Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: I wouldn't fly United myself... [Re: pat]
      #1729728 - 04/11/17 07:24 PM (69.250.90.69)

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your comment.

My thoughts are that way too many airlines are run by bean counters instead of aviators...

Bean counters only care about profits and losses. Aviators care about safely getting their aircraft, themselves, and their passengers from origin to destination safely, comfortably, and enjoyably.

United used to be run by Aviators. Now it is run by bean counters... And we all suffer.

For what it's worth (not much)... I hold an FAA commercial pilot license, ASMEL-I, which has been inactive for a long time since I chose a USAF career in EW and program management (less than perfect eyesight) followed by the defense electronics industry before retiring for good 4 years ago.

Bill

--------------------
Bill

Edited by Bill_S (04/11/17 07:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kennys
Sponsor

Re: I wouldn't fly United myself... [Re: Bob_Dot]
      #1729736 - 04/11/17 08:29 PM (131.161.86.252)

His shady past does not deserve this kind of treatment.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1729743 - 04/11/17 09:56 PM (173.46.78.163)

Well, he actually wasn't ever arrested, that wasn't what happened. If he had actually been arrested, the situation wouldn't have been so bizarre and awful.

However, as of now, United's stock has lost about 1 BILLION dollars in value.. The stock probably will rebound at least some, but I still predict that the CEO is in big trouble.

Bahston
Traveler

#1729749 - 04/11/17 10:57 PM (96.233.64.115)

Lawyers are also drooling over the fact that the UA gate agents tried to invoke an oversold situation which didn't exist, didn't execute it properly, and were actually trying to accommodate deadheading crew.

The Chicago Department of Aviation (not the Chicago Police Department) may or may not have been misinformed about the nature of the passenger situation. They became the airline's stormtroopers (a word which I do not use lightly) - impossible to refuse, impossible to resist, and willing to employ brute force.

I don't see this ending well for a lot of people. At the end of the day, changes will be made. A few will profit, a few will hopefully be penalized in some manner, most won't, and there will be unintended consequences.

A few unintended consequences that I see - If overbooking diminishes then fares will rise accordingly. If rules involving deadheading crew changes then that may have an impact on where crew live - for example, I know a Flight Attendant who lives in Florida, but who works out of the Charlotte crew base - not uncommon.

The story, and the resulting impact, will continue to modify over the coming month(s).

GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: I wouldn't fly United myself... [Re: Bahston]
      #1729759 - 04/12/17 06:34 AM (174.194.15.45)

Quote:

Bahston said:
If rules involving deadheading crew changes then that may have an impact on where crew live - for example, I know a Flight Attendant who lives in Florida, but who works out of the Charlotte crew base - not uncommon.

I agree with everything you say in your post. We also have a friend, a pilot for Jet Blue, who lives in Emerald Isle, NC and is based in Boston.

The_Lurker
Traveler

Loc: Connecticut
Re: I wouldn't fly United myself... [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1729785 - 04/12/17 09:15 AM (24.46.34.179)

When we were leaving SXM last week, on Delta, we were delayed at least 30 minutes because it was overbooked. (The did make up the time flying.)
The strange part of it is they paid 10 people $700 each to give up their seats, while there were at least that many empty in the comfort seats area when we left!!???
People are always saying to check to see if you can get upgraded, if there are empty seats, yet they held up the whole flight to get people to volunteer to leave.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Re: I wouldn't fly United myself... [Re: The_Lurker]
      #1729786 - 04/12/17 09:17 AM (47.192.9.53)

OK, now that's weird!!

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

#1729790 - 04/12/17 09:40 AM (47.192.9.53)

The CEO of United was just interviewed this morning, and said he felt "shame" watching the video. Took him a while.. He also said that the passenger was totally NOT at fault. We'll see what happens from here.

PrairieGirl
Traveler

Loc: Edam, Saskatchewan - Canada
Re: I wouldn't fly United myself... [Re: The_Lurker]
      #1729796 - 04/12/17 10:11 AM (142.165.85.254)

It may have been a weight problem you experienced, not an over sale of passenger seats, or a combination of both. I was already boarded on a flight from SXM to DC when they announced that they were overweight and started trying to get passengers to take comp to get off the plane. They kept trying and no one budged. They next said they would offload "cargo". The "cargo"? You guessed it, luggage. One of my bags included, even though we were FC and supposedly priority. Told in DC that "hmm, that was not SOP". Yeah, if your bags are to be off first when you land, I guess they were the easiest to grab and offload in this situation!

--------------------
LeAnn

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

ruralcarrierModerator

Loc: Ohio
      #1729807 - 04/12/17 11:42 AM (24.209.195.61)

An interesting read below:

A Pilot Wife Perspective

--------------------
J.D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4632

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline