Member Spotlight
ndfaninnc
ndfaninnc
Kannapolis, NC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
cpnsxm, grower53, J_Shan
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (SXMbeacher, RonDon, duke63, Jeannius, caribbeangirl13, Buddyhog, kaba, boucharda, George1234, enzosxm, bigbone, Memphré, sumbeach, cvo, bigbobthib, SXMScubaman, bailau, eightzerobits, SammyM, Kirk, BruceU, Sandsailsun, Doowop47, jpfitzy7, NCSailor, SeeDiver, Todd, tradewinds, GW248, Newt, CottageGirl, SoakInSaltwater, cwoody, sxmdux503, xrayman67, 16 invisible), 792 guests, and 408 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
10 minutes ago Short notes on a visit #1 [by boucharda]
Ok just some random running comments:

...Lee's...same great food minus the atmosphere which was a biggie with me...but....still great food (grilled fish with garlic butter sauce)

...BBB,,,very enjoyable early on a quiet night. Ribs are covered in BBQ sauce (spicy) and were decent ...not a BBQ sauce person but these were fine....two fers on the drinks also . EXCELLENT French waiter that didn't push us out and was very friendly

...Nowhere Special...first visit. Grouper with Creole sauce was excellent. Not very many people there..Waitress was emotionless but got the job done. Has the view of the ships and the sailing school practicing....."atmosphere"

...Carrefour Cole Bay...fantastic store. If they don't have what you want you don't need it. French, Duch, USA foods.Great produce and meat section. Must have been 50 kinds of packaged sliced ham...overkill but interesting. $19/case for Carib

...Super U in Marigot....decent market and great French wine selection but would defer to Carrefour for other items. Carib $19.95/case

...Sunset Beach Bar...mistakingly went on a five cruise ship day...never left the roundabout and ended up on Simpson Bay Beach....good decision. Try again another day. Lots of wave erosion beach drop offs sometimes 3-4 feet. But quiet. Karacter and MB doing a decent but not crowded business.

...Roman Abramovich"s 767 arrived on Monday and left Wednesday...still amazed on that plane's size

...Last night Rising Sun (453 ft) wandered into the bay in front of SBR and joined Eclipse (536 ft) and a new one to me Ocean Victory (459 ft)...quite a site

I will save my Happy Bay and Lolo comments for tomorrow,,,,,

1 25 Read More
3 hours ago Booked! May 2nd - May 10 2020 - DYC Bali 4.3 [by UncleLuff]
Finally was able to heard all the cats together and booked a Bali 4.3 through DYC. We are flying right into Beef Island May 2nd - get in at 1430. Depart early Sunday May 10 0815! So excited to be going back after a three year break. I know it won't be the same as before Irma (will especially miss Saba Rock!) Really looking forward to spending some time on Scrub Island is it will be my first time.

I will be spending a lot of time in front of Soggie Dollar bar to see if I can find that $100 bill I lost back in 2017 duh....and drinking pain killers toast

Really interested to try the Bali 4.3 which is basically a floating hotel.... hope it doesn't sail like one! We got a 2020 version so hopefully they have worked out a lot of the kinks.... swing by for a drink if you see us down there!
0 68 Read More
16 hours ago First Time Sailing BVI [by thefosterfarm]
Looking for suggestions. We have chartered a crewed Catamaran for 4 couples for June of this year. Will leave out of Red Hook St. Thomas. We've visited the USVI and BVI previously, but have never sailed around it. Would like to ask the following:

1) Any suggestions for travel backpacks large enough to hold a week's worth of stuff? The sailing company is suggesting soft-sided type duffel, but just carrying a heavy duffel bag through airports will be too difficult for this gal.

2) Any suggestions on routes? Having been to BVI before, we definitely want to revisit The Baths in Virgin Gorda, and I would absolutely LOVE to go to Anegada again, but understand there are time restraints that might not make that possible. And, of course, Soggy Dollar Bar is a must, although we had seen in before the hurricaine previously.

3) Preferred diving spots? My husband has gone diving in BVI just once previously. We have 5 out of 8 folks who are divers on this trip.

4) Any other tips on doing this sailing thing would be helpful. A few members feel nervous about being "seasick", including me. I have had trouble in the past with off-shore fishing trips out of St. Thomas. A week on a boat is a little overwhelming.

Thank you to any and all that give us some tips!
6 268 Read More
Yesterday at 04:19 PM Itinerary Help! - Diamond Cay vs. Cooper/Peter? [by UncleLuff]
So I have posted an itinerary on a previous thread but wanted to get some more input.
Haven’t booked but am close to booking through DYC for May this year. It will be 4 friends (all guys) and two have never been to the BVIs and wewill want to party at good lively bars and eat good food vs quiet nights. The departure from scrub on a Sunday morning makes for an interesting counter clock wise itinerary. I’ll post it below and would appreciate thoughts. My main question is whether or not a night at Diamond Cay vs a night at either Cooper/Peter island is worth it. Points to consider:
1) I have heard good things about Foxy’s Taboo and but some recent feedback (from forum mbmers) said that the food wasn’t that great and service not good as well. Not sure if this is an anomaly or a trend?
2) I have never stopped at Diamond Cay and looking to give it a try, also want to check out B-Line
3) Itinerary is such that if we stop off at Diamond Cay would not to stop at Cooper or Peter Island
4) We will be stopping at Great Harbour/Little Harbour or white bay as well…

Itinerary
- Sat - Scrub - arrive 2:30 pm. provision, chart brief
- Sun - Anegada - boat brief, sail to Anegada, Cow Wreck bay for the day, dinner at wonky dog
- Mon - CGB - the usual
- Tue - Little JVD - B-line, dingie to sandy spit, hike to bubbly pool dinner at Foxy's Taboo
- Wed - White bay/Great Harbour - some sailing, sandy Cay, see if we can get a ball at Ivan's (WB) or great harbour, white bay for drinks and beach, Corsairs for dinner, night at Foxy's
- Thu - Norman - Provision at west end. Soapers hole, shopping souvenirs, snorkel at the caves, Dinner at Pirates Bight, party at Willie T's
- Fri - Leverick - early morning stop at the Indians for snorkel, slip at leverick, taxi/car rental to baths in pm, BBQ at Leverick
- Sat - Scrub - refuel at Leverick and depart around noon, sail to Scrub, on the slip sat night, check boat in, relax drink, Celebrate successful cruise
- Sun - Scrub early morning departure first boat 6:30am - 8:15 flight
15 509 Read More
Yesterday at 07:08 AM Singing Chef-??? [by sloopguy]
Hi folks, I'll be making 25th charter next week come 1/23, since 1988. Over the years heard lots of live music but one guy I used to go out of my way to hear was Al Broderick, a.k.a.the singing chef. When he's on he's off the hook good. Looking online info for live music is very spotty and Limin' Times when found is usually out of date. I am wondering if anyone knows if he's 1. still alive, 2. Still playing the circuit and 3. where he might be found or any leads that might lead me to him. I know over the years he's played more private events but I'm hoping to catch him while on the loop.....best
3 451 Read More
Yesterday at 02:25 AM Super Bowl LIV [by OutofBounds]
OMG someone booked our charter over Super Bowl weekend and now the boys are crying...big babies! boohoo I told them I would try to find out where they could watch the game but made no commitments noevil

Right now the sail plan has us on JVD for game day but because they are on the floor kicking their feet I'm willing to change plans in order to catch the game.

Any leads on best or any places to watch the game? Bonus points if there is a suggestion that keeps my sail plan in tact wave

Thank you!
5 291 Read More
Yesterday at 01:35 AM Great Harbour JVD [by VI Fun!]
Working on our itinerary for mid-April. I was wondering about how many FCFS mooring balls are available in Great Harbour, JVD? My understanding is that Boaty Ball has taken over quite a few mooring balls and is nearly impossible to reserve through them. We never had a problem getting a mooring ball in the past at Great Harbour but we have typically chartered in June. What time do you estimate we need to arrive to get a mooring ball in mid April? If we can't get a ball in Great Harbour our back up plan is Little Harbour. Is there a taxi from Little Harbour to White Bay? Is it an option to dinghy to White Bay from Little Harbour? It looks to be about 2 miles and the longest distance we have gone in a dinghy is from Leverick to Prickly Pear island. Thanks for your help.
8 621 Read More
01/15/2020 06:28 PM SkyMed [by The_Lurker]
Anyone use SkyMed Insurance?

We have been overpaying for insurance for Years and decided to try a simple
policy for expenses and SkyMed for medical evacuation.

Does anyone have any experience with them??
8 617 Read More
01/15/2020 06:21 PM Wai Plage - Quick Lunch [by PelicanPirate]
So we got a late start one morning heading to beach last week like it was 1pm and thought where to eat Good Morning, Yellow Sub, Wai Plage.

Wai Plage it was. Parked and walked in the south side. Given a nice table under main roof.

Ordered/shared chicken kebabs and lobster linguini, carib, diet coke.

Came pretty quickly.

Lobster linquini was thick noodles with a thick sauce and many large and small pieces of lobster.
Good filling portion.

The kabobs looked/taste great just like i like them. But they weren’t warm or hot. They could of put them on the grill for 1 minute and perfecto.

I got the idea they were either cooked and put in a case like european sandwiches. I hope they werent just sitting there to get outdoor room temp.

We ate em and all was well.

Worried it would slow us up to the beach. It didnt.

The wait staff and greeter were great, friendly and tag teamed ordering delivering and checking up on things.

I didnt mention the kabob temp as maybe thats the way they intended it. Looked and tastes greate.
2 385 Read More
01/15/2020 05:37 PM Sugar Mill Hotel, Tortola [by lcbnc]
I'm finding that NO listed phone number will get through to the hotel -- anyone had any better luck than I? Ideas appreciated!
1 194 Read More