Member Spotlight
BobandJeana
BobandJeana
The Villages, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Kristi
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Brent, NumberCruncher, crsxm, Kennys, SXMNAN, MrEZgoin, Time Will Tell, xrayman67, ndfaninnc, Rbailey, skipdastraw, BillDauterive, ericlut, fabila, ColoBoater, Uksimonusa, jbutah, Fran, tangerine3, Sea_Skyman, davidandsusannj, bbeach, KirkB, Billtjw, Zanshin, TheJ, steve74, lcote, road3682, duckfat, Jspoone, sugarae, MNsnowbird, toast, pburke40, MKGrey, 6 invisible), 639 guests, and 105 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Yesterday at 10:51 PM Royal Islander [by dj1094]
Hello All
Any update on the A/C thank you DJ
1 198 Read More
Yesterday at 07:32 PM Cooper Island - backwinding visualized [by Matt W]
It's been about 10 years since we've been to Cooper Island, so we recently gave it another shot. Armed with a boatyball reservation (my first), we planned to eat dinner ashore. But, we caught a sizeable mahi en route, so we cancelled the dinner res. The resort is nice, and we enjoyed a drink at the rum bar and a game of cricket. But, I really don't see the appeal of this mooring field. There are more scenic anchorages and I really didn't care for the current / backwinding effects. Will probably be my last visit.

I took this time lapse over 6 minutes. Really helps to visualize how almost every boat is moving in another direction. Tried to post here as a gif, but it's too big, so here's the YouTube link.

Bonus shot of our mahi:
1 3 238 Read More
Yesterday at 07:31 PM No diving off moorings boat??? [by tangerine3]
We are chartering with moorings on Friday and there is a person that wanted to do a couple of dives and he contacted the dive shop at the base and was told no diving off boat, that sounds odd is that true?

Also just called "we be divin" tank rentals and she said they deliver to the moorings all the time, we are confused, any clarification would be appreciated
7 258 Read More
Yesterday at 07:25 PM Road to Club O [by Badbuck]
It’s been awhille since we’ve been to the island. It there a direct road from Orient village to the old club o beach without going up to the main road and backdown that pot holed gravel road? I just ate to drive on this island and would like to find a convenient location for easy access to Cedricks beach.
5 357 Read More
Yesterday at 04:30 PM Club Orient Donkey pics [by sxmmartini]
Friends just returned and sent me some pics…
3 8 491 Read More
Yesterday at 12:52 PM JVD Customs and Immigration [by MIDiver]
I did not realize that an incoming ferry will trump any private captains waiting to clear (in our case out). First in line at 8:15 this morning and the ferry came in and they got to clear first. A little peeved. Ok, more than a little. So - something to be aware of…..
2 235 Read More
Yesterday at 01:19 AM Mardi Gras Grand case [by jeepers]
Looks like it's postponed to next Tuesday night because of carnival parade taking place on the island.
2 303 Read More
Yesterday at 01:01 AM Leatherback Turtle Nest On Maho Beach [by Whale Tail]
The Nature Foundation St. Maarten (naturefoundationsxm.org) has confirmed the first sea turtle nest of the 2024 season laid on Maho Beach by a leatherback sea turtle. The area has been cordoned off. Don't know how to provide a link but you can check out their website. Pretty cool news and we hope that area is protected.
15 712 Read More
04/29/2024 08:27 PM Medical issues in so many trip reports [by sxmmartini]
I have to wonder why so many here are having medical issues?
What do we all have in common?
Most who post here are over 60 years old.
What insurance should I add for my next trip to SXM that would cover all medical bills?
12 837 Read More
04/29/2024 09:54 AM The limits of price elasticity [by MrEZgoin]
This is not the kind of thing I would ever put on FB, because of the inevitable commentary, but a few days ago we thought we'd dinghy over to Saba Rock from BEYC and have a light lunch.

Saba used to be one of our favorite stops and we remember the $2.50 happy hour painkillers. The food was never a bargain, but our boys enjoyed the burgers and the ambiance was always a big part of it. The painkiller is now $17. For a pre-mix "standard" with rum and a couple of simple ingredients.

Looking at the bar food menu, we would have both chosen a salad, but the "appetizer" salad was $21 plus $10 to $12 to add a protein, making this a $33 appetizer salad at informal bar seating.

Eventually, we decided we just couldn't enjoy that and left without ordering and ate aboard.
Not sure what the point is, but somehow it made me sad. Looking over at Saba from BEYC, it almost always looks empty these days. Maybe that's different in the busiest times.

They are, of course, free to set their prices however they like, but for this couple who were once frequent visitors Saba is now just a spot that's pretty to look at and paddle around. sad
11 726 Read More