TravelTalkOnline

Departure experience

Posted By: Alltech63

Departure experience - 12/30/2023 05:05 PM

So we left yesterday flying on AA to CLT once again I was pleasantly surprised how easy and quick it was.
We did not have to check any bags and I was able to use mobile boarding passes with no problems thru security.
I also liked the new scanners at security you did not need to take out anything and could leave it all in backpack or carryon.
Only shoes had to be taken off. We used the electronic gate thru immgration after baggage scan very quick. I think the entire process was maybe 10 to 15 minutes until we reached sitting area.
AA for this flight had a jet bridge A3 so no shuttle bus so once again we got lucked out. Arrived around 1235 for a 1533 flight and we boarded around 1450 and made it to CLT around 1840.
No connection because we have about an 90 minute drive to be home. Thanks to everyone here for their input and suggestions all were very inciteful and helpful.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Departure experience - 12/30/2023 05:28 PM

You mentioned "customs". Wasn't aware there was customs for departures at PJIA.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Departure experience - 12/30/2023 05:36 PM

There is no customs on departure, but for some reason, people confuse emigration on departure, and immigration on arrival, with customs.

Re: Departure experience - 12/30/2023 05:40 PM

That's what I figured the OP meant. Customs is when you first land in the US for US customs.

Re: Departure experience - 12/30/2023 05:40 PM

Ok you got me I'm confused it was where I used the Egate by inserting passport and was the last step before entering departure area.
Thanks for the peer check
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Departure experience - 12/30/2023 08:19 PM

OK, glad it went well.
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Departure experience - 12/30/2023 09:28 PM

Glad that things went smoothly for you. We had the same experience early December except for the jet bridge. We waited about twenty minutes on the tarmac to board. Hopefully we will have a jet bridge in April. We also fly from car and have a ninety minute drive home. We cleared immigration/customs in about five minutes in clt with global entry.

Re: Departure experience - 12/31/2023 12:38 AM

Global entry is nice and the improvements of the process have made it even easier with the facial scan now in place at CLT.
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: Departure experience - 12/31/2023 01:00 AM

Amen
Posted By: fritzks

Re: Departure experience - 01/01/2024 10:04 PM

Before deplaning yesterday on our arrival flight, the Delta agent came on the PA and warned us to arrive 4 hours before our departure flight. I couldn't believe what I heard and asked. She said yes that was true, that they are having a lot of issues with personnel in Security. Asked at car rental and they said an hour to an hour and before boarding would be fine.

BTW, the airport has taken a giant step backwards on arrival. 1 1/2 hours to get off plane, passport control and to retreave our bags. Zoo at the baggage carousel. 4 major flights arrived at the same time and on a Saturday to boot.

Re: Departure experience - 01/01/2024 11:43 PM

On an international flight the minimum time to check a bag i believe is 1 hour so take that into consideration on your departure day.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Departure experience - 01/08/2024 07:51 PM

Speaking of customs, having flown into JFK from SXM, TLV, CDG and YUL (into LGA) the past 12 months, is it me or is customs non-existent? I don't see blue forms being handed out anymore and no one asking things to declare, etc.

I know YUL allowed customs clearance before leaving Canada.

Whats the story w customs nowadays?
How is customs at CLT?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Departure experience - 01/09/2024 12:48 AM

We have global entry, and customs in CLT is pretty much nothing. No forms, just "anything to declare?" Not sure if it's the same in the regular lines.

Re: Departure experience - 01/09/2024 01:50 AM

That's the way it's been in MIA with GE too.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline