TravelTalkOnline

Chartering in BVI vs out of St. martin

Posted By: harleybuffett

Chartering in BVI vs out of St. martin - 01/19/2019 07:34 PM

Good afternoon, I posted this on SXM forum but didn't have any luck, so I thought I'd try here...or maybe they're just stupid questions smile We've chartered in the BVI a few times and now might want to try out of St. Martin. I've researched some but am wondering about grocery/alcohol prices and cruising taxes, etc... Way more expensive there or about the same? Thank you in advance for any information!
Posted By: CestLaVie

Re: Chartering in BVI vs out of St. martin - 01/19/2019 10:44 PM

We have chartered BVI eight times and are headed back there next week. Eight days to wheels up and anchor down, but who is counting?

We elected to move to St. Marteen, St. Bart, Anguilla several years ago. We thoroughly enjoyed the diversion. The passages between islands is a blt longer than in the BVI, but all still line of sight and manageable times from one island to another. The wave action is also a bit heavier than in the Drake Channel, but again, not overly challenging. I must admit that we enjoyed St Barts and Anguilla more than St Martin, but none were disappointing. The beaches in St Barts and Anguilla were spectacular. The biggest PITA in the St. Marteen/St Barts/Anguilla circuit is the requirement to clear from one island and check in to the nest, as one is French, one is Dutch and the other is a British possession. Again, not a game changer, but you just need to be prepared for the bureaucratic process in clearing in/out and the fees associated with that process. Bottom line, we had no regrets about switching cruising areas but we are spoiled the ease of sailing BVI. As always, high calorie junk food for thought.
Posted By: harleybuffett

Re: Chartering in BVI vs out of St. martin - 01/21/2019 06:59 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Chartering in BVI vs out of St. martin - 01/21/2019 07:36 PM

Love St Barth's..fond of Anguilla..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline