TravelTalkOnline

Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda

Posted By: tpcook

Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/21/2020 09:35 PM

I and Pam will be self-isolating at our villa on Virgin Gorda for the duration of the Virus.
It is very quiet on the island., most tourists are gone. No entry for folks unless they are local.
The economy of the island will go downhill fast as all resorts are closed. Most villas are empty.
So far no cases on the island.
Obviously this will be a tough time for lots of folks worldwide.
The villa is about 1-2 weeks from completely being rebuilt. No rush now.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/22/2020 03:38 PM

I have several workers from Trinidad at the villa who can no longer go home (border completely closed). We will finish the villa at a slower rate. Just spoke to my daughter who was in Vero Beach, Florida. Stores are totally out of paper products of any kind. Food is limited. USA coming to a standstill.Beaches are closed due to stupid spring brakers.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/22/2020 04:12 PM

Sadly the governor in Florida bowed to commercial pressure and waited far to long to close the beaches.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/22/2020 04:50 PM

Agree - In Canada we have almost 1 million spring break travelers who are coming back this weekend (skiers, sun seekers, snowbirds) - states of emergency in most provinces and cities - $1,000 per day fine if found outside and not socially distancing when they return. All business closed except some bank branches, pharmacies and grocery stores - fine of 10,000 per day for any other businesses caught open (restaurants take out or pick up only). No travel allowed to any Northern communities - same as many in Alaska.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/22/2020 05:30 PM

Depends on where you are, I suppose. We went to two grocery stores yesterday. One was out of almost everything, and the other was FULLY stocked with food, except for eggs. As far as paper products, I bought some paper towels yesterday and Kleenexes today. Toilet paper is totally out everywhere..
Posted By: knitsoftwear

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/22/2020 06:57 PM

We had trouble finding any chicken except wings, but they had steaks (and all kinds of beef) up the wazoo
Posted By: Pineapple

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/22/2020 08:52 PM

As of 11:50 p.m. tonight BVI borders are closed to ANYONE, including, islanders, residents, belongers, work permit holders....ANYONE. As per BVI Governor and Premier Fahie.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/23/2020 12:06 AM

Yes, it seems many are in panic mode, but we went to our local Aldi's in Va Beach and found that had the usual produce and everything else. They were a little short on chicken. but they had toilet paper!
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/23/2020 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tpcook
I and Pam will be self-isolating at our villa on Virgin Gorda for the duration of the Virus.
It is very quiet on the island., most tourists are gone. No entry for folks unless they are local.
The economy of the island will go downhill fast as all resorts are closed. Most villas are empty.
So far no cases on the island.
Obviously this will be a tough time for lots of folks worldwide.
The villa is about 1-2 weeks from completely being rebuilt. No rush now.

Spring Bay was pretty epic yesterday just saying.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/23/2020 01:37 PM

I find it interesting that the BVI is now the ONLY island in the Caribbean chain with no reported COVID-19 (Dominica reported their first case today). Is this because the BVI is so incredibly good at isolating themselves or could it be that there is little or no testing being done and hence no positives? I wish it were the former.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/23/2020 02:04 PM

Probably no testing being done. That's the way it was for a long time in West Virginia..
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/23/2020 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
I find it interesting that the BVI is now the ONLY island in the Caribbean chain with no reported COVID-19 (Dominica reported their first case today). Is this because the BVI is so incredibly good at isolating themselves or could it be that there is little or no testing being done and hence no positives? I wish it were the former.

Definitely was not because we were so good at isolating. Still had cruise ships docking, no temperature testing be done at the airports, etc....
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Self-Isolating on Virgin Gorda - 03/23/2020 03:44 PM

[/quote]Spring Bay was pretty epic yesterday just saying. [/quote]

?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline