TravelTalkOnline

Air Port

Posted By: DICKG

Air Port - 02/28/2022 02:08 PM

It’s been sometime since I have seen anything on how the airport reconstruction is progressing , not sure if that’s good or bad it’s been a long time since the bitch of a hurricane crippled the airport and many times it was reported it was starting to rebuild only nothing happened except charges of corruption and other things The airport is a main engine of the economy it handles the people who contribute the most to economy and wellbeing of the Island it’s the first thing they see and the last thing they see it would be nice to see some progress the date of completion should be in cement instead it’s in a bucket of water . Five years has been way to long it’s not a tunnel it’s above ground the only thing that has hampered it’s reconstruction are the people in charge of doing it , just get out of the way and let the construction people do there work
Posted By: the captain

Re: Air Port - 02/28/2022 03:10 PM

can't argue there but Im guessing COVID is an excuse to slow things down?

I took a pic of this as I was leaving. Curious why they didn't complete tear it down yet.

I mentioned elsewhere, I recall seeing jetways made of concrete @ JFK in the 70s. When rebuilding here, I would hope that's considered.

Attached picture IMG_7627.jpeg
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Air Port - 02/28/2022 04:39 PM

Essentially there's been nothing done to the airport for several years. Upper level is not used.Immigration and baggage claim all where baggage claim used to be. Departures ans security are all on the lower level and all departures use the old B gates.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Air Port - 02/28/2022 06:17 PM

We drive past the airport almost daily. There are lots of workers in the gutted part working, along with equipment in the driveway. So YES, it is being worked on.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Air Port - 02/28/2022 06:52 PM

When I left Thursday, there was work being done up above where the security screening is now. Sounded like a bunch of chipping hammers and it was quite loud.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Air Port - 02/28/2022 06:56 PM

Yes very much so.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Air Port - 03/01/2022 05:45 AM

There has been a lot of work done to the airport (PJIA) over the past 1 1/2 years.

In the first 2 years after Irma, The SXM Airport roof was fully replaced and reinforced an is now rated to withstand winds up to 185mph. This was completed by June 2019. Also in this time frame a lot was done internally and around the exterior to make the airport/terminal usable. They replaced the exterior fencing surrounding the majority of the airport. They cleared away tons of debris from within and outside the terminal and littering the airport grounds. They sealed the exterior of the terminal from the elements to prevent further damage. After Irma, the airport was totally unusable and I'm sure many on here can remember the different tents for arrival, departure and luggage.

Funding for the main reconstruction was held up by the Insurance company, but once that was settled the process took on a more accelerated pace.

Starting in November 2020, two major projects were started, The Sprinkler System Repair and the Mold Remediation and Waste Disposal. Completed April 2021

In June 2021 Funding was authorized for the full restoration of the terminal building. The funding is being provided by Sint Maarten Trust Fund(World Bank managed) and the European Investment Bank. SMTF is providing $72 million and the European Investment Bank is providing $50 million. In August 2021, an award was made to Ballast Nedam for reconstruction of the airport and after challenges and reviews their work went live in November 2021. Based upon the published timeline, the airport terminal should be fully completed in Q3 2023.

The picture shown above of the Jetway Pivot Point shows some of their progress. Just 2 months ago. the old jetways were still fully there on site, damaged and unusable.

Below are two charts that show what is proposed during reconstruction and upgrades are expected.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 12.39.37 AM.png

Description: PJIA - Reconstruction Activities
Attached picture Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 12.40.00 AM.png
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline