Posted By: Carol_Hill

Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 05:07 PM

Link
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 05:13 PM

Link not available.
Posted By: johndana274

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 05:18 PM

It's a facebook link so will have to have an account. If you want to travel to St Martin without testing you have to have a booster now as well starting January 1st

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 05:45 PM

Oh, sorry, it's the SXM 'official' facebook page. There's nothing on the EHAS page yet.

As of January 1, if you are unvaccinated, you have to have a PCR test within 48 hours. If you are double vaccinated, you have to have a PCR test within 48 hours, or an antigen test within 24 hours. If you are double vaccinated and boosted, no test. Those 17 and under who are double vaccinated can enter without a test, even without a booster.

Posted By: Mikel

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 05:57 PM

Here is what I copied from their page this morning:

** Travel requirements scheduled to change as of January 1st 2022; applicable for persons 18 years and up **
Minister of Public Health, Social Development and Labor (VSA) Omar Ottley hereby informs the public that, given the rapid worldwide spread of the Omicron variant, Sint Maarten will be implementing various protective measures.
With Omicron fast becoming the dominant variant in numerous countries, the following changes to Sint Maarten's entry protocols will go into effect as from Saturday January 1st 2022 for all incoming travelers to Sint Maarten.
Unvaccinated persons will require a 48 hour PCR test, while persons who received both doses of an approved COVID vaccine will require a 48 hour PCR test or a 24 hour antigen test. Persons who are 18 years and older and who have taken a booster shot will be able to enter Sint Maarten without a COVID-19 test.
Persons 17 years and younger who are eligible to take a COVID-19 vaccine can enter without a COVID-19 test once they have taken both doses of an approved COVID vaccine.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 06:03 PM

Link works for me but I'm also on Facebook.
Posted By: CanadianCutie

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 06:35 PM

Okay, I have a question. Can I do the EHAS approval before I have the 24hour antigen test done or do I need to wait to submit in my antigen test information? I just feel like I’ll be cutting it a little close as we are being tested at 12 noon the day before our flight at 9:30 am the next morning.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 06:37 PM

No, if you are required to have a test, you have to have your test results to upload, in order to get approval.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 06:40 PM

Thanks Carol! I think I may need some Valium to get through just getting to SXM. Can’t wait to get there, but the stress of everything beforehand is crazy!

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 06:50 PM

It is stressful, doing the testing beforehand. You're sure you have to have a test? Not boosted?

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 07:00 PM

I only have two shots currently and hubby is in the same boat. I’m waiting to take my booster shot and my husband has been currently advised that he is not a candidate for the booster shot.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 07:41 PM

OK.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 07:42 PM

Get the booster asap. Why isn't hubby a candidate with all the encouragement for everyone to get boosted?
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 07:53 PM

So if you aree fully vaccinated (with a booster) there really is no change???? Just upload your vax records up to 3 days before?

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 08:01 PM

Yes.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by timnboston
So if you aree fully vaccinated (with a booster) there really is no change???? Just upload your vax records up to 3 days before?

According to the CDC, fully vaccinated does NOT currently require a booster, just the two shots or one of the J & J.

Sadly, another moving of the goalposts that will likely take me out of the market to travel to SXM. Between their government and ours, I am done playing the game of "what do I have to do to travel".

Let's make some new rules and move the goalposts yet again.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 08:09 PM

I am on facebook and the link is currently not working.

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now"

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:07 PM

Unfortunately hubby is one of the people that had an adverse reaction to the second dose of Pfizer. Severe joint pain especially in the larger joints. He’s a very active and healthy 49 year old normally. He’s been tested and the doctors have concluded he is one of the people that had a inflammatory response that can happen after vaccines. It just happened to be the Covid vaccine in his case. Very unfortunate and he’s now on meloxicam for the next 6 months to see if he can get through this. Just really sucky when you do the right thing and this happens.
Posted By: Marie

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:12 PM

Very sorry to hear of your husband’s reaction to the second shot. And he is so young and healthy.
Posted By: Marie

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:17 PM

I understand rural carrier’s frustration with the goalpost changing but it’s the freaking virus that’s changing and the respective governments are just trying to do the best they can.

I would like to know what they, Sint Maarten, means by boosted. We were boosted on September 24, the day after the CDC said we were eligible. What is the timeline for the booster? Israel is boosting people Over 60 at four months. My guess is there is no timeline at this point But that will certainly change.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:33 PM

"I would like to know what they, Sint Maarten, means by boosted. We were boosted on September 24, the day after the CDC said we were eligible. What is the timeline for the booster? Israel is boosting people Over 60 at four months. My guess is there is no timeline at this point But that will certainly change."
Valid concern. We got boosted day after it was approved. Wondering what time line will be for our May trip.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:33 PM

I think as far as SXM is concerned, if you have three shots, or J & J plus a booster, they don't care how far apart they were.

As far as SXM changing rules, they have changed things too often, with too little notice, to allow people to plan. Very like when they shut down in March last year, with absolutely NO concern for tourists who had to scramble to try to get back home. I wouldn't presume to speak for JD, but that has to really stick in anyone's craw, that had to scramble, just to try to get home.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:36 PM

It was and is the US requirements on returning back home, not St Maarten.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 09:38 PM

This thread is about travelling TO SXM, so not sure what your post means.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/22/2021 11:53 PM

TY for the short version.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 12:04 AM

Yes, I was there in March 2020 and got to be a part of the debacle trying to get out. I have ZERO trust in their government and the same with ours. Pretty much, likely game over for me.

Posting changes via Facebook is a pi$$ poor way to run a country and a government.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
This thread is about travelling TO SXM, so not sure what your post means.

Just replying to what you posted.
" I wouldn't presume to speak for JD, but that has to really stick in anyone's craw, that had to scramble, just to try to get home."

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 12:13 AM

"Posting changes via Facebook is a pi$$ poor way to run a country and a government."
It's also on their official site too.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
"Posting changes via Facebook is a pi$$ poor way to run a country and a government."

AFTER it was posted on Facebook. Their "Official" site often lags well behind their social media postings.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Marie
Very sorry to hear of your husband’s reaction to the second shot. And he is so young and healthy.

Thank you for your kind words. Trust me, I feel horrible for him. He works out 5 days a week, eats healthy and tries to do everything to stay healthy, but then this happens. Hopefully the inflammatory protein in his body that’s causing the problems disappears over time. The Doctors are thinking this is the most likely scenario.
Posted By: kim

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 01:17 AM

My sons doctor doesn’t want him to get the booster. He had the two Moderna shots. He’s supposed to join us 1/5. Can’t find testing anywhere that guarantees return in time. This sucks!!!
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 01:42 AM

Where is your son located and what day does he fly out?

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 03:56 AM

JFK 1/5/22. He will be 22, I’m trying with local Physcians One Clinic. CVS and Walgreens aren’t showing any availability.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:25 AM

Where does he live? I see testing available in Newton and surrounding areas on the 4th.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:26 AM

Give me a zipcode around where he wants to test.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:46 AM

Newton is in MA. 06470. Found a drive through in Danbury CT. So that’s possibly an option if results come back in time.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:53 AM

There are rapid testing times available in Bethel CT on the 4th. This looks right next to Danbury and being a rapid antigen you should get your results in about 30 minutes. They have appointments starting around 10:30am and running until about 6:30pm on the 4th.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:58 AM

The above would be a CVS location.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:59 AM

Let me know if you need more information or if I can help.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 11:05 AM

Thanks. But that would be cutting it a bit close And when you log in all his info it says he isn’t eligible. But thank you. We will figure it out.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 11:31 AM

Not much fun playing the " change the rules/move the goalposts" game, is it?

Good luck.

A very good friend (my age) was advised against the booster by his doctor just this week. As of now, according to the CDC "fully vaccinated" does not require having a booster.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Not much fun playing the " change the rules/move the goalposts" game, is it?

Good luck.

A very good friend (my age) was advised against the booster by his doctor just this week. As of now, according to the CDC "fully vaccinated" does not require having a booster.

Exactly!!!! This is wrong on so many levels. Especially when they can’t get their population to get vaxxed. Curious how they will handle all those celebs coming back from St Barths on 1/1 and 1/2

And what about those flying in 1/2? Double vaxxed but need a 24 hour test or 48 per. Basically impossible.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 11:57 AM

I couldn't find it....it was "updated" a couple of days ago but it looks the same to me. Still says this:

You are considered fully vaccinated with an accepted vaccine :
2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer, Moderna, Astrazeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac/Coronavac and Covishield vaccines, or
2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine, or
2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series combination of a single dose Pfizer or Moderna with a single dose Astra Zeneca, or
2 weeks after a single-dose of vaccine after a confirmed COVID-19 infection within 6 months before the vaccination (to be stated on proof of vaccination in absence of a digital COVID-19 infection certificate).

https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

..and, as mentioned, the Facebook link doesn't work (I am on Facebook) so I will hold back on informing my tennis group of the change until I can see it officially in print ...and not a Facebook post

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 12:18 PM

You have to have a PCR test 48 hours before the flight or an antigen test 24 before the the flight and this would meet the requirements and by taking the antigen test he would have his test results in short order. If he answers the first question yes followed by no or yes for the other questions than he qualifies. Not sure why you think he wouldn't qualify? If he is flying the next day than the only possible answer to the question below is yes.

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 for future travel or recreation (according to CDC guidelines)?
Yes. No

Not sure what time his flight is, but if it is a morning flight, you could test at noon, have your results by 1pm and have 20+ hours before the flight.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 12:51 PM

until I can see it officially in print ...and not a Facebook post

Correct, how "official" is a facebook post?

A local restaurant we frequent was doing a holiday gift card giveaway via their facebook page. I entered and the next day I got a facebook message indicating I had won. Only problem was so did many others as their facebook page had been "cloned" and the only noticeable difference was an "apostrophe as in (')" between the two words of the name of the restaurant. A good example of how things can get messed up using social media for "official" announcements.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 01:54 PM

The link is still dead but I went to the SXM News page on Facebook and found the announcement....still kinda lame that it is only there but here it is:

St Maarten News
·
** Travel requirements scheduled to change as of January 1st 2022; applicable for persons 18 years and up **
Minister of Public Health, Social Development and Labor (VSA) Omar Ottley hereby informs the public that, given the rapid worldwide spread of the Omicron variant, Sint Maarten will be implementing various protective measures.
With Omicron fast becoming the dominant variant in numerous countries, the following changes to Sint Maarten's entry protocols will go into effect as from Saturday January 1st 2022 for all incoming travelers to Sint Maarten.
Unvaccinated persons will require a 48 hour PCR test, while persons who received both doses of an approved COVID vaccine will require a 48 hour PCR test or a 24 hour antigen test. Persons who are 18 years and older and who have taken a booster shot will be able to enter Sint Maarten without a COVID-19 test.
Persons 17 years and younger who are eligible to take a COVID-19 vaccine can enter without a COVID-19 test once they have taken both doses of an approved COVID vaccine.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 02:19 PM

The story is in the Daily Herald, unfortunately only (so far) in the full edition, not in the free links online.

It is referred to in today's editorial. Link
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 02:19 PM

It is doable to get a PCR test and travel to SXM next year but my concern is what if there is a spike of cases on SXM while I am there and they shut down the island again. I just don’t feel comfortable till this new variant plays out and the panic goes away.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 02:40 PM

...and then the next variant will take over. Omicron was first found in So. Africa around a month ago and it went bonkers there BUT their cases are now on the decline (down 20% this week). There will probably be another variant to take its' place BUT, with that in mind, I have decided to live my life as best I can and not go into eternal hibernation....do the best I can to prevent the bad things from happening to me and live my life as normally as possible...(stretching the word "normal" a tad). I am not 20 years old ....my life is now and I will deal with it

States are having record number of positive cases right now so I guess we will see what a month brings...it comes down to you have to do what YOU feel reasonably comfortable with

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:28 PM

"according to the CDC "fully vaccinated" does not require having a booster."
That doesn't matter entering SXM.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:31 PM

The release is on the Sint Smarten Government website. The link below will take you there.

Sint Maarten - updated Covid entry requirements

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:35 PM

"according to the CDC "fully vaccinated" does not require having a booster."
That doesn't matter entering SXM.

I am aware of that. I was making the point of ANOTHER moving of the goalposts. This crap is getting old.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 04:36 PM

Thanks I was just getting ready to post that link. Was released yesterday. Same day as Facebook post.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 05:27 PM

Hasn't made it to the EHAS site yet

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 05:48 PM

Yes, anyone looking just at the EHAS website right now for travel after the first of the year will be seriously misled.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:17 PM

It's the just flu folks........

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Yes, anyone looking just at the EHAS website right now for travel after the first of the year will be seriously misled.

Hopefully the EHAS site will update soon. Could cause some real problems for the uninformed.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:27 PM

If I did everything asked to enter SXM and had an approval through the EHAS for my travel dates, I want a guarantee that I have fulfilled the requirements during my stay and although requirements may change during my stay it would not be applicable to me because it changed after my approval.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:35 PM

sxmbound-no, it's not.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:37 PM

martini--If you are already on the island, if SXM changes it's ENTRY protocols after you are on island, obviously they won't apply to you. If the US changes it's entry protocols, that's a different question.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:40 PM

Should not affect you unless St Maarten enacts a new requirement for travelers already on island to adhere to. Not to say that couldn't happen.
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 06:55 PM

And if the protocols (e.g. masking, physical distancing, entry restrictions to businesses or restaurants or even lockdowns) changed while you are on the island, they would apply to everyone on the island, visitors and residents alike. Just like anywhere else in the world. One of the risks of travel in the middle of a pandemic. If you want zero risk, then don't travel! Simple.

Re: Entry requirements for SXM changing again - 12/23/2021 07:06 PM

I find it kinda ridiculous that China is on the SXM green list as a low risk no testing or vac needed country and they are initiating lockdowns because of the virus....makes perfect sense to me
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline