TravelTalkOnline

Karakter

Posted By: MotownTim

Karakter - 01/09/2024 04:04 PM

Maybe I missed it but has anyone been to the new Karakter and if so any impressions. Did they go up scale? Or are they even open?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 04:17 PM

They are open, and posting some pretty good looking food photos on their Facebook page.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 04:31 PM

What is there facebook page? Thanks.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 04:44 PM

LINK - Karakter now K
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 04:45 PM

K - sxm Facebook page below

K - Facebook page link

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 04:58 PM

Looks like upscale French food.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 05:54 PM

Tim--where are you seeing the menu? The menu I'm seeing kind of looks the same as it was.

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 06:41 PM

The current menu for K (karakter) is shown below.

Description: Menu for K
Attached picture Menu for K at sxm.jpg
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 06:47 PM

Too spendy for me to want to go there for a beach day and lunch. 22 for a cheese burger and 26 for a club. WTH? Orange Fever here I come.
Posted By: CaribbeanCanadians

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 06:51 PM

I agree, too expensive for me. I'd rather go to Mary's Boon next door, cheaper.

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 07:12 PM

I really hate Facebook pages. I don't see that menu there anywhere.

But, not to bring up a sore subject, but it says "All prices are service charge included. Tips at your convenience" What the heck does that mean?
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 07:39 PM

In fear of more people going and losing my favorite beach spot at Marys Boon I agree, and more and more have discovered it too. Lots of new things going on, I think they a real good mix of cooks and Chefs now and over all great staff. Nice menu , fair prices better than most and the food portions are very good. All of the fish dishes they have is good but they have about everything is good. My husband loves their Tuna Tartar. Plus the overall property is just a treat to walk into. Service charge included but you can TIP??!! Huh? We are not going to pay crazy prices so I am hoping more stay at Karakter.

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 07:40 PM

That menu is not on their Facebook page but was sent to me earlier today by the manager.

I would think that it means that they are trying to copy the French side and including all service charges/fees in the cost of your meals. If you so desire to leave a little something extra than that is at your discretion.

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 07:51 PM

That will work as long as the servers don't pressure you for that "something extra".
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 08:27 PM

Thank you.

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 08:53 PM

That's interesting, if in fact that's what they do, as compared to servers begging for more. That would be refreshing.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 09:10 PM

I like the menu idea of inclusion of the service like the French side in theory does. Kudos to them and it is clearly printed on the menu. I also like that it seems to be up a notch from what it was, it needed to be up a notch or three. How some of you figure what a menu item is worth is beyond me, very short sighted in my as you know not so humble opinion. Sure there is some place I am sure you can get a $9.99 dollar steak, but I would rather have a good steak and pay the extra. Ribs, burgers, and most food has different quality levels. Even the inexpensive burgers are in the $12 - $15 plus range by the time you add fries or anything. I did think that Krave has a good burger in the lower cost range, felt it was the winner if compared to Tap and Still or The Burger Bar but those were also good. On our last trip I had a burger that was $22 that was fantastic at the Palms, homemade bun and Greg grinds his own burgers. I also had a burger that we close to $30 at LTC which also was fantastic. Very different levels of burger and I am ok with all the price points. Not one of those did I feel I did not get what I paid for.

I have yet to hear one complaint about K's service charge or any issues regarding asking for more, so I would suggest not assuming they would do otherwise. That is not fair to the establishment and their staff. I would add that this happens on the French side as well.

Foreversxm, wow we did not realize that you like Marys Boon! Is there any other place on your liked list?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Karakter - 01/09/2024 09:24 PM

It kinda makes sense to add the service charge (no amount mentioned) to the prices on the Dutch side. Some will not see that it was added and add an additional 18-20%. I guess eventually THAT will be the standard and those who do not add a tip to the bill will be addressed by the staff.....but...time will tell

I have no issue adding an additional 5% if the service was fine

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by boucharda
It kinda makes sense to add the service charge (no amount mentioned) to the prices on the Dutch side. Some will not see that it was added and add an additional 18-20%. I guess eventually THAT will be the standard and those who do not add a tip to the bill will be addressed by the staff.....but...time will tell

I have no issue adding an additional 5% if the service was fine

Exactly as I see it being treated.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I really hate Facebook pages. I don't see that menu there anywhere.

But, not to bring up a sore subject, but it says "All prices are service charge included. Tips at your convenience" What the heck does that mean?

Carol I clicked on the sunset photo of the place then used the arrow to go thru their photos until menu came up in a blue circle.

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 02:21 PM

Rondon--I can't really follow what you mean. I bumped around and found a menu somewhere, but it wasn't the one that bdeeley posted. I just don't understand why FB pages for restaurants generally don't have a link for their menu. Makes no sense.

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 03:37 PM

[quote=Todd]I like the menu idea of inclusion of the service like the French side in theory does. Kudos to them and it is clearly printed on the menu. I also like that it seems to be up a notch from what it was, it needed to be up a notch or three. How some of you figure what a menu item is worth is beyond me, very short sighted in my as you know not so humble opinion. Sure there is some place I am sure you can get a $9.99 dollar steak, but I would rather have a good steak and pay the extra. Ribs, burgers, and most food has different quality levels. Even the inexpensive burgers are in the $12 - $15 plus range by the time you add fries or anything. I did think that Krave has a good burger in the lower cost range, felt it was the winner if compared to Tap and Still or The Burger Bar but those were also good. On our last trip I had a burger that was $22 that was fantastic at the Palms, homemade bun and Greg grinds his own burgers. I also had a burger that we close to $30 at LTC which also was fantastic. Very different levels of burger and I am ok with all the price points. Not one of those did I feel I did not get what I paid for.

I have yet to hear one complaint about K's service charge or any issues regarding asking for more, so I would suggest not assuming they would do otherwise. That is not fair to the establishment and their staff. I would add that this happens on the French side as well.

Foreversxm, wow we did not realize that you like Marys Boon! Is there any other place on your liked list? [/quo

I see a lot of people repeating their favorites here over and over but I assume some new people do read this site as well. Just wish it had not become so popular but yes The Boone is our favorite on Simpson Bay but I have said Buccaneers can be good too and couple favs on Orient. Karve in town and definitely The Palm. Greg and Jo an amazing job. Oh that Pollo chicken brothers place good to on a budget night.

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by foreversxm

I see a lot of people repeating their favorites here over and over but I assume some new people do read this site as well. Just wish it had not become so popular but yes The Boone is our favorite on Simpson Bay but I have said Buccaneers can be good too and couple favs on Orient. Karve in town and definitely The Palm. Greg and Jo an amazing job. Oh that Pollo chicken brothers place good to on a budget night.

I just hope that any newbies who read your posts have a good decoder ring. It's Mary's Boon, Krave, and The Palms. BTW, I agree with you about Krave and The Palms; both are excellent.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 04:13 PM

Carol,
That is an easy answer. Facebook does not require a website developer to put the menu on their website. So many businesses only update their facebook pages instead of having a real working website. As a website developer, I suppose I understand. They don't want to pay the money. But I hate trying to find stuff on Facebook.

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 05:05 PM

lcote--The primary reason I go to a website for a restaurant is to find the menu. I could be wrong, often am, but I would think many or most other people are the same. FB pages are easy for the business, I guess, but for many, there seems to be zero organization of info on them. And you're right, many businesses use them because they are too cheap to pay to keep their real website updated, if they even have one.

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 06:16 PM

Carol, EXACTLY. I want to go to a website, find Menu and be able to look at it. I don't want to go looking all over social media to find it.
Bu then again, I am a web developer. So, I guess I am biased.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 07:48 PM

Im a chump, so please do bear with me. wink

Whats there to do at Marys Boon and karakters besides eat?

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by the captain
Im a chump, so please do bear with me. wink

Whats there to do at Marys Boon and karakters besides eat?

Let sand gravity take hold.

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 08:57 PM

Exactly....it's a beach...with chairs, food and drink...

Re: Karakter - 01/10/2024 09:23 PM

Many Facebook pages have a link to their website, which usually includes their menu.
Posted By: jon

Re: Karakter - 01/11/2024 02:01 AM

Was a little disappointed that they didn’t have the usual New Year’s Day festivities. Does anyone know if that has been relocated or if it is just no more?

Re: Karakter - 01/11/2024 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by jon
Was a little disappointed that they didn’t have the usual New Year’s Day festivities. Does anyone know if that has been relocated or if it is just no more?

Doubt you will see that anymore there on New Years Day. That is a Dutch thing and the new owners are very French , menu, food , wines, prices , staff, etc.

Re: Karakter - 01/12/2024 02:48 PM

I think the new “K” is like the new Coco Beach, Kalatua and Indigo Beach. Not every day beach destinations but occasionally when you want something special. I’ll have to check it out.
Posted By: billy3

Re: Karakter - 01/12/2024 09:02 PM

I was there for lunch yesterday. The menu specifically states that the service is built into the pricing and tipping is in keeping with that. They are trying to get a French vibe. So the 22 dollar cheese burger is really 17 nor 18 with a 20% tip. I gave another 15% for great service.

Re: Karakter - 01/12/2024 09:04 PM

billy--I'm sure the service was good, but no way I'm tipping 35%.

Re: Karakter - 01/12/2024 09:15 PM

I think THAT's exactly what they want to happen...tipping normally on a bill with the SC included....perfect example...$18 cheesburger becomes a $25 item
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Karakter - 01/12/2024 09:43 PM

I guess they feel people will be fooled by this.
It's whatever you feel comfortable with.....

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 01:54 AM

Ladies and gentlemen get used to the 15% service charge on the Dutch side and tip accordingly.

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 01:59 AM

Tim--I think your post kind of doesn't address the current drift of this thread.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 02:52 AM

I disagree, it hits the heart of it. Tips being included either stated on the menu like K or a line item.

The speculation of what the intent is of their policy is in my opinion wrong, and to assume is unfounded and unfair. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty, or benefit of the doubt?

Be educated about tipping policy, pay attention, pretty simple.

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 01:57 PM

Todd--whether it's improper to attribute bad motives to someone up front is another question, but I think the question is a valid one. It's different in policy when there is a line item for service charge on the bill. That's what I meant when I said that Tim wasn't addressing the current issue. I personally don't particularly like it, but I see that specific charge and I just move on and don't leave any more. When there's no line item for it, unless you examine the menu closely, you just 'assume' that you still need to leave your regular 15-20% on top. When you say, be educated about tipping policy, it gets real confusing when you have a french side policy being used on the Dutch side. Billy said that he knew that tips were included and he still tipped 15% on TOP of that. I would never do that in a million years. But I think there will be many folks who just don't pay attention and will tip their normal rate, on top of the bill. We will see how it shakes out in real life. ESPECIALLY how the servers handle it. We all know that servers now have often told customers that the specific 15% on the bill doesn't go to them, and question why people are not leaving any tip for the server.
Posted By: billy3

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 03:33 PM

The menu page lays out their policy. I overtipped because because of ingrained habits. I and all of you must be smarter tippers.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 03:34 PM

Is sand gravity like quicksand? pepsi

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 06:02 PM

I’ve been going to the Driftwood for years and always tipped 20%. I was doing the same last year until I heard one of the bartenders ask a customer if he wanted to add a tip and he said no it was already included. Included! What! I checked out the menu and there it was, a 15% service charge will be added to your bill. I was wondering when did they add that and for how long have I been paying 20% on top of the 15%. I hadn’t really looked at a menu for a long time because I always knew what I wanted. No wonder the bartenders were always happy to see me. So you really have to check the menu or bill carefully now even at places you have been going to for years.

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MotownTim
. So you really have to check the menu or bill carefully now even at places you have been going to for years.

Tim--So, was there a line item of 15% on the bill? We haven't been to Driftwood for years, just haven't gone, for whatever reason.

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 08:51 PM

When there's no line item for it, unless you examine the menu closely, you just 'assume' that you still need to leave your regular 15-20% on top

Exactly
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 09:51 PM

I go to Driftwood often. I know the past couple of years the 15% service charge was always shown on my bill.

Re: Karakter - 01/13/2024 10:25 PM

Yes. It was probably there. I just wasn’t paying attention. That’s my point.

Re: Karakter - 01/14/2024 12:59 AM

Tim--OK
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Karakter - 02/01/2024 09:25 AM

They must think this is St. Barths!!! No thank you! Drinks must not be to far behind with those prices!!!

Re: Karakter - 02/01/2024 01:21 PM

This is the problem with paying the waitstaff a fair wage and only tipping for extraordinary service. People see the prices and think OMG! I won't pay that! When in fact, they probably ARE paying that after adding in a tip.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Karakter - 02/01/2024 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by lcote
This is the problem with paying the waitstaff a fair wage and only tipping for extraordinary service. People see the prices and think OMG! I won't pay that! When in fact, they probably ARE paying that after adding in a tip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

If I have an extrodinary meal with excellent service I often double the tip.
After spending thousands to get and stay there not going to worry about who's making what off of me.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline