TravelTalkOnline

Am I..

Posted By: Manpot

Am I.. - 10/04/2017 03:10 PM

..the only who holds his breath every morning as I go on the Nat Hurricane Center site and pray I wont see any yellow crosses coming off the coast of Africa????
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Am I.. - 10/04/2017 03:18 PM

Nope, not the only one. As we work though stabilization and protection of the properties on Jost, and eventually rebuild, that horror of it happening again makes me stop breathing momentarily..... <---holy run on sentence!
Posted By: SailorSteve

Re: Am I.. - 10/04/2017 03:20 PM

No your not Mal
I'm planning on sailing down the east coast next week and worry more than usual about weather.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Am I.. - 10/04/2017 03:38 PM

Manpot said:
..the only who holds his breath every morning as I go on the Nat Hurricane Center site and pray I wont see any yellow crosses coming off the coast of Africa????

The African hurricane spawning area should be just about finished for this year. Most of the October storms form in the western Caribbean and head north toward Cuba and the Gulf of Mexico (sort of like the one forming now!). This one (soon to be named Nate) is forecast to become a minimal hurricane and affect the Florida panhandle Sunday.
Posted By: mmk

Re: Am I.. - 10/04/2017 11:32 PM

Not alone. We constantly check the NHC website. Remember Lenny, mid November of '99 did a fair amount of damage on SXM and Anquilla. It seemed to stall over the two islands, lots of rain so roads were in bad shape and some buildings were damaged. We had booked a 5 bed/bath villa on Anguilla for three weeks at Christmas which had roof and water damage. Luckily our agent was able to book another one for the same time frame.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Am I.. - 10/05/2017 01:09 AM

We were on Tortola for our vacation when Lenny hit. We were on the beach front cabins on Long Bay. We were stuck in our room for 6 days. Our rental car never moved from the parking lot. The worst part was the staff. They did not know anything and were no help to us. When we asked a man on staff about storm surge (we were on the beach) he said "we don't have storm surge here!" Our worst vacation ever although we had been back to BVI 7 more times. We love it, and now seeing all the destruction from Irma makes my heart break. Lenny was nothing compared to this. God bless the BVI.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Am I.. - 10/05/2017 12:39 PM

We have a local meteorologist here, Denis Phillips, whose FB page I now check daily and he is always spot on about the latest....which today happens to be Nate...not scheduled to be a threat to Florida but Louisiana needs to pay close attention....
Posted By: Ragtime

Re: Am I.. - 10/05/2017 01:39 PM

Ahh, remember our old BVI weatherman David Jones: Whether you do or whether you don't, often depends on the weather!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline