TravelTalkOnline

water issues

Posted By: icycooler

water issues - 12/14/2023 11:44 PM

My daughter and her husband will be staying around orient village in January. Have the water issues improved? When we were there in April we ran out of water 5different times over a 10 day period. It was said to have been the result of construction. That was really a pain in the fanny. Anyone know anything?
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: water issues - 12/14/2023 11:54 PM

We just returned from spending two and a half weeks in orient village with no water issues. Hopefully they have things under control.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 12:36 AM

Could be a crap shoot. If I was giving advice I would tell them to stay on the Dutch side and visit Orient Village when they want to. I know I'll get flak for saying that but why take the chance with water outages.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 12:41 AM

I have seen some recent reports of no water, so I really don't think the issues have been resolved. If it were ME, booking a place on the French side right now, I would require an alternate source of water, OR I would make sure I could back out of a booking with no penalty, at any point.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 12:41 AM

I read somewhere that Saint Martin and Sint Maarten have signed an agreement to share water, so that may help in the future.

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 01:18 AM

I think the problem is also with the method of getting the water to the household's via the underground system. Dutch sharing water won't help that.
Posted By: Stevemech

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 10:50 AM

Our first day on the island staying in orient village we lost all water at about 6:00am. Locals said it was a water main break and about half the french side was without water. Think it lasted around 4 hours. Our property manager said when they repair one water main break they discover another immediately after they repair it when the water is turned back on. That was on Sunday December 3rd.

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 02:14 PM

Steve--are you still on island? Have you had any problems with water since the first day?
Posted By: jbutah

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 02:47 PM

We just booked for May in Orient Village and got a villa with a cistern. All of the places with cisterns advertise that now. There were plenty of options.

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 03:15 PM

OK, good to know. And it is smart advertising for folks to do that.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 05:03 PM

Very good information for potential bookers .

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 05:42 PM

It's good that they recognize there is a water issue of the French side.
Posted By: icycooler

Re: water issues - 12/15/2023 11:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info. Since they already have a villa booked I will tell them that the first thing to do when they get there is to fill a bucket full of water. Just in case.

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 12:23 AM

We were still in orient village on Dec 3 and did not have any water outages. I know people are concerned about this problem,but people commenting without actual knowledge is a disservice. I will book our spring trip in orient village without worrying about the water.

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 01:22 AM

No Carol, we departed on Saturday December 9th. Sunday the 3rd was the only day we had a problem with lack of water.

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 01:32 AM

Bob we were at a VRBO rental inside the Palm Court hotel on Sunday the 3rd. Met our property manager outside the door at about 8:00am. She immediately called a friend of hers who also lives in Orient Village and she also confirmed the lack of water and had knowledge of the water main break.
Our past trip last year in November we also had water shut off for a couple of days. This information was made available to us in advance from the property manager from the french utility company. It was a scheduled water outage for repairs. She provided us with plenty of water jugs to fill the toilet if needed. The pipes on the french side are in poor condition.

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 01:43 AM

Steve--OK, good, that was your only problem.

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by bostonbob
We were still in orient village on Dec 3 and did not have any water outages. I know people are concerned about this problem,but people commenting without actual knowledge is a disservice. I will book our spring trip in orient village without worrying about the water.

Not sure who that is aimed at, but the problems with water on the French side are very well documented. Glad you are not concerned, but I personally would be very concerned with it.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 02:15 AM

Part of this problem will be resolved soon with the help of the Dutch side .

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 04:22 PM

"Part of this problem will be resolved soon with the help of the Dutch side ."
What are they planning to do to help?

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 08:10 PM

Steve I was not doubting what you said…you were actually there and experienced the problem. I was referring specifically to someone who doesn’t stay in orient but always has an opinion. We were there on Dec 3 and were fortunate that we didn’t have a problem. Our villa was on the opposite side of the restaurants across from the entrance to Alamanda. Sorry I wasn’t clear in the first place.

Re: water issues - 12/16/2023 10:16 PM

Probably referring to me but I don't need to stay in Orient to know what has been reported numerous times on both here and other Facebook forums about the frequent water issues there.

Re: water issues - 12/17/2023 03:10 AM

No worries Bob. The water issues have never deterred us from staying in Orient Village either.
Posted By: cipher77

Re: water issues - 12/23/2023 06:09 PM

hi, all!

looking into a last minute stay over the holiday.
we've been to the island a handful of times over the years.

have the option of a stay on either side.
how severe, unpredictable, has the water issue been?

we're bringing along our young kids and the water issue would make for a big dent to the holiday.

terres basse (french side) vs cupecoy (dutch side)

thoughts regarding reliability of water on either side or either part of the island?

thanks in adavance!
cheers

Re: water issues - 12/23/2023 09:30 PM

If you're concerned about the water issues then opt for the Dutch side as it's less likely to be a problem on that side.

Re: water issues - 12/24/2023 02:42 AM

thanks for that - greatly appreciated.
i think that was going to be the plan.

however, i was hoping someone might chime with a recent anecdote or two.
if anyone cares to share, i would look fwd to it

happy holidays, all.

cheers
Posted By: cruzer

Re: water issues - 12/24/2023 10:48 AM

Grand Case Beach Club makes its own fresh water--up to 15,000 gallons per day.

Re: water issues - 12/24/2023 04:14 PM

oooh, interesting to note! thanks for the insight!!!
cubaman, havana is awesome, btw!
Posted By: fritzks

Re: water issues - 01/01/2024 09:45 PM

Staying at Sun Caribes in Orient. No water from about 8AM until 11AM today, New Year's Day.

Re: water issues - 01/01/2024 11:27 PM

Hopefully that will be your last problem for your trip.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline