba but the cooler bag is still in transit at least twelve to fourteen hours minimum and things are always still solidly frozen upon arrival. We haven’t brought frozen items for the past year or two because we’ve been able to find quality items on island but we used to travel as a family of four to six adults and it was well worth the effort.

Never had any leakage of any type and we always tagged and shipped the cooler bag.

I love my Polar Bear! 😊😊

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 12:12 PM

We don't put ice in cooler. As pat said we pack it really tight and put in freezer a couple days before we travel.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 12:32 PM

AO Coolers are very good as well. Very similar to polar bear but usually a bit cheaper.
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 03:45 PM

I am confused, why are people bringing food with them. Is it special stuff, unavailable on the island?

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 04:38 PM

I used to bring food for many reasons - availability on island back thirty or so years ago of things we would enjoy; the convenience of not wanting to have to ‘shop’ while on vacation; the cost of feeding four to six people three meals a day for two weeks.....but today, for just two of us I couldn’t be bothered unless it’s something special that I really question being able to get on the island. But we all have our reasons for doing whatever. Some people hate to cook, shop or whatever and hard as it is to believe some of us don’t enjoy having to eat every meal out and would rather reach into our freezer and haul out meatballs and sauce from home for an easy dinner. 😊😊

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 05:12 PM

That's why we do it. Better steaks, wild caught Alaska salmon and game meats to cook for us along with giving to island friends and some special cuts not available here.
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 06:34 PM

Forgive if I sounded condescending, it was my intention, and I see what your saying Pat. I understand both the 'not wanting to cook' and the desire have something unavailable on the island but for me I hate carrying any more than I have to, especially a beach vacation, so to heft a cooler AND luggage around is not something I will ever do. However I challenge Scubaman to check out what Carrefour has to offer. I bought wild-caught salmon twice and the juiciest, tastiest ribeye I have had in a long time.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 08:54 PM

Challenge not needed. Have been shopping at carefore for years and Grand Marche long before Carefore. I pride myself on the salmon I catch and prepare. Would never order it in a restaurant or a market for any reason. As for lugging a cooler, I slip mine in a checked duffle with shoes and other stuff. We usually fly FC for that great a distance and are allowed 2 checked bags each at 70lbs each.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 10:46 PM

Not condescending at all. I’m often curious as to what motivates people to do things that are absolutely in opposition to what I might do. And believe me, some of the really strange things I do leave people scratching their heads, too. I’m one of the few people I know who travels with my own night lights - need I say more? 😊😊

And on another note, like Scuba, traveling in First or Business gives you those extra free bags to ship as opposed to $30.00 plus per bag if you have to pay to ship them. Our last trip we shipped two carry-on bags each as opposed to one normal sized bag each. DH was still recouping from surgery and couldn’t lift the heavier bags and neither could I, so like most things when it comes to vacationing preferences. WHATEVER WORKS, RIGHT? 😉😉
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/20/2021 11:02 PM

Like Scuba, check the polar bear cooler as a piece of luggage (we do add ice packs, but we spend the night in a hotel the night before our flight), so it's about 30 hours from packing to unpacking. Everything still frozen solid. Like Scuba, we usually spring for first class tickets, so no extra expense. Now, if we were going for 2 x weeks, no. But for 8 weeks, definitely worth it. JMO.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/21/2021 11:28 AM

Speaking of Polar Bear Coolers, I got an email yesterday with their 2 for 1 offer that usually comes around Christmas. It's a little different in that you have to get two of the same kind if I am reading it correctly. Their is a different discount code for each cooler. I.e. If you order the 24 pack soft sided cooler the discount code is 24PACK to get another free.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/21/2021 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dolfer
Forgive if I sounded condescending, it was my intention, and I see what your saying Pat. I understand both the 'not wanting to cook' and the desire have something unavailable on the island but for me I hate carrying any more than I have to, especially a beach vacation, so to heft a cooler AND luggage around is not something I will ever do. However I challenge Scubaman to check out what Carrefour has to offer. I bought wild-caught salmon twice and the juiciest, tastiest ribeye I have had in a long time.

I'm with you!! The less to carry the better!
Plus right now the island needs our business.

We do not cook much, so that makes a big difference . To those who love to BBQ etc. bringing their favorites is different.
A sandwich, eggs or soup is no problem for nights we stay in.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/21/2021 12:57 PM

It's about what YOU are comfortable with. No right or wrong. We always carry a mini cooler onboard with us, one that would fit INSIDE a carry-on bag, so not a huge amount of stuff. .

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/21/2021 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
It's about what YOU are comfortable with. No right or wrong. We always carry a mini cooler onboard with us, one that would fit INSIDE a carry-on bag, so not a huge amount of stuff. .

Exactly...I thought that is what I said--lol
Posted By: dannan

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/22/2021 12:10 AM

Lots of fun, but a tad pricey. Went there last week.

Re: Another day in paradise - 05/22/2021 01:07 AM

And what are you referring to? If it's Anse Marcel it's all about the ambiance.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline