Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Eric_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: CGB]
      #1740594 - 08/10/17 03:41 PM (47.192.5.2)

Yes, there has been more than one, but this report will answer you question about how it works with Skymed anyway.

Skymed Evacuation from St. Martin

--------------------
Eric Hill
TTOL Shop

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Twanger
Traveler

Loc: Maryland
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: CGB]
      #1740655 - 08/11/17 11:13 AM (50.193.144.241)

Quote:

CGB said:
All interesting chatter.....

Does anyone have "first-hand knowledge" and actually gone through a claim process with any of these insurance companies?
And, specifically - with evac ?

Otherwise... kinda moot to be arguing which is best... no ?

I have made two claims.

First time was in 2000 when my wife had to have emergency gall bladder surgery the night before our bareboat charter trip. We totally re-set the trip for a month later. They (AccessAmerica, if memory serves) covered the costs we would have had to eat.

About 10 years ago I came down with a norovirus the night before we were supposed to travel. We decided to put our departure back a day, because I was so sick I could not even stand up. The airline wanted to charge us $2,000 a ticket for the change, which was then covered by the insurance. I can't remember who we got for the insurance that time.

BEERMAN
Traveler

Loc: VIRGINIA
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Twanger]
      #1740658 - 08/11/17 11:30 AM (108.45.108.124)

We always get insurance, we use CSA Trip Insurance. Haven't needed to claim med evac with it luckily, only one claim when I backed a jeep into a stick that blew out the back window.

However, this last trip I had good peace of mind having it because of the "state of emergency" on Tortola. If we needed to leave a day earlier we could not have.

Nutmeg
Traveler

Loc: St. Thomas, USVI
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Eric_Hill]
      #1740683 - 08/11/17 03:09 PM (204.11.157.102)

I have to say, we always buy insurance when we travel. Living in St Thomas and seeing the number of visitors who come here yearly and fall/break a hip, have a stroke, have a car accident, etc. makes you be extra careful. Read the small print and make sure you will be taken where you want, not the closest available (from St Thomas, that is usually Puerto Rico). Also, make sure you have health insurance, because you need to have a facility and physician who are willing to accept you. From first hand observation only.

--------------------
NUTMEG
Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.

Annoddddd
Traveler

Loc: East Tennessee
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Nutmeg]
      #1742152 - 08/30/17 03:21 PM (108.171.131.187)

My husband and I are trying to find the best plan for our needs. We have 3 upcoming trips between November, 2017 and April, 2018 to the BVI and St. John.

We believe we want/need only evacuation insurance in case of a medical emergency as we both have BlueCross/Blue Shield with out of network benefits.

We think we have narrowed it down to one of the following:

1. MedJet Assist for a 1 year plan at $395. (Allows us to evacuate to the hospital of our choice and is completely at our discretion. Repatriation included.)

2. GeoBlue Voyager Choice for 3 individual trips at $68.20/trip. ($500,000 for evacuation (as secondary) at the discretion of the attending docs and insurance. Repatriation included.)

We both work in healthcare and understand the risks of being able to choose our own hospitals and physicians. But, we know nothing about care in Puerto Rico. Is care there really that questionable? Anyone have any direct experience or know of experiences?

Such a tough decision to try and do the right thing.

Thanks in advance!

Nutmeg
Traveler

Loc: St. Thomas, USVI
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Annoddddd]
      #1742157 - 08/30/17 04:52 PM (204.11.157.92)

"But, we know nothing about care in Puerto Rico. Is care there really that questionable? Anyone have any direct experience or know of experiences?"

Well, regardless of what people say about the folks in Puerto Rico being bilingual, most of the service providers (not the docs) speak Spanish only. It's amazing that they will send reports of VI patients totally in Spanish. My med evac insurance takes me to Florida.

--------------------
NUTMEG
Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Nutmeg]
      #1742164 - 08/30/17 08:13 PM (107.77.253.4)

....thus speaks someone who is in the health care biz in St Thomas.. Just sayin'

Annoddddd
Traveler

Loc: East Tennessee
Re: Medical Evacuation Insurance [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1742176 - 08/30/17 11:38 PM (73.108.4.147)

That sums it up beautifully! We never considered the language barrier.

Thank you!

Edited by Annoddddd (08/30/17 11:39 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 3578

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL