TravelTalkOnline

Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin

Posted By: Wahnfried

Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 03:10 PM

Suggestions for restaurants, shops, places to visit or see that represent "The Real St. Martin ™" that locals frequent...
Posted By: pat

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 03:44 PM

IMHO, there is no longer much of an ‘authentic’ SXM specific area although interspersed everywhere are bits of the old island as we first came to know it in the early 70’s.
We were chatting yesterday about how very many restaurants we knew back then are no more in existence starting with all the great places that used to be at the original Mullet Bay Resort and the list goes on across both sides of the island. Some we miss are:
Le Pavillion
Zachary’s
LaGuna
Turtle Pier
DaLivios
Antoine’s
Paradise Cafe
Claude’s Mini Club
Maison Sur La Porte
La Vie en Rose
L’Escargot
and these are but a few. The list goes on and on and on but these were special in our memories…………

This is one island where locals and tourists really do intermingle although in the more residential areas you will find the occasional island hot spot. 🙂🙂
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 04:33 PM

Restaurants that I consider "local" (based on our being the only, or few, diners speaking English there) are Le Cool Heure, Fleur de Sel, Le Taitu, and Hercules. Also, Yvettes, but everyone speaks English there.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 07:00 PM

Pat is L'Escargot open again? When we were there in March they were working on the roof.
Posted By: erb923

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 07:04 PM

I guess the Lolo's would be considered local but also touristy.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Whale Tail
Pat is L'Escargot open again? When we were there in March they were working on the roof.

Not to the best of my knowledge but I will post on Wednesday evening if it is.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 08:02 PM

Pinel Island
Chesterfields
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 08:07 PM

Mark's Place.

Vesna Taverna.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 08:29 PM

Lee's
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/07/2023 08:52 PM

We
When we've had lunch at Chesterfields it seemed as if most of the clientele were local workers from the businesses in the area. Evening crowd seems a mix of locals and tourists, but always fun to see families and friends from the island getting together there.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/08/2023 02:15 PM

Great suggestions, everyone! If possible, I like to avoid places that cater *specifically* to tourists, because they usually result in something that I can easily get back home. I like to keep it as real and local as I can.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/08/2023 02:22 PM

For local places....Mark's Place. LaGoonies. Le String, especially on weekends. Chesterfields.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/08/2023 04:29 PM

Lal's Curry in a Hurry seems like mostly locals and very regular visitors, and have run in to island politicians and other noteworthy chefs from the island as well there. Gutside on the French Side, Friars Bay Beach Club has a very heavy local island crowd for lunch and one of our favorite places to spend a day on the beach.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/08/2023 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by cruzer
Restaurants that I consider "local" (based on our being the only, or few, diners speaking English there) are Le Cool Heure, Fleur de Sel, Le Taitu, and Hercules. Also, Yvettes, but everyone speaks English there.

I agree with these as well. How about also the Ital Shack?
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/08/2023 09:52 PM

Yvette's in Quartier D'Orleans has been there at least 30 years. Hate to admit it but we have never tried it. Love to hear from others who have.

Wahnfried, Anthony Bourdain's video is worth a watch in case you have not seen it. Most of the places are gone but it's entertaining. I'm sure all of the SXM veterans have seen it. Johnny B is still in the LoLo's next to the Simpson Bay Drawbridge. Gus's place on Baie Rouge is gone but Gus frequents the Perch on Orient once in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9SoWhmsSR4

Here is another fun video on SXM establishments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa-yqJ5iOKM
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 12:03 PM

Gutside is as local as you can get for Caribbean food. We love Richard's food and Lourdes is a wonderful host. Yvette's is a great local restaurant. We have eaten there 30+ times over the years.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 12:15 PM

No. The local family who owns the building for many years is refurbishing the building. They say it will not become a restaurant.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 12:22 PM

I'm writing all of these down!

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by pat
Originally Posted by Whale Tail

Not to the best of my knowledge but I will post on Wednesday evening if it is.

I was told yesterday L’Escargot is definitely closed and not reopening as same but no clue what it will become.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 01:57 PM

Elaine--sorry, which place are you talking about?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Elaine--sorry, which place are you talking about?

Her response is to Whale Tail's question regarding L'Escargot.
Posted By: kim

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 02:28 PM

Escargot building

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 02:59 PM

OK, thanks.
Posted By: KitKat

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 03:11 PM

We started coming down in the 90's, just before Louis hit the island. Our favorites were La Vie en Rose in Marigot for lunch, and Da Livios and Antoines for dinner -- miss them!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/09/2023 05:41 PM

And next to La Vie en Rose was La Messina , great too but cheaper than La Vie en Rose
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/11/2023 02:19 AM

What about O Plongeoir in Oyster Pond? Don’t know if that’s still there but it had a lovely Creole ambience.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/11/2023 04:52 PM

O Plongeoir is in Marigot facing Marina as I remember. 2 years ago it was still there.
Posted By: pandpfromcanada

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/11/2023 05:08 PM

It was very busy as we passed by lunch time on Thursday, so yes it is still there.
Posted By: erb923

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/11/2023 08:19 PM

Mostly French at O'Plongeoir, their wine list is on a giant magnum bottle of wine, pretty funny.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 11/12/2023 09:57 AM

One of our favorite places in Marigot was Bar De La Mar!!! I notice that no one mentioned Danny's in Cupecoy !!
Posted By: the captain

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/13/2024 03:46 PM

I'm digging this list!

Just to add, St. Martin's ribs should be on the list. WE have our rib culture stateside, but SXM's ribs are typically dry rub and on point. I'm still torn as to whether Rosie's ribs are better than Captain D's. And next visit, we have to assess Mark's Place ribs as well.

So like others, I never made it to Yvette/s b/c I couldn't find it. I'm hoping to hit it this time.
Gutside was good creole food worth trying but coming from a carribean upbringing, it wasn't our #1.

Resto Hercule was fantastic and it was specifically Haitian Creole food, which I love. This is the one that our entire clan can't wait to get back to.

One last place, not touristy but I'd say authentic as in one of a kind, is Little Jerusalem's Shwarma.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/13/2024 07:12 PM

captain--If you haven't been to Mark's Place, you should go. Regardless of whether you get ribs or whatever, it's all good!!
Posted By: CharlieAndElaine

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 11:34 AM

Mark’s is usually our first night meal since we stay very close to there. I keep saying that I’m going to try something different but I keep reverting back to the ribs!

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 11:38 AM

Hard to go wrong with anything from Mark's Place.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 03:16 PM

If you can manage to order something other than the ribs, do try their mussels - out of this world and reasonably priced for a huge pot. I think they get them fresh on Fridays (or not?) but we always check before venturing out.
Posted By: bonz1946

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 04:41 PM

Speaking of Yvettes, we contacted (through Facebook) them and they said they would be open for Valentines Day dinner! I thought they did not open to public as they wanted to reserve their restaurant for family and friends! When we tried to make a reservation for Feb 14, I have not heard back from them. Does anyone know why? Did they make a mistake in saying restaurant is open to public? We will probably reserve at another restaurant if we don't hear back soon. Thank you!!

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 05:54 PM

Thanks, it's been a while since we did Mark's Place but we will give it another go!

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 06:48 PM

Ribs are usually outstanding but the last time mine were dry and tough. Can't go wrong on the Mussels. I always sub the fries for pasta.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 09:06 PM

Are the mussels in a wine broth?

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 09:32 PM

More of a cream broth from what I recall. They are good and lots of them.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 10:10 PM

Hey J.D., you and the Captain both got it mostly right, their mussels are prepared in a white wine garlic sauce.

Description: Mark's Place - Mussels
Attached picture Screenshot_20240114-165903_kindlephoto-1253376178.png

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/14/2024 11:10 PM

Thank you. I knew it was mostly white with a hint of garlic.

Re: Real, authentic (not touristy) St. Martin - 01/15/2024 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by the captain
Are the mussels in a wine broth?

If you're asking about Mark's they are cooked in a very light white wine, cream and garlic broth.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline