Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
kish
Traveler

Loc: Quebec
Re: Strict on return tickets? [Re: pat]
      #1532299 - 09/05/13 08:46 AM (74.57.19.52)

Quote:

pat said:
I address this to no one in particular - but I just don't get "WHY" people are surprised and/or upset that the country should be enforcing their own rules and laws.

Just print the darned paperwork and carry it with you and be done with it. It only takes a few minutes to do and once done, all your bases are covered. No hassle and no aggravation......... or am I missing something?

I agree Pat. I always have printed copies of all my documents in my carry on luggage. Why would anyone not do this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillandElaine
Traveler

Loc: St Maarten
Re: Strict on return tickets? [Re: Anonymous]
      #1532301 - 09/05/13 08:55 AM (200.7.53.230)

If you're a legal resident, you don't need a return ticket. But you do need your residency documents.

--------------------
Elaine
God Bless the broken road....

BlueGreenWater
Traveler

Re: Strict on return tickets? [Re: BillandElaine]
      #1532724 - 09/09/13 08:29 AM (71.51.246.193)

Is the rule 90 days in a year, or 90 days at one stay? We go for 60 days each year, but have neighbors who have several months of timeshare and they believe the rule is 90 days per visit, not per year.

soualigacapt
Traveler

Loc: Oyster Pond St. Martin
Re: Strict on return tickets? [Re: BlueGreenWater]
      #1532726 - 09/09/13 08:44 AM (190.102.4.213)

As far as I know it's 90 days per year but this is always at the discretion of the person reviewing the status and as it is with a lot on the dutch side the story changes depending on who you ask in the government or to put it bluntly, nobody knows what the hell is going on!

Snorkeller
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
Re: Strict on return tickets? [Re: soualigacapt]
      #1532761 - 09/09/13 10:42 AM (108.4.112.247)

Quote:

soualigacapt said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:
We no longer own or come to SXM.However.I recall Justice department lost in court on the "Friendship Teaty which allows 6months per year for U.S. residents.Perhaps Immigration on SXM prefers to ignore court rulings

The friendship treaty is with Holland and Sint Maarten is not Holland. It is an independent country that can make it's own treaties and is not bound by treaties with Holland. That is why the government is appealing the court ruling.

Well - if you are one of the 5 or 6 people on this Board who have any interest in this -

Sint Maarten is one of the four constituent countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The fundamental legally controlling document for the goverance of Sint Maarten is the Charter of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The actions of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, politically speaking, is largely controlled by the Netherlands (one of the four constituent countries which has about 99% of population of Kingdom. The Kingdom Charter and the manner in which things happen gives control of defense and foreign affairs very largely to the Kingdom and therefore to the Netherlands.

The question of whether a pre-10-10-10 treaty is applicable or if applicable controlling in matters of residency or work rules in Sint Maarten is one for lawyers to spend lots of time and make lots of money for lots of years.

And, incidentally, I agree with you 100% on your statement that no one knows what the hell is going on!!!

Unregistered

#1532763 - 09/09/13 10:44 AM (68.100.78.185)

Quote:

soualigacapt said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:
We no longer own or come to SXM.However.I recall Justice department lost in court on the "Friendship Teaty which allows 6months per year for U.S. residents.Perhaps Immigration on SXM prefers to ignore court rulings

The friendship treaty is with Holland and Sint Maarten is not Holland. It is an independent country that can make it's own treaties and is not bound by treaties with Holland. That is why the government is appealing the court ruling.

Holland is not a country. Sint Maarten is still part of the Dutch Kingdom so not actually an "independent" country. The Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands governs the relationship of all four of the Dutch Kingdom constituent countries. Foreign affairs are matters which the Dutch Kingdom holds responsibility.

Unregistered

Re: Strict on return tickets? [Re: Chuck_Morton]
      #1532807 - 09/09/13 12:41 PM (63.135.20.147)

The issue is, I don't always book a return right away. I often get last minute deals...

Unregistered

#1532810 - 09/09/13 12:44 PM (12.9.88.204)

So I guess the issue is the laws only apply to other folks. Hold out for your deals. Whats the worse can happen?

soualigacapt
Traveler

Loc: Oyster Pond St. Martin
      #1532826 - 09/09/13 02:09 PM (190.102.4.213)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
Quote:

soualigacapt said:
Quote:

Anonymous said:

Holland is not a country. Sint Maarten is still part of the Dutch Kingdom so not actually an "independent" country. The Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands governs the relationship of all four of the Dutch Kingdom constituent countries. Foreign affairs are matters which the Dutch Kingdom holds responsibility.

I should have said the Kingdom of the Netherlands and I think Country Sint Maarten does not consider residency under foreign affairs. I think they believe they have the right to determine their own residency requirements under internal affairs. I could be wrong but the bottom line is that Country St. Maarten does not recognize the American Friendship Treaty and it will have to run it's course through the courts to determine how it will turn out. As of right now, Americans are subject to the same rules as anyone else from a foreign country.

SharonfromSXM
Sponsor

Loc: St. Maarten/Long Island
      #1532877 - 09/09/13 05:13 PM (173.2.153.26)

Sorry to disagree with you Bob but the government lost their last case against the owner of a well now business on the island. The court ruling upheld the validity of the Treaty & the fact that the island had to recognize it. The government had to even pay the other persons legal fees.

"Concerning the Dutch/US Friendship Treaty, Duncan said US citizens could not be treated the same as other foreigners. Their applications will be checked to ensure they comply with the protocol attached to the treaty that grants US citizens the same rights as European Dutch citizens. However, the application of the treaty will lead to a call for "reciprocity" from the US for St. Maarten people who want to live in the US."

http://thedailyherald.com/index.php/isla...e-permits-.html

Of course this does not guarantee that they won't take you to the police station but any attorney should have out of there in a hurry as long as your stay was less than 6 months...

--------------------
www.queenofsxm.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4838

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline