Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1
SXMWendell
Traveler

Still problems for the French side
      #1593577 - 06/08/14 10:45 PM (76.206.22.127)

Geeze ,a continuation of things why I don't go to the French side anymore

DH article here

I used to love to stay on the French side. But over the years have gone over there less and less. Course all the "rose colored glasses people" will continue to say "I feel safe" whether they actually are or not. And I always love the phrase " use common sense and you'll be ok" Who's guaranteeing that? Used to be the phrases were "Don't go in that area after dark" But now things are happening during the day. It is sad when an area like Grand Case had to form an organization to pool money to hire protection for their businesses because they couldn't rely on their government.

Anyhow off the rant. But I do miss the way the French side used to be.

SXM??? Wendell

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: Still problems for the French side [Re: SXMWendell]
      #1593589 - 06/09/14 09:35 AM (70.211.209.151)

I miss the way the world used to be. When I was six, I would walk up to the corner candy store by myself. This morning's news reported an armed robbery in the town closest to me, along with the arrest of a man who shot a teenager in another nearby town. It's not just the French side of St. Martin; it's everywhere.

CLEM
Traveler

Loc: BRISTOL, RI
      #1593612 - 06/09/14 11:49 AM (68.14.88.22)

It's both sides. The difference is that the French prosecute quickly.

--------------------
CLEM

Unregistered

Re: Still problems for the French side [Re: GaKaye]
      #1593621 - 06/09/14 12:42 PM (96.253.198.198)

Nice analogy. To bad It does not pertain to a vacation spot. Yes all changes, and would it not be nice if we all lived in la la land...This Island can not afford the bad reputation its getting and with meaning.. Resturants are hurting and so are businesses. Small Island, bad news, not good. This is not your city, or your state in the U.S. this is a place that depends on revenue... Yours my friend is not enough..

LBI2SXM
Traveler

Re: Still problems for the French side [Re: Anonymous]
      #1593625 - 06/09/14 12:52 PM (76.116.17.14)

I agree with Georgia. Nothing is the same. Chicago alone had 27 people shot this weekend around the city, four of them dead.

2fingers
Traveler

Loc: a little right of center
Re: Still problems for the French side [Re: LBI2SXM]
      #1593626 - 06/09/14 12:58 PM (70.126.15.8)

How is that different then last weekend?

--------------------
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere!"

charlieh
Traveler

Loc: Greensboro, NC
      #1593631 - 06/09/14 01:10 PM (67.232.31.137)

Nothing new about Marigot being a bad place for crime - too bad, as it used to be such a wonderful place to visit. However the scooter with 2 armed robbers is the bigger problem.

Snorkeller
Traveler

Loc: Virginia
      #1593706 - 06/09/14 06:50 PM (81.248.21.180)

I do not understand why you would feel or think that the Dutch side is safer than the French side. I think stating that there is a greater risk to personal safety on the French side is without factual basis.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
      #1593717 - 06/09/14 08:04 PM (32.216.68.135)

Technically speaking, and not to be argumentative, Wendell, but shouldn't that really be reasons why you don't go to island St. Martin at all rather than going and limiting yourself to one side of the island or the other?

We just spent two and a half perfect and totally uneventful weeks on St. Maarten/St. Martin, all over both sides of the island, and yes, rose colored glasses and all, we did feel safe and particularly so while in Grand Case although I should qualify that by saying most of our time was spent in the somewhat closed environment of the GCBC while there, but really, the crime thing can and does happen all over and whenever, so your choices aren't great - go and be forewarned and aware or stay home and be regretful!! I still prefer no regrets......

We have a lot of things happening near where I live that didn't happen when we first moved here, but sadly, time doesn't stand still, things do change, and often NOT for the better.

With regard specifically to the island, we all know open borders allow the little creeps to be all over the island doing their nasty deeds wherever and whenever the opportunity presents itself and the goods are worth grabbing, so IMHO, which side is really a non-issue anymore. Just sayin'.........

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Unregistered

Re: Still problems for the French side [Re: pat]
      #1593763 - 06/10/14 08:05 AM (96.253.198.198)

Much more seclusion on the French side, especially marigot. Walking on deserted streets is one, There are more people on Dutch side and more safe places. That does not mean that crime is not there... Ask the business owners if business is the same or even resturants... We no longer venture to French side, but to each his own.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 2784

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline