TravelTalkOnline

Customs/Immigration

Posted By: GloluvsBVI

Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 12:48 AM

Can someone refresh my memory .... do you pay a customs/immigration fee when checking into the BVI's from the US? I know you pay a tax when you leave but I can't remember when entering. Thanks!
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 12:54 AM

Are you coming in on a charter boat or a ferry. If a ferry, there's no fee.
Posted By: GloluvsBVI

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 01:12 AM

Thank you. I didn't think so but wanted to confirm. We are coming in either by ferry or by private water taxi from STT. Thanks, again.
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 02:35 AM

Water taxis all seem to charge some sort of "clearance fee" which goes in their pocket.
Posted By: Sugaree

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 02:39 PM

HillsideView said:
Water taxis all seem to charge some sort of "clearance fee" which goes in their pocket.

Actually, since this has been stated over and over, I paid close attention this time when we made our trip via water taxi. The captain did indeed go pay someone at Customs & Immigration at West End when he presented his paperwork. Now, how much he paid I do not actually know. But there was a financial transaction that took place with the cash we had handed him, so something is being collected by C&I from the water taxi operators.
Posted By: HillsideView

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 02:51 PM

I'd like to find out exactly what the deal is myself. Not that I use water taxis very often, but I have heard various stories from many folks, and generally with a different amount for the fees each time.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 03:15 PM

GloluvsBVI said:
Can someone refresh my memory .... do you pay a customs/immigration fee when checking into the BVI's from the US? I know you pay a tax when you leave but I can't remember when entering. Thanks!

For simplicity we check in and out of the BVI at the same time. The last time we did this, one week in the BVI, on a 40-foot cat with 8 people it cost $400.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/22/2016 05:05 PM

All of that is such a shame. Each day there is more and more evidence that the USVI and BVI think the other is the threat, competition, or enemy. Reality there are a 1,000 other tourist options in every direction on the compass that are the threat to the Tortola and St. Thomas coffers. Any additional hassle with the free flow of tourism and business between the islands is very short sided. Imagine if Florida started harassing even slowing down obvious tourists at the border.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 11:57 AM

I suspect you have not vacationed in Florida lately. The taxes will astound you as a tourist!
G
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 04:09 PM

Florida has the tightest maritime laws in the country. In Miami, Marine Patrol is everywhere.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 05:28 PM

Florida maritime police are worse then the Gastapo.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 05:30 PM

sail2wind said:
Florida has the tightest maritime laws in the country. In Miami, Marine Patrol is everywhere.

They're all over the Keys, too.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 05:59 PM

HillsideView said:
I'd like to find out exactly what the deal is myself. Not that I use water taxis very often, but I have heard various stories from many folks, and generally with a different amount for the fees each time.

This is a pretty good explanation of what they charge and why.

Dolphin Fees

International Processing Fees

BVI international processing fees are $40 per person each way are are not included in our posted rates.

We often get questions about the "international processing fees" we charge here at Dolphin for guests travelling to and from the BVI. The most often asked question is, "Do we have to pay this if we take the public ferry?" The answer is, "yes, but not as much". Fees for visitors using the public ferry system travelling inbound are built into the ticket price, and going outbound have to be paid at the customs house prior to boarding the ferry. This "departure tax" is currently $25 per person. This fee went up in the Summer of 2014 by another $5 for non-residents only.

All private operators have to be different fees than the public ferry each time they enter and exit. These fees vary from company to company but the most normal amounts they charge international passengers is between $35pp and $45pp.

It is most important to note that the 'actual' inbound and outbound charges do not exactly equate to the $40pp that we charge. There are many variables affecting how much of a cost Dolphin Water Taxi actually incurs bringing 1 person into the BVI. The rates we are charged for each person we bring trough the customs house in the BVI and for each boat vary depending on the day or the week, time of day, (holidays and weekends are more). There is also an expense of clearing the boat in empty for pickups, which we must do before coming to get anyone, and clearing the boat empty back into the US in the event of BVI drop-offs. Lastly, there is a per person administrative cost in the completion of the US Customs and Border Protection Notice of Arrival and Departure. Its a labor intensive form that is contracted out and must be completed for each of our international boat runs prior to its voyage.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 06:11 PM

When I lived in South Fla I used to take my Hobie 16 out to the reef and sail while a friend dove for lobsters..at least half the time the Maritime Cops would stop us on the way back and check for 6 inch tails..never caught us!
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 10:12 PM

tradewinds said:
sail2wind said:

Try New York Harbor. By far the most secure harbor I have ever been in.

Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Customs/Immigration - 01/23/2016 10:29 PM

Miami is also enforcing no drinking by the skipper. Enough to keep me out of Miami waters.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline