TravelTalkOnline

Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew

Posted By: SVNorthStar

Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/29/2022 12:41 PM

Hey All

I'm leaving by private boat from the BVI for SXM tomorrow evening. A friend who is helping crew is arriving tonight at 8pm. Can I check him out of the BVI today with the vessel before he even arrives? Or must I wait until Sunday to clear out in this case? Also-I'll be anchored in Trellis tonight to facilitate picking him up. We'll leave from the North Sound tomorrow. What is the path of least resistance to clear out on a Sunday? Assume taxi from Trellis or Leverick to a customs office (is VG even open sunday)?

Any/all guidance much appreciated.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/29/2022 01:36 PM

Pretty sure you will need his Passport. (Also what if his flight gets cancelled?).

Spanish Town likely your best location. Taxi over Sunday morning. ...Verify open>
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/29/2022 01:41 PM

He will need his passport to get into the BVI and also to leave. Never heard of "checking out before checking in.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/29/2022 02:56 PM

It may be the process has been cleaned up and you won’t have issues however getting clearance to leave was very difficult last year. Have you called and talked with customs or better yet walked in and asked about the process? A friend had a terrible time trying to leave last April and I think Zanshin on this forum had more recent issues.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/29/2022 05:35 PM

Good luck in getting your pre-permission to clear out! You need to e-mail all your paperwork to Mr. Romney (who probably will not be working during the weekend) and he will, in his own sweet time, allow you to clear out. Without his clearance you won't be able to head to C&I at Road Town or the West End to clear out. He requires the boat paperwork, passport photocopies of everyone aboard, and current COVID-19 tests in order to start the process. I supplied everything required but had to wait over 2 weeks in order to be allowed to leave, and that only happened when I involved my consulate. Of course, your luck may vary; but I would be surprised if you could leave immediately. I suggest sending everything ASAP so that the process gets started.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/30/2022 03:36 PM

Why is it so difficult to leave? I captained a private yacht out of the BVI including myself last May. Took about 2 days to put all ducks in order. I would think that by now the procedure should be simple.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 01/30/2022 04:43 PM

It was 3 days last April for a friend to get clearance to leave. Prior to Covid took about 15 minutes.
G
Posted By: GreatLakes2Sea

Re: Clearing out Sailing Vessel/Crew - 02/02/2022 06:17 AM

Do you have a link to their procedures for clearing out?
Assuming Sailclear isn't enough to get this started based on your comments.
Do you know where the info is on the needed pre-clearance you mention?
And how long before check out can the pre-clearance be done?
Apologies for the Q's, did not see anything on this at the government website.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline