TravelTalkOnline

Getting tested in the BVI?

Posted By: bernk

Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/14/2021 09:43 PM

Hi all.

My partner, friends, and I have long been looking forward to our first trip to the BVI (and first bareboat charter). Things are finally starting to look up, but some things remain unknown to me. For example, as it stands Canada has this requirement:
To be allowed to board a flight to Canada, all air passengers 5 years of age or older, including Canadians, are required to show a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken within 72 hours of their scheduled time of departure to Canada.

Are there any facilities in the BVI where we, as tourists, would be able to get these tests done in that short amount of time?

Any Canadians here who have done the trip recently? It'd be great to get some first hand accounts.

Cheers!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/14/2021 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by bernk
Hi all.

My partner, friends, and I have long been looking forward to our first trip to the BVI (and first bareboat charter). Things are finally starting to look up, but some things remain unknown to me. For example, as it stands Canada has this requirement:
To be allowed to board a flight to Canada, all air passengers 5 years of age or older, including Canadians, are required to show a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken within 72 hours of their scheduled time of departure to Canada.

Are there any facilities in the BVI where we, as tourists, would be able to get these tests done in that short amount of time?

Any Canadians here who have done the trip recently? It'd be great to get some first hand accounts.

Cheers!

Yes, that's the same requirement that the US has with a few exceptions. Almost everyone visiting is already doing a test and receiving results 72 hours before travel.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/14/2021 10:07 PM

Exit tests are done at Peebles Hospital. We had ours done today: $70, no wait. Testers are non-English speaking Cubans, so they can’t answer questions.

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/14/2021 10:38 PM

Exit tests also available on JVD and VG.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/14/2021 11:03 PM

Just a general add to the discussion. Everyone I know who has been vaccinated has had a positive antibody test. The test is cheap and you get the results while you wait at CVS or most drugstores. Solves the USVI issues.
G
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 01:37 AM

Antibody test is good for 4 months .
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 03:45 AM

Another note on testing. If use use CVS don’t delete the text message telling you the results are in. Only the link in the text provides results in the correct format for the BVI. The mychart function does not show the name, address and phone number where the test was taken. The text link does.
G
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Another note on testing. If use use CVS don’t delete the text message telling you the results are in. Only the link in the text provides results in the correct format for the BVI. The mychart function does not show the name, address and phone number where the test was taken. The text link does.
G

I combined the test results and the visit summary into a pdf so everything was available. I didn't get a text message.
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 12:19 PM

The CVS text link sent by our CVS expired after 5 days so you need to download the results before then.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 12:24 PM

I know the antibody test results are good for 4 months to get into the USVI, but how long are they good for accessing the BVI?

Thanks!
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 01:07 PM

As of the latest information from the BVI government, the antibody test is not accepted. They now allow the rapid antigen test but it has to be within 5 days of arrival. There seems to be some debate as to what antigen tests will be accepted but I suspect that will be clarified over the next few days since acceptance of this test just started today.

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Time Will Tell
I know the antibody test results are good for 4 months to get into the USVI, but how long are they good for accessing the BVI?

Thanks!

not at all.
Posted By: picaflores

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/15/2021 01:27 PM

Read this on Facebook yesterday:

Real time update on exiting the BVIs via ferry to St. Thomas and flying out of STT (Mon Jun 14):
- Ferry from Jost to West End: no issues, but you should pre-arrange for a taxi from WE to Road Town as there were NONE this morning. We rode in with the school kids.
- Ferry check in (Smith’s Ferry): They wanted to see our “negative COVID test” and USVI portal approval. I explained we were using the antibody test. She looked at the report from LabCorp and questioned it because it didn’t say “positive”. Instead there is a paragraph that says antibodies were detected. I had to read it with them twice before they agreed. Also, we booked a round-trip ticket but the website did not allow me to select a return date, only a day of the week (Monday or Thursday). They did not have us on the passenger list as a result. They were able to eventually work it out, but make sure to call to confirm your date if you book round trip with Smith’s.
- Ferry: The 8 AM ferry left about 15 minutes late and arrived at 9:15 AM. We were some of the last people to get off the ferry and exited the building at 9:45 AM. So count on 30 minutes worst case.
- Airport: After so many people, the ferry company, and the airline said we had to be here at least 3 hours early, it was completely unnecessary. There were only a few people in each line (airline counter, customs, bag drop, and security). We are flying business class and have Global Entry and it took only about 15 minutes total. Without those I’d say maybe 30 - 45 minutes max. No Red Cap necessary. Maybe it’s busier on a Saturday, but we had the same experience flying on a Tuesday in March as well.
Posted By: SonOfTheSea

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/18/2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
Exit tests also available on JVD and VG.

Where on JVD and VG can these be done?
Posted By: MKGrey

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/18/2021 02:48 PM

Testing on JVD is behind the damaged church about a 5 minute walk from the dingy dock. Testing on VG is at the clinic, which is a five minute cab ride from Spanish Town docks. We tested in both places during our recent trip (we had unvaccinated kids that needed a day 4 test). JVD was considerably quicker and easier.
Posted By: Nibj

Re: Getting tested in the BVI? - 06/18/2021 11:38 PM

Person organizing the JVD test is very efficient. We had our exit tests done there. You need to be at the clinic early (7:45 in our case).
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline