TravelTalkOnline

Anyone on island??

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:19 AM

Those of us who are not going again for a long time are looking for some tales from 'home'!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:50 AM

Yes. Been pretty quiet on here lately.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 01:05 AM

If the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, we should be there in 12 days.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 02:12 AM

🤞👍
Posted By: mahokid

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 11:20 AM

Three weeks for us until August 18 for 18 days (our longest stay to date)
Maybe interesting as will be entertaining a new couple to the island and staying in an awesome villa in the low lands. Massages and private chef (Franc formally of Le Pressoir)
Have a few new restaurants on the list along with the usual best on the island.
The first week line up includes La Villa, La Cottage, Le Pressoir 7 course tasting), Mario's, Le Hibiscus (expensive tasting, now located in formal Sole E Luna), Bisto Caribes

The remaining 10 days will be at Royal Islander and will include visits to restaurants in Puerto Coupecoy, Jai's contemporary Indian cuisine, Pineapple Petes, Jax and maybe a few wing it nights

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:06 PM

CaribLee--Looking forward to your trip!!

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:08 PM

mahokid--would love to see some pictures of that villa! And that sure sounds like an enviable lineup of restaurants! When we first started going to SXM, we could eat like that every night, but sadly, no longer! I will definitely be looking forward to doing it through you though!!
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:20 PM

Thanks Carol. We are looking forward to it as well.
Posted By: BarbyandLeo

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:36 PM

We arrive Tuesday for a month. circle

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:39 PM

Barby--Yay! Sounds like you have a lot of on-the-spot reporting to do! grin
Posted By: dolfer

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:52 PM

93 long days until our arrival. Ugh, too long.
Posted By: BarbyandLeo

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 12:55 PM

Carol…I’ll do my best! I’m hoping for a “relaxing” stay…with lots of beach days. My cousin is accompanying us and while she’s been to SXM before (briefly) doesn’t really know the island. She’s more of the AI Resort type…my aim is to change that!

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 02:09 PM

It's always nice to see the island through a newcomer's eyes! Enjoy!
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 05:34 PM

We have a 5:00 am flight tomorrow to the island. We are meeting our daughter and family and will be there for a month.

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/24/2022 05:55 PM

We did tour several villas on our last visit and found this one to be all it looked like on the computer. La Favorita
Originally we were looking in Orient Beach area but found nicer villas for the buck in the lowlands.

Only downside is a little longer drive to Grand Case and I sometimes dislike the drive through the crazy scooter hoodlums in Sandy Ground
We meet the housekeeper and felt very comfortable with her as she overlooks the villa.

Also interesting will be how our friends find SXM as they have been high end all inclusive ($1000 a day) in Jamaica for a long time

Asking for ideas and I know it is personal, but is appropriate gratuities for housekeeper and gardener / pool cleaner

We all worked in the tipping and tend to be on the generous side
Posted By: Jerry_R

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/25/2022 03:59 AM

Have a great time. Wish our timeline would allow us to get there & hang w/you 2. It was fun a couple of years ago. Daily pool check ups on escapades. Just had back surgery so will probably not make it for a while. Travel safely.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/25/2022 12:46 PM

Le Hibiscus......is it the same that used to be in Grand Case? Kind of away from most of the restaurants. We went there some of our first years on the istand and it was great.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/25/2022 06:49 PM

No. La Villa Hibiscus used to be at the top of Pic Paradis and is now in the old Sol e Luna space. La Villa (different entity) is still in Grand Case.
Posted By: sxmlizzy78

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/25/2022 09:13 PM

Think they may be asking about L’Hibiscus, which used to be in a creole house past restaurant row heading towards GCBC on the street side.

Was always one of my favorites!
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/25/2022 09:45 PM

Fingers crossed (because who knows with travel these days) but I will be at my parents house in Colombier, sitting on their veranda, by Saturday at 3pm smile

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/25/2022 11:12 PM

Best wishes, Angelface!! Enjoy!!!

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/26/2022 12:34 AM

Jerry,

Best wishes on your recovery. May you get better every day.
Staying 11 days at RI.

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/26/2022 12:44 AM

L' Hibiscus was the first restaurant we went to on our first stay on SXM.
We were bummed to find out that many restaurants which we had planned to visit were closed because of vacation (end of August) but luckily I had back ups.
I remember we did the tasting at L' Hibiscus and they added courses at the end until we were full.
Then they locked the doors and invited us into the kitchen for ice cream and fernet branca menta.
By the time we got back to Maho our bellies were very relaxed despite all the food we enjoyed.

Only remember one other restaurant that took over the space with a hand written menu on a chalk board. La Table or something like that
Posted By: lcote

Re: Anyone on island?? - 07/26/2022 12:51 PM

Mahokid is talking about the right L'Hibiscus. That place was wonderful!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline