TravelTalkOnline

Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent

Posted By: Fred

Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 12/31/2013 01:04 AM

Anybody heard any rumors regarding the opening of the new airport (Argyle) in St. Vincent? The airport website doesn't have any current information so I thought I would check the local hearsay. Also, any ideas which airlines may be flying there from the US?
I want to go back and charter there in the fall, but it normally requires an overnight stay en route for me. It would be nice to fly direct from a US gateway.
Fred
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 12/31/2013 01:24 PM

Here is an article from the Caribbean Journal about the airport, scheduled to open the end of 2014. Based on the article no airline is committing yet.

Airport Article
Posted By: saildoggie

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/01/2014 06:08 PM

Going down late June and stopping in Barbados, short flight to St. Vincent from there.
We have 2 cats out of Barefoot Yacht Charters, for 12 days, want to join us?
Posted By: rhans

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/01/2014 08:59 PM

Fred said:
Anybody heard any rumors regarding the opening of the new airport (Argyle) in St. Vincent? The airport website doesn't have any current information so I thought I would check the local hearsay. Also, any ideas which airlines may be flying there from the US?
I want to go back and charter there in the fall, but it normally requires an overnight stay en route for me. It would be nice to fly direct from a US gateway.
Fred

Maybe Seth from Barefoot will contribute to this. There isn't much going on around SVG that he's not aware of.
Posted By: Fred

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/01/2014 11:28 PM

rhans said:
Fred said:
Fred

Maybe Seth from Barefoot will contribute to this. There isn't much going on around SVG that he's not aware of.

Exactly and Seth is the one I hoped would provide the latest scuttlebutt - especially since Barefoot is where I want to go in November.
Fred

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/02/2014 01:10 AM

They may be experiencing communication issues right now, the Cyclone really made a mess and many lost their lives.

There was a lot of intense flooding and major damage.
Posted By: rhans

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/02/2014 02:44 PM

saildoggie said:
They may be experiencing communication issues right now, the Cyclone really made a mess and many lost their lives.

There was a lot of intense flooding and major damage.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I just checked some of the reports, what a mess. These are really great people and my thoughts are with them.
Posted By: Seth

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/02/2014 03:47 PM

Thanks all. Getting back to normal but it was fairly unpleasant.

OK .... airport! It's going astonishingly well. The terminal building is essentially finished and the runway is being laid. It looks as though it could well open towards the end of this year, but I guess one has to factor in unanticipated delays for one reason or another ....I think we'll have a much better idea within the next 3 to 4 months.

But, obviously, it's going to change the face of SVG and make it a hell of a lot easier and less expensive for folks to get here, so the benefit, trickling all the way down to the street coconut seller, will be enormous for this country.

Re: Any Word Re: New Airport Opening in St. Vincent - 01/02/2014 08:35 PM

Wow, wonder if we could get a direct flight, that would make our travel itinerary so much easier late June.

Glad things are getting back to normal Seth, sorry to hear about all those that did not survive the storm and all the damage.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline