TravelTalkOnline

Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 12:08 AM

Link

Lesley--what can you tell us about this? Where is this exactly??
Posted By: pat

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 12:22 AM

They won’t be happy till all of SXM is destroyed and their pockets are over-flowing.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 01:27 AM

I wonder if this is the same development that was advertised before with renderings on various Facebook pages.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 01:31 AM

WOW
What [censored]!
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 01:32 AM

BULLSHITE

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 01:39 AM

Scuba--I think you are thinking about the condos which Topper is building next to El Zafiro, which are on White Sands Road. This is apparently something different..

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 02:02 AM

But still Toppers plans, right? It pays to be connected.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 02:04 AM

Yes that is the one I was thinking about. Maybe next to or same area? Hopefully Lesley or Elaine will have some info.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 02:26 AM

Not completely certain but they mentioned the view at Bourgeaux (sp?) Bay being obstructed so I’m thinking that CANT be it.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 02:56 AM

This is what a friend on island told me thats in the know.
" it is opposite BayView Villas on the interior side of Fan Coral"
Posted By: Todd

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 05:04 AM

I went to Toppers once, wouldn't go back it it was free. But people will, and these units if built will end up occupied. Good luck to those who own in the Beacon Hill area.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 11:27 AM

Ditto, Todd. I echo your sentiments completely. I never got what people saw in the place but that’s a vanilla vs chocolate thing, right?

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 01:20 PM

Pat--yes, the place next to El Zafiro is being built by Topper, yes.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 01:23 PM

Todd and Pat-I don't care for the restaurant either, but that's a matter of taste. If this story is correct, then this project needs to be stopped. But it probably won't be.

Scuba--OK I think I know where it is, sort of, now.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 02:39 PM

There is another story about this in today's DH, that so far is not in the online version. Hopefully it will be placed online soon. Residents have made a complaint with the Ombudsman against Minister Doran, stating that Doran acted improperly in personally giving permission to demolish the homes on the plot. Also the sale was specifically limited to construction of three single family homes, according to deed restrictions in the sale, according to the story.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 02:47 PM

Hello Carol , this location is opposite Sea Urchin at the head coming from the Airport and making a right turn. Terrible doings but the work has currently been stopped.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 04:10 PM

Lesley--glad to hear the work has been stopped for now, but I figure that unfortunately it will probably still happen. I wish the other story about the complaint to the Ombudsman would appear in the online edition.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 04:11 PM

Omg. Can you imagine buying a private home there and all of a sudden you get a mid rise building complex next to you! Can you imagine the extra traffic and extra sewage issues and all the other problems that come along with high density dwellings. All for the love of money. Sounds like SXM politicians being politicians. another good old boy deal. What happened to doing it the right and legal way ? Can’t imagine Holland won’t step in and investigate this. All I can say is WTF is going on SXM???!!

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 04:56 PM

I imagine Topper has many friends in high laces and will skate this through.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 05:57 PM

Ok great. I guess next time anybody needs anything done or to get a building built just bypass the gov. Just go see topper, obviously he’s the one really running the island. 👍
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 06:16 PM

Ill be the contrarian. If he owns the land and what he is building is safe. Let it be.

Not a big fan of HOAs and neighbors telling you what to do with land you own.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/06/20...-house-swallowed-by-massive-development/
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
Ill be the contrarian. If he owns the land and what he is building is safe. Let it be.

Not a big fan of HOAs and neighbors telling you what to do with land you own.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/06/20...-house-swallowed-by-massive-development/

That poor guy is probably gonna get squeezed about by the property tax increases.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 06:42 PM

Pelican--I very much disagree. Especially IF the second story in the paper is true, that there were restrictive covenants in the deed, stating that only single family houses could be built there. According to the second story, the property sold for way under the actual value, perhaps acknowledging that commercial properties are not authorized in the area?? The area has very narrow roads, which would be over-run by the additional road traffic, and apparently the design did NOT provide for sufficient parking. So, in addition to blocking their views of the ocean--obviously a huge concern--the residents have very real concerns about how this would affect their environment.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 07:05 PM

Well said Carol and it's our area Residential and not Commercial.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 08:29 PM

Don’t always ageee but thank God for HOA’s! Can you imagine with all the nut job ideas out there can you imagine all the obnoxious projects that could be built right next to your home? Look around SXM with all the issues with loud music at night bothering timeshare hotel guest sleeping , etc. HOA protects your property values and some law and order is needed in this crazy world. Obviously they were aware of any restrictions And this was a neighborhood of single homes for a long long time. They had to know there was going to be a huge legal battle. Let see if money prevails over what’s right. If they get away with it well good for them, unfortunately bad for SXM. IMO.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 10:25 PM

Well you don't live here on St.Maarten and to speak the way you did , you don't care for other humble people's well being in general .
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 10:33 PM

If there were covenants and deed restrictions well then those should apply.

I always remember the HOA turning down a privacy fence request and then two years later the head of the HOA put up a privacy fence.

Hopefully the great laws, politicians and real estate deeds of SXM will sort this out properly for the concerned parties.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 10:52 PM

Pelican--as I said, the second story in the DH said there are deed restrictions, as a part of the deed where Topper purchased the property--for significantly LESS than actual value, supposedly.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Well you don't live here on St.Maarten and to speak the way you did , you don't care for other humble people's well being in general .

I don't see Foreversxm's post as not caring for "humble people's well being in general". I saw the direct opposite.
Posted By: Dutchman

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/18/2021 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by Kennys

I don't see Foreversxm's post as not caring for "humble people's well being in general". I saw the direct opposite.

"Let see if money prevails over what’s right. If they get away with it well good for them, unfortunately bad for SXM." I believe Lesley was referring to this portion of the statement.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/19/2021 01:10 AM

We are in our second home in Beacon Hill and bought the first one 1991. Thanks.

Re: Residents object to construction on Beacon Hill - 10/19/2021 02:58 AM

I’m certainly for law and order and following the rules for everyone. I certainly don’t agree with that type of building in a neighborhood like beacon Hill. If the residence can’t beat it and The developer prevails ,well it’s good for them (the developer) not for SXM. Sorry…Lost in translation I guess. Time tells all.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline