Trip Reports (Read Only) >> SXM Trip Reports and Photos

Pages: 1

Joined: 01/27/15
Posts: 232
Loc: Canada
Trip Report No. 1
      #1737452 - 02/11/17 10:00 AM (

This is the first of three reports to get myself caught up. I was planning on doing these sooner, but ran into a problem. I couldnít log-in to TTOL, and had to contact Admin to reset my password. Thank you Eric for your help! Also the internet has been really slow and/or not working, which has been frustrating

7th February - we arrived without a hitch after an 11 hour travel day. Woke up at 4 a.m. and left the house at 5 a.m. greeted by a cold blast of Arctic air; it was -11. We had been wondering if we would even make it out the door; we were under a weather advisory most of Monday that kept on changing every half-hour, however, Mother Nature was kind and held off blowing through until we were up in the air heading for SXM

Arrival at SXM was uneventful and we breezed through Immigration; had a bit of a wait to get our bags - they were unloading one at a time! Our Hertz guy was waiting to take us to get our car, then we were all set.

Arrived at our destination and changed into shorts and flip-flops before heading out to get some groceries. Once we got those put away it was off for our usual first night ritual of going to Martyís Dream Bar for a beer, then the SBBG for something to eat The sun was beginning to set so we didnít have a chance to take in everything; once past the SBBG (which should now be referred to as SBBG/The Refuge) it was like a ghost town, everything on the right was closed and in the case of C Lounge burnt out.

We were surprised Martyís bar was open as there wasnít anyone around except the bartender. Marty has been off of the island since last year. He got married to Lori and hasnít returned to SXM yet. Since we were there we decided to have a beer and chat with the bartender for a while. He opens the bar around 5 p.m. each day because there is usually nobody around during the afternoon, so itís not worth his while. There werenít too many lights on in rooms, and not much sign of life, so I donít think many people are staying there. What a surprise?

After our beer we left, partly due to the fact that we were getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, even though we had sprayed our legs with Off. We checked out The Dunes and it was dead as doornails, then headed to SBBG/The Refuge to eat. We walked into The Refuge and there was hardly anyone there, the same applied to what I will refer to as the ďoldĒ part. There was a laser light show going on above the pool area, sort of fancy. After sitting at a table for a while and being ignored, we got up and left - so much for dinner. Heading back the other way we decided to grab some eats at The Driftwood Bar, but they had closed their kitchen, so after debating the yeahs and nays of Mexican versus Italian food we went to Williesís for Chinese instead. After dinner we returned to our condo and called it a night.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 43

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline