Traveltalkonline.com Forums

People Talk >> SXM People Talk

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JimCandD
Traveler

Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: Carol_Hill]
      #1665606 - 10/03/15 08:48 PM (74.221.68.40)

We got back to Maine from Atlanta today on Delta. When we got the tickets in July they said that seats would be assigned at the gate. On the trip down we were together, but today we were in different seats. They were assigned when we got to the gate, but there were no two seats together. I would have wanted to be with my wife to feel sad together after leaving the grandchildren, but I guess a couple of hours apart didn't ruin our marriage.

Is this a policy for airlines now? I had never heard of it before except for standby tickets in the past.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GaKaye
Traveler

Loc: Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: JimCandD]
      #1665649 - 10/04/15 10:14 AM (70.193.58.158)

I don't think it's the norm. We flew American in July and had seat assignments when we purchased our tickets, and we have seat assignments for our November SXM flights.

SXMScubaman
Traveler

Loc: Auburn, WA
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: GaKaye]
      #1665660 - 10/04/15 10:59 AM (174.31.143.219)

Correct. I have seat assignments for our May trip on AA and two seat assignments for two different trips to Alaska on Alaska Air next summer.
Our Vegas trip and Mazatlan trip on Alaska Air have seat assignments too.
All this done with on line booking.

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
      #1665661 - 10/04/15 11:04 AM (32.216.68.12)

I'm in complete agreement with GaKaye on this. The only times I've ever seen or heard of this was when a flight was mostly sold out or people were waiting for upgrades or had neglected to choose seats at the time they booked. We only fly Delta on very rare occasions but have not experienced it when we did and it it has never happened to me on AA or JB. But we aren't world class travelers and don't generally fly but three or four times a year, so who knows?

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
      #1665667 - 10/04/15 11:15 AM (68.247.239.225)

I personally haven't flown Delta in some time, but some airlines are going to a policy where you have to pay extra for assigned seats at time of booking. So far, AA has been charging more for some seats, but if you don't pay anything extra, you can still get an assigned seat, although it may not be toward the front of the plane.

BeachKitten
Traveler

Loc: Maryland/DC Metro
      #1665675 - 10/04/15 12:01 PM (108.18.118.16)

We are booked Delta down on the 24th, and flight is full. No 2 seats together without paying, so hubby and I are 14 rows or so apart.
Not happy, and we probably won't have any luck attempting to change at the gate.
Same story for our American return flight two weeks later. It sucks.
(Two one ways were cheaper than round trip)

I'm not happy about how they charge more for aisle seats or exit rows. But they weren't even an option as the flight was FULL.

--------------------
"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" ;)

PreK176
Traveler

Loc: Granville, MA
      #1665702 - 10/04/15 05:01 PM (71.192.225.206)

When we book early enough we always get seats together. When you wait last minute to book and you don't/can't choose seats then seats are assigned on check in. We have done this too. We always book seats together with US Air, AA, Delta, JB etc. On Southwest we do Early bird.have had no issues.

--------------------
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

biglar
Traveler

Loc: PA
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: PreK176]
      #1665735 - 10/04/15 07:36 PM (173.8.12.101)

I just went online and checked-in. Did do it almost exactly 24 hours from flight time. Got "A" boarding with #s 22, 23, 24, 25. Looks like we will be some of the first to board and get our choice of seats. Thanks for the info!

--------------------
www.lifewithldub.blogspot.com

Bill_S
Traveler

Loc: Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: biglar]
      #1665764 - 10/05/15 07:35 AM (69.138.217.199)

Great!

The only other piece of advice now is to make sure all four of you are at your gate at least 35 minutes before scheduled departure...preferably 45 or 50...

Southwest starts lining up the A Group while the last passengers from the inbound aircraft are still deplaning. Usually the A Group will begin boarding right at 30 minutes before departure...sometimes earlier, and if someone in your party is off to the rest room or a store they will have to board later whenever they get back to the gate area.

SW starts boarding early ao they can pull away from the gate exactly at the published departure tiime or even earlier if they have everyone on board before then. They try to minimize the turn-around times at each airport to get better utilization of each aircraft in their fleet and to keep up their reputation for on-time performance.

Enjoy your vavcation!

--------------------
Bill

boucharda
Traveler

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Southwest Airlines boarding question [Re: biglar]
      #1667867 - 10/22/15 09:09 AM (24.60.32.138)

I realize you probably have already taken your flight but I just wanted to add a few clarifications re: SWA Early Bird boarding...

$12.50 each way

Automatic check in 36 hours in advance and boarding number assigned at that time...no need to go online except to print your boarding pass (24 hours in advance of the flight)

The earlier you book your flight the better you will do in the number assignment.

Most always you will end up in A but if booked late you will probably be in the front of the B line...still ahead of a bunch of travelers.

Remember, on a connecting flight there will already be some passengers on board so you will have to deal with that fact.

Early Bird will be assigned for all connections on a trip.

It has worked for us BUT our main airline is now JB because of the N/S flights and extra room (SWA leg room is decent also)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 4269

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline